overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 2784   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
Launched on December 26th 1989 @ 9% abv. Abv reduced from 9% to 8.5% in 2003.
The particular character and the unique taste of "Delirium Tremens" result from the use of three different kinds of yeast. Its very original packing, which resembles cologne ceramics, and the colourful label contribute to its success.
In 1997, Stuart A. Kallen nominated Delirium Tremens as "best beer in the world". A gold medal during the "world beer championships" in Chicago (1998) confirmed that worldwide recognition.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mikejmadden99 (103) - Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2002
When I saw the name Delirium Tremens on a tap handle, it reminded me of what I had read in a few beer books, and how it was "some" authors number one beer. Well when the lovely bartender poured me this beer I had much antisipated, buy the look of the orangish brown Beligian-Style beer emiting from the tap I looked not to be disapointed. Then she delivered this treat to me, and at my first smell of this beer my senses highten as I readied myself to tasted the best beer of my life......... BUT, I was suddenly dissapointed by the taste, not that this it was a bad taste but I had antisipated greatness and this was not greatness. It was very good, it had a great taste that masked the high ABV. But it was NOT the best beer "I" had ever had not even close. This makes me realize that I need to look more into what I read and who it is written by.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Poured a cloudy copper with large white head, aroma was largely of yeast and fruits, nice full mouthfeel , with fruit and spice flavors with a nice lingering finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 16/20
SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 14, 2002
Cloudy orange, quick falling head. Big yeasty aroma followed by alcohol and sweet orange notes. This is a sweet tasting beer with omnipresent yeast flavours and some spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
presario (4626) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 12, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2009 Having had this on many occasions I can say it is MUCH better fresh and on tap. Does not seem to age in the small bottles well. An adventuresome beer. Each mouthful tastes better. Makes you glad for the variety in beer. Golden colour. Strong aroma. Lasting taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - DEC 12, 2002
Pineapple, orange zest, violet perfume, urine, toasted nuts, rising bread - and that’s just the aroma. No, this is one of those beers that seems to be trying to do too much and something gets lost in the translation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - DEC 12, 2002
You know, there is a lot MORE going on in here than in New Glaurus’ Spotted Cow, but it has the same soggy cornflakes malt flavor that I noticed drinking that one recently. Of course, DT also has rollercoaster waves of fruits and spices, but none of it is all that settling. I get off the ride and weave around, trying to get my bearings. Anyone for a good earthy brown ale?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Had to give this high marks in appearance due to the huge carbonated head that it has. Color is orange copper and cloudy, very sweet and yeasty, a decent twist on a Belgian Tripel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2002
i tried this a while ago. it is very candy like. great to drink and a pleasure too. i would say this is, next to chimay bleu, is my favorite everyday belgian. simply wonderful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nate (3727) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2004 Very sweet, malty aroma. Bits of apple & orange, cidery, yeast. Tangy hops - big aroma. Foamed out of the bottle when opened. Huge frothy off-white lacing head over semi-cloudy light amber beer. Heavy carb but effervescent like sparkling wine. Medium-heavy body. Lots of characteristics of a wheat beer. Sweet, yeasty, can taste alcohol. Slight bitterness to the finish with sweet, nutty-like after.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
skortila (4505) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - NOV 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2008 (on tap) Clear golden triple. nice head. Indeed superb mouthfeel. Spicy & overwhelming.
Rerate. Well.. This one is certainly not a 4.1 as in my previous rating. (Chabged the brew or my taste for beer has changed..) Actually this one is quite disappointing. Aroma is alcoholic, has some caramel malt and yeast. Clear, golden-yellow coloured with a white, lasting head. Taste is sweet, caramel malty with some hoppiness and too alcoholic.