Deschutes 19th Anniversary Golden Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Deschutes Brewery
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Bend, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 120   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
"We felt we had to do something special to mark our 19th Anniversary," said brewmaster Larry Sidor, "so we took a vow of silence and brewed our first Belgian style ale ever to be bottled."

The straw colored Strong Golden Ale is made from an impressively international list of ingredients that acknowledge the diverse roots of craft beer. "We used Czech Saaz, Slovenian Golding, Pacific Northwest Liberty, and Brewers Gold hops," said Sidor, "along with French pilsner malt, and Belgian white candy diamonds and bitter orange peel from the island of Curacao for a little extra kick and sizzle."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
slowrunner77 (6088) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 19, 2014
"malty and sweet up front, hops in the throat after. not bad for their first bottled belgian. not my favorite style, but this is one of the better ones I’ve tried. not unfocused...just complex."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jesterdeal (1984) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - JUN 7, 2012
Aroma of clove, slight ginger and delicious funk. Pours ...golden with film. Taste is smooth and spicy with great cloves. Delicious and great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hbmason (1086) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JAN 2, 2011
22 oz. Bomber. Nice head and aroma. I had this on tap at the brewery when it came out. It was really good. I found a bomber of it and thought i would try it again. Very nice strong ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopdog (9189) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 8, 2010
22oz bottle. Poured a medium and slightly hazy golden color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of some fruits, wet hay, and spices. Tastes of spices, fruity, and some lighter citrus. This one actually grew on me more and more as I drank it. Citrus (oranges) came out more too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAR 12, 2010
Bottle. Poured a slightly hazy light orange color. The white head reduced relatively quickly to a thin film. Fruity nose with apricot, vanilla, and subdued pineapple. There was also a whiff of hay. Medium bodied and sweet with moderate carbonation. The alcohol was noticeable. I tasted toasted coconut, apricot, and vanilla. A little odd, but not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jazz88 (2564) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 5, 2010
Tap @ Toronado (rating from 2007 notes). A golden color with a white head. A spiced, light fruit and sweet candy malt aroma. Peppery and crisp with a nice bite at the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
philbertk (1873) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 1, 2010
Deschutes Brewery--Anniversary Golden Ale--Bond Street Series--Belgian Stlyle--Nineteenth Year--2007 Release--22 oz. Bottle--8.70% ABV--60 IBU’s. 4.75 / 5.0. Golden Ale--Imperial. Thin lacy head. Clear bright gold color. Aromatic rich coriander hop spice front. Crisp dry sweet mild creamy mellow banana citrus wheat caramel subtle malt body. Delicious sweet Belgian spice HOPPY end. Sampled 6/18/2007

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Keir (165) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 10, 2009
22 oz Bottle. Pours a deep golden with a white head. Leaves nice lacing. Aroma of sweetness, citrus, slight spice. Taste fruity, citrusy, alcohol is there, slightly off. Palate is crisp with an oily finish. Probably would have been better a year ago.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 17, 2009
Deep gold with a white head that holds on. Perfume aroma. Very Belgian. This has a big thick mouth flavor in a belgian-looking beer. Closer to a hopped Tripel. Huge finishing sweetness. Lemons and oranges at finish. Outstanding. 2007 version, is just now coming into its prime. A must-age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 8, 2009
I’m always game for a bomber from Deschutes so I bought a couple bottles of this. This ale appears clear and golden in color; can you imagine that? There is almost no head save for a smattering of white bubbles in the middle of the Chimay chalice. The carbonation is rising steadily from the etching in the bottom. The smells I pick up are faint esters of cloves and thyme (weird). It tastes yeasty and fruity, maybe some apple. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly to me. This is a good one and really seemed to open up as it warmed, I need to learn to let the bottle sit for awhile outside the fridge before I crack it. I think I will save the other bottle for a while. The alcohol is only barely noticeable. I really like the fact that Deschutes seasonal/big beers are not expensive (with the exception of Abyss which was going for $9 here in Colorado). This beer only cost $3.50 which was a very good price. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 06-27-2007 16:28:39