overall

RATINGS: 1694   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
With a dark beer as our first and flagship brand, Black Butte defined Deschutes as a radical player. A slight hop bitterness up front enhances the distinctive chocolate and roasted finish. Itís prized for its creamy mouthfeel and intense complex flavors.

amceachern99 (70) - Albany, Oregon, USA - SEP 21, 2001
Very good and filling. I could drink this all day, and have.

MrRain00 (37) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2001
My favorite beer...ever. This beer kept me warm and cozy many nights in Alaska. This beer is Americaís finest contribution to the Beer World.

Utahskier (1) - Utah, USA - JAN 10, 2002 does not count
The best beer ever!! Brought 15 cases w/me from Portland to SLC when I had to move.

blackened99 (3) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - FEB 5, 2002 does not count
This is my favorite beer. Iím from Oregon and I live in Arizona now and I canít find it anywhere here :( Everytime I go back to visit I drink a lot of this beer. This and no other!

MrRain (472) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 21, 2008

mmcallister (1) - Oregon, USA - MAR 6, 2008 does not count
this is the best beer i have ever had! iím not much of a beer snob (yet), so maybe my opinion wonít matter much. but there is nothing i dislike about this beer! makes me glad i moved to Oregon...

MCBeerenthu10 (2) - Mobile, Alabama, USA - MAR 30, 2008 does not count
One of the reasons I went to Oregon I heard somuch about this beer I had to try it. To bad I cant this I Alabama.

jedimasternick (96) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 1, 2009
An absolute top notch performer and contender for world’s best porter. I have had many porters and this one sets the standard for all others to be judged. It has a hint of chocolate aftertaste and a full bodied dark black color. Yummmmm!

phildorsey (154) - Fort Carson, Colorado, USA - SEP 25, 2009
The perfect Porter...12oz. Bottle. pours black as coffee. minimal head... lightly sour with coffee, roasty, barnyard and earthy flavors. If I didnít know any better...iíd say this was a starbucks with alcohol; itís that good. My favorite from Deschutes...

SPDickerman (913) - Texas, USA - MAR 24, 2012
Pours dark brown with hints of reddish mahogany and a fluffy tan head. Smells of chocolate and roast, with a faint hint of hops and a touch of coffee. Taste is chocolaty with coffee notes, not very bitter while still having a roast bite. Medium-bodied with a smooth, creamy texture and decent mouth-carbonation, Deschutes Black Butte Porter finishes with a touch of roast dryness.