Deschutes Hop Henge IPA

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 182   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Who knows what inspired the ancients to build Stonehenge--or what inspired us to build Hop Henge in its likeness. But build it we did, out of wrapped bales of whole-flower hops out on the brewery lawn. Like the rest of the Bond Street Series, Hop Henge highlights the creativity and curiousity of our brewers. Bolder than its English ancestors, with huge hops and a bitter finish, this IPA is no wallflower.

NOTE: This is the original version. In 2007 it was bumped up to an IIPA. See that entry here.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
leethorsell (3) - Bend, Oregon, USA - FEB 20, 2006 does not count
Got to give this one an A++. I really love IPAís and this one to drink. I must say that I am a local here in Bend, Oregon where Deschutes is located and this is an outstanding beer. I see that some reviews were not like my high praise. All I can say is "try this one for sure". The hops really jump out and tingle your tounge. The best!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
audinerd17 (20) - Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2013
10.4% IBV and a perfect experiment IPA? Sign me up. I'll be there. A great limited release I would recommend to any person interested in beer or not. So impressed by this brew. I'm going to try more of this brewery simply because this was great. I bought 6 bottles in 48 hours. Go get it now. Hello spring perfection. I will order a case to gift my new roommate to christen our new house. It's that good. - pixels sent via Beer Buddy on iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
heminator (72) - Virginia, USA - JAN 27, 2012
AMAZING aroma, crazy hops. First it hits you as floral and citrus-y, but then it reveals itself to have tremendous complexity and an IPA bitter finish. Keeps you guessing with every sip. Kind of love this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
scottmc (167) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - JUL 6, 2007
A great hoppy IPA, unexpectedly hoppy. A hop combination that gives off an explosive aroma. A heavy full body that comes with imperial IPAís and a creamy brownish, orange color that had a heavy tinted off-white head. A great IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2006
This beer offers a hearty aroma of hops and caramel. It is copper colored with a thick light cashew colored head. This beer offers a robust taste of hops wit hints of pine and caramel. It finishes with the strong presence of hops and hints of caramel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrEcted1 (144) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JUN 1, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2006 A wonderful IPA by Deschutes brewery This beer pours a deep golden hue with a nice billowy head. Spider web-like lacing coats the inside of the glass nicely. This is truly an IPA done right. Piney and citrus scents are very forward in the nose. Likewise, the flavor presents a wonderful piney taste along with a cornucopia of fresh citrus fruits, especially grapefruit and a bit of lemon. The malt does a good job balancing everything out. The texture is spot on, great mouth feel. This is one of those brews that leaves your lips sticky and your tongue coated with resinous hop flavor. This is a big beer, but nothing the average IPA fan couldnít handle. I have always been a fan of Deschutes beers, but this is so far the best one Iíve had to date. I was able to find these very easily, but I canít find them anywhere now, so if you see them then I highly recommend picking it up! Itís a great beer at a great value (around $5.00 for a bomber here in Colorado).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Evolutionary (303) - Ohio, USA - MAR 26, 2012
On tap at the Portland brewery. Clean taste and good head. Great hop taste and nice mouthfeel. Close in effort to hopslam and a great ipa. 95 ibu's!!! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chicowv (465) - Canaan Valley, West Virginia, USA - APR 27, 2013
22 oz bottle: pours bright orange with a light head and good lacing. Aroma is intense fruit with mango, pineapple and tangerine. Sweet with good bitter balance. Complex flavors of citrus, good malt balance, smooth. Hard to believe this is a 10 percent brew. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ratman197 (10224) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2006
Bomber poured a hazy copper with a large, lasting amber head. Aromas of Hops, lots oí hops citrusy and piney all my favorite hops! Palate was medium bodied, dry and resiny. Flavors of Hops piney, citrusy and even earthy!also a hint of carmel with a dry, lingering pleasently bitter finish! An outstanding IPA!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jackyjoe10 (4) - USA - OCT 20, 2007 does not count
Thank God this is available again. Cloudy amber appearance with strong citrus aroma. Heavy on the palate with powerful citrus flavor and a fresh mouth feel that makes you want to drink a lot of it! In the past I have only had this in the bottle but It was one of the featured brews at our local Oktoberfest so I experienced it on tap this year. One of the very best IPAís I have ever had.