overall

RATINGS: 1413   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
This is base camp, where any craft brew exploration begins. A distinct hop nose and hop-forward flavor make Mirror Pond the quintessential Pale Ale. It is aromatically complex, multi-layered, and unmistakably ďright.Ē

ChrisBeest (43) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 18, 2002
My favorite beer Iíve ever had. Iíve tried many, and I still find myself sticking to this one. Doesnít get any better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 12, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2009 This rating is for the 2009 FRESH HOP version of Mirror Pond, which has been combined here with the regular Mirror Pond now. The regular Mirror Pond is a light, drinkable pale ale with good balance, but it does little to blow me away these days. This fresh hop version is brewed with fresh cascade hops and has a completely different flavor profile (we did a side-by-side at the pub). The aroma is perfect fresh hop decadence. The green hops coming out of this glass made me want to run around and rip my clothes off (thankfully for the pubís other patrons, I did not). The taste follows with intense earthy fresh hops that are a little more toned down and balanced than the aroma, which works out well. It doesnít get too ďfunkyĒ from the fresh hops, and there is a little bit of citrus thrown in. You still get all of that hop flavor, yet the beer is still just as drinkable and light as Mirror Pond. Finishes with a stronger bitterness than the regular Mirror Pond, but itís not even close to being overly bitter. If the fresh hop flavor would have been much stronger in this, it might have just put it out of balance. Overall, Iím just not sure that a fresh hop beer can get any better based on what I look for. Thank you, Deschutes, for making my weekend and giving me a beer that goes straight towards the top of my all-time favorites.
Earlier Rating for regular Mirror Pond: 2/28/2007 Total Score: 3.3
Itís beers like this that I drink all the time, but just never get around to rating....Iíll get them eventually, I guess. This is one of my favorite stand by beers in the PNW. Light and drinkable with decent fruity hops. Grain malt finish. Pretty thin, which makes it a good beer to drink all night.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
maximusrex (5) - USA - OCT 14, 2009 does not count
Very smooth hoppy beer with a clear aroma. This one has the ability to really catch you off guard. This is my mainstay beer so I am a little biased. The only draw back is that is is very temperamental in bottle form and I have had to take back a couple of cases.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
JackinPdx (1) - Gresham, USA - SEP 29, 2013 does not count
I get the "citrus" references, but what I taste more elementally is a full fruity overtone combined with a robust coffee-like undertone, with an understated and very pleasant light acidic after-taste. There are more in-your-face, "slap you upside the head", wrench your salivary glands from their roots, selections in this category. For me however, the Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale has struck the near-perfect balance of a smooth, fruit scented nose, with a slightly dark coffee tinted underbelly nuance. Delightful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
jbuskirk (467) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - JAN 1, 2014
If Sierra Nevadaís Pale Ale showed how big and flavorful an American Pale Ale can be, then Deschutesí Mirror Pond demonstrated a Pale Aleís potential to be smooth and balanced. Though hoppy, Mirror Pond enjoys the benefit of having a crisp, hearty malt layer. Mirror Pond hits that sweet spot that just makes you want more.

mellowmoose (5) - Oregon, USA - MAY 16, 2002 does not count
I drink Mirror Pond every night. Itís the cleanest, freshest tasting beer Iíve ever had. It never gives me a hangover. Perfect flavor, so you can drink them all night long. Clean drinking, good times....

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
gardenclimber (1) - USA - NOV 4, 2003 does not count
Truly what I hope for in a northwest style pale ale. Strong cascade hope nose(by pale atandards) Balanced mouthfeel and flavor, according to NW version of the style. I think I'll have another.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 26, 2006
Ahh, a beautiful specimen indeed. Flavors are integrated harmoniously to create this perfectly ballanced Pale Ale. Itís smooth with a mild finish. This should be the first stop on the migratory trail from the barren flavor fields of mass produced lagers to the fertile forests of American craft brews. Thoroughly enjoyed and highly recomended.

Braden99 (29) - Camarillo, California, USA - OCT 24, 2011
One of the Pale Ales that truly define the category. Full bodied with a great combination of hops and citrus flavors. Not overbearing, but with a nice solid body to it and refreshing taste.

kereltis (33) - Oregon, USA - JUL 15, 2012
Great light pale ale! Fantastic with a meal, has great flavor and it goes down real easy, nice and light for those hot summer evening. A must try!