Deschutes Tamarack Gold

Deschutes Tamarack Gold
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
This experimental golden ale was brewed using Munich and Victory specialty malts. The experiment behind this beer was in the hops. One kind of experimental hop was used to accentuate the flavor and aroma of the hop. Comments are much appreciated. IBU’s 27 Alcohol by Vol. 4.5%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
boFNjackson (4127) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 5, 2009
Tap @ their Portland Public House... Poured golden/orange with a white head. Floral aroma. Mellow, dry palate with sweet hop flavors and a little bit of a bitterness. Was easy to drink and just enough complexity. Fruit notes like apple and orange peel to balance the hops and malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - NOV 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2009 Update: I went back and had this again, and wasn’t quite as thrilled as the first time, didn’t quite have the hop punch as the first time I had it, but was still a pretty good golden. Beside the maple I thought this pulled a lot more floral hop character. On tap at the Portland pub. I picked this as one of my sampler tray just to try something new, and I ended up with a full pint since it was the best on the tray. Probably one of the best golden ales I’ve had. Floral with a nice citrus/lemon hop character. Very well balanced with floralness from the hops throughout over a light soft bready malt base. I can’t remember the last time I was excited about a golden ale, this really did it for me.