Deschutes Topaz IPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.85/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
This is not a beer for the faint of heart. Another experimental brew using the Topaz variety hops. These high alpha hops create a domineering bitterness. We used a plethora of specialty malts to keep the beer in check. IBU: 70, ABV 5.7%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SuzyGreenberg (1603) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 13, 2010
Draft @ Bend brewpub; amber with slight haze and thin lasting white head; earthy nose with resiny hops and white sugar; earthy, grainy and bitter more on the nose than the flavor; fairly unbalanced overall to me with a barky bitterness in the finish

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayduke (3366) - Eureka, California, USA - MAR 23, 2009
I had this on draft at the brewpub in Bend. If this is an experiment I would have to deem it a success. The color was a rich clear amber, with a nice white head and good lacing rings. Very powerful nose of hops with floral and citrus aromas. Very smooth mouthfeel. Flavor is very bitter but exceptionally tasty for a highly hopped IPA. In spite of the power of the hops in this one it came out well balanced. I am sorry I only got to drink one glass of this one and as far as I am concerned they can put this in a bottle and go for it! Great brew.