overall
Brewed by Brauerei Diebels (InBev)
Style: Altbier
Issum, Germany

RATINGS: 497   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
DIEBELS Alt is brewed according to the German Purity Law of 1516. Under this "Reinheitsgebot", only four ingredients are allowed: Barley malts, hops, yeast, and water. The dark-roasted special malt lends DIEBELS its unmistakable amber glow.

Dark and Delicious. For a dark, flavorful beer, DIEBELS is surprisingly light and drinkable - a beer you can enjoy all night long. It isn't bitter like many ales, and it doesn't have the strong aftertaste of certain imports.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - OCT 21, 2003
Ok, so I don't drink coffe, but I'm trying to learn it and I think I'll master coffeedrinking before I do Altbier drinking if this is anything to go by. Pours a dark copper reddish brown with a big tan head that recedes fairly fast leaving traces of lacing. Smells fairly nice, reminding me of the malt drink and orange soda that I have every christmas. I wish it tasted that way. The overriding taste is that of coffee, or is that just burned malted barley? The aftertaste is soda like in a weird way and the body also. I don't know, I'll give up on trying to describe it although the taste, body and aroma seem to belong to three different beers. I also think I'll give up on the bottle, even if the initial shock is wearing off. I'm simply not enjoying this one...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 28, 2003
Bottle. Pours a highly carbonated and crystal clear dark copper with a dense, light tan head that takes up a third of the glass. Leaves a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is thin and malty, with roasted coffee being the most obvious. There’s also a bit of nuttiness, along with faint chocolate, metallics, and herbal hops. The flavor is a bit thin as well, with coffee and roasted grains leading the way, and hints of fruit, toffee, chocolate and nuts right behind. A lingering, herbal hop bitterness tries to provide a bit of balance. Ends with a metallic twinge and dark grain bitterness. It’s body is on the lighter side of medium, with a dry and lighty acidic finish. Overall, a fairly one-dimensional alt…there’s much better to be found.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - SEP 5, 2003
Not what I expected. Not much to pull from this beer. It lacked any real flavor. Just not good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
haukur (1532) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - SEP 5, 2003
oh I dont know.. if all Alt biers are like this then I´m not a big fan of this style, it was drinkable, but I could never drink many of these, cant say I´ll buy this again...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Eirikur (378) - hafnarfjordur, ICELAND - AUG 22, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2003 My First Alt beer. It is what I thought it to be like and it is what I thought it to be. Nice head, holding fairly well, beautiful chestnut brown. Lovely malt but hops might be milder. This beer is very fizzy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rauchbier (3709) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - JUL 24, 2003
UPDATED: APR 10, 2004 Bottled. Chestnut brown, thin shortlived white head and good condition. Some caramel and roast barley in the nose along with a degree of hop character. Caramel malt and low hop in the mouth with some background smokiness. Finish is bitter, dry and chalky but quite short.

1.3
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
SilkTork (5467) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - JUL 24, 2003
Bottle. Simply not that pleasant. Stewed, metallic hops ruin everything. Fizzy carbonation like a cola and a thin body. Try as I might I can't pull anything worthwhile out of this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
minguimore (17) - SPAIN - JUL 15, 2003
I tried this one in a german pub, on tap, and it is great. It has an excellent well balanced flavor sweet in the begining and a little bit bitter as you swallow. Is a great beer to drink when you wanna take a dozen or more and you don´t want to drink soda-like beers as bud or heineken. ALWAYS ON TAP. If you try it on bottle don´t rate it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUL 14, 2003
My first go round with the albier style, however, this does not seem to be a stand out beer anyway you rate it. Aroma is "macro" brewish. Some hops. Flavor is tilted toward hops, it just seems not to be a varietal of hops that taste very good. Forgetable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
joet (2463) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 11, 2003
off white foam, surprising coffee flavors, light thin body, hardy dull herbal hop throb.