overall
Brewed by Brauerei Diebels (InBev)
Style: Altbier
Issum, Germany

RATINGS: 482   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
DIEBELS Alt is brewed according to the German Purity Law of 1516. Under this "Reinheitsgebot", only four ingredients are allowed: Barley malts, hops, yeast, and water. The dark-roasted special malt lends DIEBELS its unmistakable amber glow.

Dark and Delicious. For a dark, flavorful beer, DIEBELS is surprisingly light and drinkable - a beer you can enjoy all night long. It isn't bitter like many ales, and it doesn't have the strong aftertaste of certain imports.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - JUN 9, 2003
Light brown with a small head. Bitter taste and finish. Nothing interesting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 1, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2005 I bought a 5L mini-keg (the first one I’ve ever purchased) with a friend of mine...we manage bars so we thought that tapping would be no big deal...a very big deal b/c the instructions were ONLY in German. Smooth body but a horrible bitterness about 30 seconds after the swallow. On draft it is slightly less apparent, but still there. Just like the draft, a metallic overtone was very present in the flavor. The 5L mini-keg was also very unimpressive...after the first four pints we poured, it just got more and more flat. A decent beer, but there are much finer ALTs out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
CapFlu (4820) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 3, 2003
(500ml Can) Pours a medium, almond head and a copper body. A musky malt nose. Flavours of roasted malt and hops. Carbonated feel. Lacked all complexity. Average but not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2003
I have something of a obsession with this style becuase In my days of early awakening BRB (Before RateBeer), I loved two dark alts to excess. Most alts I've sampled since have been copper colored, like this one, and like the very fine homebrewed "Irish" alt (yeah, I recognize the contradiction) that has been my greatest achievement to date. But with most of these lighter alts, I find myself pining nostalgicially for those early days at the ABC in Ann Arbor - they can't measure up to memory. This one in particular I don't care for - it has a weird massbrew in a can metallic tinge to it, although I drank it from a bottle, and that weirds off the decenter malt flavors. The other accent is nicer, a touch of toastiness, but it doesn't redeem the brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Aubrey (3490) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAR 25, 2003
Draft: Vibrantly copper in color; weakish head. Soft malts caressed my tongue, but left me yearning for more. Some burntness, a bit of roast, and a hint of bitterness. Some unwelcomed mustiness interluded. Bitterness seemed to build, but it was rather one-dimensional. Enjoyable, but seemed to lack a real personality punch.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jaymobrown (1746) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Light copper color. Strange light malt nose. Nothing really amazing or off-putting. Really fizzy, which I'm no fan of.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - FEB 21, 2003
Nice copper. Smallish off-white head. Aroma and flavor both full of malt and hops--strong on both.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
skortila (4851) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - FEB 21, 2003
I bought 2 4packs of these, with free t-shirt! They only shrink when you wash them, a nice present for my girlfriend! A beer girlie! :S The beer itself is ambercoloured, nice head. Malty aroma, some sweetness. Biterness in taste, dry and malts. Bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
marking (20) - DENMARK - FEB 16, 2003
The bottle/can variety is not at all comparable to the altbier you get in Germany, served in those special cylindic thin glasses…oh it is a blessing ! That slightly burnt finish and drieness makes it a perfect food-beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
LarsHolmer (112) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - FEB 16, 2003
This German ale is quite a challenge to the English ales. Not at all the same bitterness and aromas as from English hops, but dry and a bit roasted barley in the end.