overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1062   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Black ale with aromas and flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon and roasted malt. The vanilla and cocoa marry nicely, without out-competing each other, to produce a surprisingly well balanced beer. This beer is mildly hoppy, but the cocoa introduces a touch of bitterness. Its colour may be intimidating, but it is a very smooth beer within reach of most beer drinkers. This highly appreciated dessert beer is brewed with organic fair-trade cocoa and first rate vanilla beans.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
guil0000 (228) - New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 13, 2009
I was excited to see that this beer was one of the top rated beers here on Ratebeer. Poors a beautiful black color qith a small white head. Aroma is strongly of cacao and a bit of vanilla. What I like most about this stout is the sweetness of the stout and the strong finish. Overall very good

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cheap (3803) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 13, 2009
An extravagant thanks goes out to beerman6686 Dan for this special brew! Had the pleasure of sampling this at the 7/9/2009 Pittsburgh RB tasting extravaganza (PGHRBEXT) at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. It will be a long time, if ever I see a spread of bottles like I did there. I am not good enough for the beers that were that we served! For example, how about this beer: aphrodisiaque, again I am not good enough to have had the chance to rate this beer. Keep in mind I am a rookie and do not rate by style, I rate by how it tastes to me. Vanilla bean aroma with a hint of imp stout roastiness. Big dark pour with a fading head. Vanilla bean flavors override the session. Somewhat slight creamy carbonation sensations on the tongue. Dark & glass staining. Strongish impy stout personality, I canít believe this is just a stout here and not an imp stout. Letís chew on raw dried vanilla beans with a chaser of alky. Interesting beer tasting experience. Cannot taste much chocolate, but I do sense it is in there. Lingering strong bitter alky and vanilla imp stout finish. Dan, thank you for the chance to taste a beer I normally would not come across!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Had this one at the RB Pittsburgh tasting. First one of many that day that blew me away. Beautiful black liquid with a large head. Sweet aroma of what I thought was coffee but upon inspection was more of a chocolate/vanilla mix. If this was a little thicker, it would be near perfect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4547) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a black color with a large creamy dark brown head. The aroma was sweet chocolate and vanilla. The flavor was bitter and toasty with strong vanilla and chocolate and a faint floral hop undertone. The finish was long with moderate chocolate and strong vanilla. The body was thick and smooth. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerman6686 (3870) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 10, 2009
This poured a nice black color with a thick tan head. Aroma was of chocolate, vanilla and some roastedness. Flavor was much more of a typical stout than expected, not the overload of vanilla like I was expecting from other reviews, which is a good thing. Overall a very good and complex stout for its stature.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - AUG 7, 2009
12 ounce bottle from cfrancis. Really? This is one of the top 50 beers in the world? The pour is pitch black with plenty of with a fizzy brown head. Hmm, I smell graham crackers, some cocoa powder, and of course vanilla. I donít find the flavor to be anything special. Its roasty like any other stout, with some vanilla. Light body and a dry finish, which I didnít expect. I figured the vanilla sweetness would linger. Still, I donít find this beer to be special.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
daknole (8540) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 5, 2009
Finally! I have been dying to try this since I logged onto RB for the first time! Glouglouburb sent me this bottle and I am soooo stoked to be getting more. Pours a nice black color with a big brown head. Aroma is chocolate, vanilla and hints of coffee. Flavor...well it tastes like a dark chocolate smore with a nice bitter dark chocolate/coffee finish. Simply a beautiful beer. I can only imagine how great it must be on tap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 30, 2009
This beer has an amazing aroma: pure dark chocolate with vanilla highlights. Smells like it might be sweet but the flavor is pleasantly dry, like a liquid gourmet 85% cocoa bar. Finish is an almost granular cocoa sensation. This is superb.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 27, 2009
Pour black with a big brown head. Big aroma of vanilla and coffee. Vanilla lead to a bitter coffee finish. The aroma of this beer is awesome. Been waiting for this beer for along time.

ryan (3187) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - JUL 26, 2009
Shared by ygtbsm94. Really nice sessionable stout. Rich and creamy mouthfeel, rich milk chocolate and robust coffee.