Dieu du Ciel Neuvaine
overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 34   MEAN: 2.46/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.51   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
9th anniversary beer, brewed with absinth and fennel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 8, 2008
Cloudy golden pour with a medium white head. The aroma has a strong herbal menthol presence with alcohol. The flavor also has herbs and menthol but what is the most striking is the very intense bitterness, it’s so bitter that it becomes undrinkable very fast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LadySusan (720) - Ste-Therese, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 29, 2007
On tap at D.D.C. The color is amber with a beige head. The aroma is of licorice and herbs. The taste is also in the same line but with malt added that gives it a nice sour taste. Bravo to D.D.C. they are not afraid to brew something ot of the ordinary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Eructoblaster (3103) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 31, 2007
Dark gold body topped with a thin white foamy head. Malty/hoppy aroma with herbal, flowery and absinth hints. Well balanced taste that ends with a decent bittersweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TaktikMTL (6021) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 31, 2007
En fût. Verre de 12 oz dégustée à la brasserie. Arôme: Odeur d’anis avec une pointe d’alcool. Apparence: La couleur est dorée. Présence d’un large col mousseux et d’une large dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de fenouil et d’anis avec une pointe d’alcool. Longue durée de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture huileuse. Faible effervescence en bouche. Léger arrière goût de fenouil très amer. (Rating #1325)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6137) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 25, 2007
A hazy copper brew mounted by a gentle off-white head. Pungent herbal nose with fennel, chives, anise and alcohol nose. Very sharp in mouth, the bitterness from the absinth is rather brutal (though the owners confessed they hoped for more!). I believe everything has to be said. Rather tricky to put such a palate-killer on their anniversary day and more power to them as they enjoyed it, but I’m afraid I’m in the gang that is not worthy on this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Draught half-pint at the brewery on 9/29/07
Hmmm, well I must say, I didn’t think it was half as offensive as most people. In fact, I rather enjoyed it, while keeping in mind that this was supposed to be an absynthe beer hybrid sort of thing. Knowing quite well the way absynthe tastes, I’d expect it to be damned near impossible to reconcile the two beverages in to something drinkable. But frankly, despite a high amount of astringency, I drank it down pretty easily and would do it again. It’s obviously not a session beer, but a sipper, and if you like strong herbs, though they are definitely dominant here, you probably won’t mind it. Even though the astringency cuts through the palate like a knife, the soft and sweet malt is noticeable, giving a round caramel-honey note on the finish, after the absynthe-like bitterness has cleared. Carbonation is moderate to low, while the beer is a rusty-peach-amber, clear, with a small, quickly dissipating off-white head. Very interesting and original. Alcohol is not obtrusive.
Brewing an absynthe beer runs a fine line between making something not nearly as powerful and assertive as absynthe is and making something too powerful. I think they got this one about right.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WeeHeavySD (3359) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - OCT 18, 2007
12 of 13 tasters. ok ok crazy yes, yes I know ok calm down. Pours yellow amber with a brown barely there head. The nose is very different, with herbal licorice, and anise, very strange. my tasting notes are essentially WTF, followed by gnarley, strong, biting, its like eating licorice root, I don’t know what to say I was confused. I respect the experimentation, but damn this is really kinda insane. I couldn’t finish this, but my rating is for the out there ness of this beer and less for the actually quality.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
mds (2240) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 28, 2007
Draught. Cloudy orangeish body with a medium white creamy head. The aroma has anise and some sugar. Incredibly intense flavour that is not for the faint of heart... This stuff didn’t taste much different than something like Buckley’s cough syrup. Really bitter and unrefined flavour is rampant on the tongue and throat. The taste lingers for quite some time after only a couple of sips. Glad to have tried it but this really wasn’t for me.
Dieu du Ciel, Montreal. 2007.09.15

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 24, 2007
Almost clear golden body topped by a medium off-white head. From the nose you know you’re in for something intense and unusual. The aroma and taste is kind of hard to describe. Smelled like waking into one of those small speciality grocery store with all kinds of spices and countryside aromas. Dry grapefruit skin, anise and cedar splinters are just some of the flavours I identified. Sometimes it reminded me of chewing on wild reed when I was a kid. But really I mostly couldn’t put words on the flavours I was getting. There was this strong organic gastric acidic/bitter flavour that reminded me a bit of the bile/puke taste I get in my mouth when I almost throw-up. Said like that it sounds terrible but it really wasn’t. The very intense bitterness (not hop bitterness) is dry and sandy and sticks around for a long time. I had it very fresh at the DDC 9th anniversary party and I really didn’t like it. I had it again a week later and it was a lot more tolerable. Could it be the one-week aging? I don’t one another one ever again but I’m glad I had it cause it was quite an experience. As unconventional but also as delightful as a banana pizza.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GonZoBeeR (2938) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2007
Aroma:strong anise aroma,full spicy... Appearance:Hazy gold,good head... Flavor:full of anise,mega full spicy "to mutch".....