Dieu du Ciel Neuvaine
overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 34   MEAN: 2.46/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.51   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
9th anniversary beer, brewed with absinth and fennel.

1.4
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
Travlr (13040) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 8, 2013
Draft sample courtesy of our server at Beer Revolution, thanks. We were happy not to have received a full pint of this. The aroma was interesting, sort of minty. The taste was so bitter it reminded me of Sink the Bismarck, in an undrinkable sort of way. Could this be why absinthe is generally served by being poured over a sugar cube? I actually haven’t had absinthe any other way, and after tasting this beer, I’m not curious enough to try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Lubiere (10294) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 17, 2010
A dark amber ale with a thin off white head. Light aroma of smooth spices, light wood esters, light cardamom...i can get a bit of the wormwood. In mouth, an intense taste of absinth and fennel, phenolics, very organic and oily, almost agressing. Interesting, but I wouldn’t drink a whole pint of this. Powerful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerandBlues2 (9997) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAY 7, 2013
Tap at Beer Revolution Craft Beer and Pizza Bar. Pours clear orange with a medium, frothy white head, medium retention with light lacing. Aroma is woodruff/absinthe, cookie malt and minty hops. Flavor is very bitter, pithy, woodruff/absinthe with a very dry finish. Light body and medium carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
MartinT (8030) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 20, 2007
My Bottom Line:
Aniseed pervades the tongue-numbing earthy and herbal concentrate, leading to an impossibly immense bitterness which makes this strong ale a chore to drink.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A veil of foam covers the clear blond amber.
-This product is competently brewed (we don’t expect less of DDC, of course), but it is simply undrinkable for me.
-A little alcohol heat is felt (and some hallucinogenics too? Woohoo!).
-Radek’s rating pretty much says it all. "Numbing" and "overwhelming" are the key words imho.
-This is so bitter, a spit-take was barely averted.
-Age this one 10 years and I’ll try it again. ;)

On tap at the brewpub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
j12601 (6743) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - APR 26, 2013
On tap at Blind Tiger with Andy, Max, Nicole, Jen, and Dad. Pours a lightly Hazed gold with a thin white head. Sweet and spicy. Medium bodied, big bitterness. Weird herbal medicinal note. Long bitterness, lots of herbs and a touch of metallic tang. Lingering huge bitterness. Interesting, but glad I only got a half.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - SEP 19, 2007
On tap at Brewpub
Appearance : Thin haze on amber ale with fine soft top.
Nose :Strong herbal anise character, fresh and clean. Digging deeper you might find some honey accents.
Flavour/Palate :Huge surprise here . – Numbing cough medicine like front. Raw unpleasant bitterness is overwhelming. Absinth character overexposed. Lacking balancing act. Toned down and equalized this formula could be fine. Hard to finish.
Even best brewmaster sometimes wander into wrong path.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6136) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 25, 2007
A hazy copper brew mounted by a gentle off-white head. Pungent herbal nose with fennel, chives, anise and alcohol nose. Very sharp in mouth, the bitterness from the absinth is rather brutal (though the owners confessed they hoped for more!). I believe everything has to be said. Rather tricky to put such a palate-killer on their anniversary day and more power to them as they enjoyed it, but I’m afraid I’m in the gang that is not worthy on this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 24, 2007
Almost clear golden body topped by a medium off-white head. From the nose you know you’re in for something intense and unusual. The aroma and taste is kind of hard to describe. Smelled like waking into one of those small speciality grocery store with all kinds of spices and countryside aromas. Dry grapefruit skin, anise and cedar splinters are just some of the flavours I identified. Sometimes it reminded me of chewing on wild reed when I was a kid. But really I mostly couldn’t put words on the flavours I was getting. There was this strong organic gastric acidic/bitter flavour that reminded me a bit of the bile/puke taste I get in my mouth when I almost throw-up. Said like that it sounds terrible but it really wasn’t. The very intense bitterness (not hop bitterness) is dry and sandy and sticks around for a long time. I had it very fresh at the DDC 9th anniversary party and I really didn’t like it. I had it again a week later and it was a lot more tolerable. Could it be the one-week aging? I don’t one another one ever again but I’m glad I had it cause it was quite an experience. As unconventional but also as delightful as a banana pizza.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
TaktikMTL (5948) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 31, 2007
En fût. Verre de 12 oz dégustée à la brasserie. Arôme: Odeur d’anis avec une pointe d’alcool. Apparence: La couleur est dorée. Présence d’un large col mousseux et d’une large dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de fenouil et d’anis avec une pointe d’alcool. Longue durée de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture huileuse. Faible effervescence en bouche. Léger arrière goût de fenouil très amer. (Rating #1325)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
jredmond (5563) - Manhattan, New York, USA - APR 25, 2013
Draft at Blind Tiger with Streets and the RB gang, courtesy of Jay. Pours a deep, hazy amber body with thin off white lacing. Aroma is faint, dry spices. Mouthfeel is medium, but really strange - turns super dry and bitter with notes of mint, dry spice, absinth and a weird floralness. Very bizarre and interesting, but overall something I really can’t enjoy.