overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1973   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (10514) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 16, 2008
341 mL bottle received via trade with Glouglouburp. Pours opaque with an average, creamy, dark brown head, lasting with fair lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (molasses, coffee, toasted grain), light hops (grass), average yeast (leather, meat) with notes of smoke and wood. Full bodied, creamy texture, average carbonation, and a chalky finish. Long duration, moderate sweetness, acidity, and bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Grovlam (4157) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 15, 2008
Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel Bottle. Courtesy of Morten from Danish Beerhouse [Amager – Mikkeller Brew session @ Amager Bryghus] Average fine creamy beige head that mostly diminished. Pitch black colour. Good display of lacework. Fantastic aroma of liquorish, coffee, dark chocolate, hint of alcohol, berries. Over the palate burned malt, hint of hops. Very full bodied with a soft carbonation and somewhat thick texture. Moderated bitter flavour with good counter sweetness. Heavy lingering bitter and surprisingly hoppy at the very end. I could feel the hops on the gums… he he. 8 / 4 / 9 / 4 / 17 = 4.2

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KimJohansen (10347) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - JAN 13, 2008
[Bottle @ Ølbaren] Black with thick head. Coffe aroma with liquerice. Strong coffee flavor with roasted malt, bitter and ashy notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enjoyit (3523) - Vadum, DENMARK - JAN 13, 2008
Black of color with a nice brown head. An aroma of chocolate, alcohol, liqurice and notes of hops. A flavor of earth, liqurice and chocolate.

TheJester (2052) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 13, 2008
341 mL bottle (Nov. ’07). Dark brown - almost opaque - with a small brown head that fades quickly to a ring. Strong aroma of espresso. It tastes like black coffee, and while the roast flavours are there, there is not a lot of the (usually) related bitterness. At least until the end. Dry, slightly alcoholic finish. The body is not as full as some Imperial Stouts, but it is still a full-bodied beer. Well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - JAN 10, 2008
Bottle shared at Fordest Tasting, thanks wetherel. WOW! Pours black with no head. Aroma of Coffee. Flavors of strong coffee grounds. I love a coffee stout as much as the next guy, but this was over the top.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - JAN 8, 2008
Bottle shared at fordest’s tasting. Pretty good dark flavors that I enjoyed. Bitter coffee. But good.

Miver (609) - Silver Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2008
Had on draft at the brewpub a while back and also a few other times. This rating is based on the "experience" that I had at the brew pub. I usually take notes or won’t rate a beer this long after I consumed, but this one I remember distinctly as my all time favorite. Poured black with a nice brown sticky head. Aroma was of coffee yet a tad sweet. The taste was of coffee with a nice amount of cream. I picked up a real nice banana nut bread finish. It was amazing that the alcohol was hidden so well. I had dreams about this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - JAN 5, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2008 Are you sometimes irked when someone gives a low rating to a beer you love? Well here comes another one. Luckily Peche Mortel has tons of ratings, so mine doesn’t matter. I got this bottle from Francois_Mtl, a great person and trader as part of a larger trade. I think was just released, so it’s a Dec 2007 bottle. Tried at forest’s tasting with ibrew2or3, fordest, padrefan98, toncatcher, and others. This beer smells just like coffee. Very roasty and burnt aroma that reminded me of cigarette butts. Even though not my favorite, I give it kuods for powerful aroma. Very dry and bitter flavor. Yuck. I love coffee, but do not like it without sugar and cream. This is like plain black coffee. Needs more fermentable sugars and a higer mash temperature. It’s just not my favorite style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goodgrief (1838) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - JAN 1, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2010 Feb. 2006 - This beer is seriously overhyped. Beer smelled and tasted like cheap coffee. It was pretty, I’ll give you that, but I buy beer ($16 bucks a pop?) for flavor, not prettiness. It’s "ok" but nothing special. Save your money. Nov. 2010 - Okay, I can admit when I was wrong. I liked this much more the second time around. Beautiful pour, three finger head, outstanding lacing, dark as night. Strong coffee smell...and I like me some coffee. This is a strong coffee tasting stout...with a boozy sweet finish. Pretty rich and smooth mouthfeel. I still think the coffee tastes a bit like cheap coffee, but still, this is very well done. Significantly bumped up from 3.3. It’s still too expensive, even now that they have smaller bottles. That alone will probably keep me from going back except for every few years.