overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1853   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
LePoopie (151) - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA - APR 23, 2006
Thanks to Chuck for the sample! Has a very nice mild roast coffee aroma to it. Pours a nice black body, with a nice foamy beige head. Flavor is also a nice coffee, quite good. Has a pretty good body and texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CMUBEERMAN (421) - - APR 22, 2006
Pours a dark chocolate with a decent sized mocha head. Aroma is delicious coffee and toffee. Flaovoris sweet coffee grounds and heavy cream...slight chocolatey malts and hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is heavy and delicate.... this is a great brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2191) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 18, 2006
Bottle. Milk chocolate aroma with some richness. Pretty much completely opaque. Would be clear if you could see it. Huge rootbeer float head. Perfect appearance. Dark tan head. Unbelievably outstanding brew. Can tell there’s some alcohol but it is somewhat hidden. Smooth, but with a ton a flavor. Worth $17? If any beer is, this one’s close. Could they charge less? Yes, but by limiting production they increase demand and the high price makes people interested. It doesn’t appear they have any trouble moving it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - APR 17, 2006
Thanks to 1FastSTi for this kicker to a recent trade. Bottled in 08/2005. Poured into a snifter, it looked a chocolatey brown. But in the glass its another story. All black, with a medium brown, tighly bubbled, fizzy head that actually managed to hang out for a bit. The aromas and flavors are all Starbucks. Maybe one of the venti mochas or macchiatos that I get on Fridays because they open at 0520 instead of 0600. I have to say, this is the second coffee imperial stout I’ve had in three days (Southern Tier Ja’vah), and I really don’t like the way carbonated coffe feels on my tongue. It almost feels like I’m eating a damn cactus. I can certainly see why this beer scores well. Its big and bold, and it will put you down in a hurry. I just can’t see myself really enjoying this beer regularly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jaymobrown (1649) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 12, 2006
I was surprised to see this on the shelf of Torrence Liquors in Calumet City, but there it was. At $18.99 I thought it’d be a special treat. I could barely make it through the bottle. I love coffee; I drink it constantly. This reminded me nothing of coffee. The nose was faint and weak. Smelled more like chocolate raspberries. Did pour a very nice black with a large brown head. Overall, it was very thick with a syrup texture. It tasted like someone dropped a giant jalapeno pepper in a normal porter. A horrible spice flavor all throughout. I guess it would approximate to an old coffee left out for several monthswith a crap load of red pepper stuck in it. I would never try this again and would actively stay away from it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2008 Bottle warm. Pours dark with a two finger thick tan head. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruit. Flavor is coffee, chocolate, smooth, with a nice hoppy bitter ending. Good body, Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - APR 2, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2009 Pours a rather opaque black color with a thick and creamy tan head. Great lacing. Aroma is at once strongly alcoholic and full of dark-roast. I also picked up notes of brown sugar. Rich and slightly chocolatey coffee flavor is a true joy to sip on. Coffee lingers for minutes on my tastebuds after every sip. A slight overcarbonation keeps the palate from being perfect but doesn’t really hinder my enjoyment of this beer. I highly suggest that people send this beer to me daily so that I can further analyze it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3256) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 30, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2010 Thanks to Secret Santa jimmack for hooking me up with this, my 1200th rating! Poured pitch black, light not penetrating, with a good sized beige head that lasted throughout. Big, rich coffee aroma, with hints of chocolate and liquor. Flavor was a straight match to the aroma. The alcohol, although present, gave a rich liqour texture to this otherwise medium bodied imperial stout. The coffee flavors were excellent, marked by earthy notes with a decent acidic backbone. All in all, a very enjoyable beer. I remember reading that at the brewpub they serve this on nitro. This sounds fantastic to me, as I think in this beer it would be the equivalent of adding a touch of thick cream to a strong cup of coffee. As it is, this was slightly overcarbonated by the bottle conditioning. RERATE: Well, almost 1200 ratings later I finally get to try this on draft. Black, nitro head, perfect lace. Aroma of coffee liquor and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is huge, rich, smooth coffee liquor, hint of chocolate accent on finish. Smooth, rich, luxurious. Orignial bottle rating was 8, 4, 8, 3, 18. Draft on nitro just knocked it up to another level entirely.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3229) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAR 27, 2006
22oz bottle-sampled with my girlfriend at the Blind Pig in Champaign, IL. I have been hunting for this beer for it seems forever. I herd through the site that this bar had a few bottles of this sought after beer. It was $20, but i thought it was worth it. it poured 95% black lightly viscous with a small beige head which was fizzy with tight carbonation. aroma of coca, roast, espresso, licorice, vanilla, and alot of alcohol heat for a 9.5% beer. lots of alcohol, roast and coffee on the flavors. The alcohol brings this beer down quite a bit. Has a nice finish actually-the alchol mends well with the onslaught of dark malt. palate is somewhat of a downfall for this beer-fizzy and somewhat over-carbonated. Im still very happy i got to sample this once hugely sought after beer from Canada

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JugOPunch (83) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 25, 2006
22oz bottle: I was shocked by the aroma when I opened this bottle. It was such a pungent alcohol smell I thought I opened a bottle of Scotch. The pour was a great dark black with a rigid brown head that disappeared slowly. I was really put off by the alcohol aroma and I was praying it was not in the flavor given the hefty price I paid for this bottle. My prayers were only partially answered. It tasted like a dark chocolate expresso with a distracting shot of Jameson in it. Underneath the alcohol veneer was a very good stout with a full body and a rich silky mouthfeel. The coffee flavors were strong yet nicely subtle with small burnt edges. This stout would have been outstanding if not for the all too present alcohol burn. In the end, not worth the $17 I paid.