overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1856   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3258) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 30, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2010 Thanks to Secret Santa jimmack for hooking me up with this, my 1200th rating! Poured pitch black, light not penetrating, with a good sized beige head that lasted throughout. Big, rich coffee aroma, with hints of chocolate and liquor. Flavor was a straight match to the aroma. The alcohol, although present, gave a rich liqour texture to this otherwise medium bodied imperial stout. The coffee flavors were excellent, marked by earthy notes with a decent acidic backbone. All in all, a very enjoyable beer. I remember reading that at the brewpub they serve this on nitro. This sounds fantastic to me, as I think in this beer it would be the equivalent of adding a touch of thick cream to a strong cup of coffee. As it is, this was slightly overcarbonated by the bottle conditioning. RERATE: Well, almost 1200 ratings later I finally get to try this on draft. Black, nitro head, perfect lace. Aroma of coffee liquor and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is huge, rich, smooth coffee liquor, hint of chocolate accent on finish. Smooth, rich, luxurious. Orignial bottle rating was 8, 4, 8, 3, 18. Draft on nitro just knocked it up to another level entirely.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3229) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAR 27, 2006
22oz bottle-sampled with my girlfriend at the Blind Pig in Champaign, IL. I have been hunting for this beer for it seems forever. I herd through the site that this bar had a few bottles of this sought after beer. It was $20, but i thought it was worth it. it poured 95% black lightly viscous with a small beige head which was fizzy with tight carbonation. aroma of coca, roast, espresso, licorice, vanilla, and alot of alcohol heat for a 9.5% beer. lots of alcohol, roast and coffee on the flavors. The alcohol brings this beer down quite a bit. Has a nice finish actually-the alchol mends well with the onslaught of dark malt. palate is somewhat of a downfall for this beer-fizzy and somewhat over-carbonated. Im still very happy i got to sample this once hugely sought after beer from Canada

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JugOPunch (83) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 25, 2006
22oz bottle: I was shocked by the aroma when I opened this bottle. It was such a pungent alcohol smell I thought I opened a bottle of Scotch. The pour was a great dark black with a rigid brown head that disappeared slowly. I was really put off by the alcohol aroma and I was praying it was not in the flavor given the hefty price I paid for this bottle. My prayers were only partially answered. It tasted like a dark chocolate expresso with a distracting shot of Jameson in it. Underneath the alcohol veneer was a very good stout with a full body and a rich silky mouthfeel. The coffee flavors were strong yet nicely subtle with small burnt edges. This stout would have been outstanding if not for the all too present alcohol burn. In the end, not worth the $17 I paid.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zeswaft (1362) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Snagged the last bottle at the Map Room for the bargain price of $22. Very rich and full of character. Lots of coffee in the aroma. There is too much noticeable alcohol in the aroma and flavor though. Definitely warms your belly and gets more pronounced as it warms. A high quality imperial stout but didn’t knock my socks off like i’d hoped.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sersdf (1015) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2008 thanks to zeswaft for sharing. bottle from the Map Room. brilliant beer all around. a particularly coffeish imperial stout (and i hadn’t even read the description). almost had the texture of a porter, but i just chalked that up to the canadianness (perhaps inappopriately). right, so most of the other flavors of a traditional imp stout weren’t so pronounced- chocolate, smokiness, vanilla/carmel/raisens. but i guess that’s the point.... rerate. so i actually am not making up the rating this time since i actually have it in front of me and am not actively falling asleep. suepr coffee and chalk. honestly, the aroma isn’t ridiculously appetzizing. flavor is a bit thin, very coffee’d. zero alcohol. kinda like it at this temperature.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HogTownHarry (6063) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2006 Bottle (660ml - bottled 08 of 2005). Shared with Sammy and DrJay, DrJay’s bottle. Big, BIG thank you to DrJay for sharing this long-sought-after beer with me. Poured thick black, oily, with a minimal brownish head. Aroma really appealed to me somehow, spoke to an older part of my brain: deep roasted coffee & coffee grounds, plums and prunes, alcohol - really liked it. Flavour was a little disappointing - fruitier than I expected, less roastiness, not as hoppy - I even got an odd sweet root beer character from it, as well as a hint of molasses and raisin ... somewhat thin and flat mouthfeel, acidic - still decently complex, just not kick-ass. Overall I’d like a bit more body, and I’m sure aging it a year or two would improve it. Recommended nonetheless. Thanks again, Jay! ** re-rated July 12, 2006 (original rating 9/4/7/4/15=3.9) - I’ve bumped it based on a second tasting, same bottling date - the taste seemed firmer and I enjoyed it more - still overly sweet, but it was definitely a 4+ this time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sammy (8420) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2006
Dark coffee, coffee aroma with some booziness and tiny head. Bottle from Dr. Jay via Sam’s in Chicago. Smooth and medium mouthfeel, tasty, some richness. A bit overrated. A speeedway stout caffeine and alcohol melange. A bit of lace on way down. Understated carbonation. 2005 bottled.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1828) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - MAR 14, 2006
660ml bottle: Bottled 08/05. It was with great anticipation that I opened this beer. I was a touch disappointed, as I thought it may fall into my top ten beers. It pours a somewhat thick, inky brown color. There was a good bit of a tan head on it that lingers for awhile. The aroma definitely has coffee in it. A bit of a smokiness to the nose also. The taste is definitely coffee, with some of the smokiness in there also. The taste is somewhat bitter, but there is a hint of sweet chocolate malt hiding in there also. This beer is quite good, but I don’t quite agree with some of the very high ratings. Thanks to pineypower for this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Combined notes from both batch 1 and batch 2. Opaque black syrupy pour. Ashy coffee aromas. The 04 bottle was insanely ashy - like cigarette ashy. Roasty malts abound, with dark chocolate and some dark fruits. The 05 had sweeter chocolate notes in it to me. The 05 carbonation seemed a little too active. Good imp stouts, but the 04’s cigarette thing was too much. The 05 was much better. My scores are the average of the two.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nolankowal (923) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Bottled April 2005. Wow! A very hard pour leaves a opaque, pitch black liquid with a super bubbly medium tan head that dissapates rather quickly. The aroma is smokey, with some dark chocolate and lots and lots of coffee. The flavor is an even bigger kick of coffee, with some dark chocolate, some hazelnut,carmelized sugar, dark fruits and some smoke. I’ve had plenty of coffee stouts, but this one really hits the mark if that is the flavor you are looking for. This beer is big...chewy and oily over the tounge with a bittersweet coffee/dark chocolate finish. At first I thought this beer was kind of full of itself for the price it was charging for admission, but in the the end I feel it was worth the money.