overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 820   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Strong brown ale inspired by the beer brewed by Belgian Trappist monks. Very little bitterness, this beer has intense malty and sweet flavours, mixed with the taste of chocolate and caramel. It presents complex red fruit and spice flavours due to the type of yeast that is used during the brewing process. This beer is at its best only after it has aged for six months. The Rigor Mortis are complex beers designed and brewed with patience and care in the tradition of the great Belgian Abbey beers.

Rigor Mortis Abt is brewed only once a year, and is sold in April until stocks last.

bedainedebiere (503) - Terrebonne, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 24, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2009 God of Heaven, this is a terrific beer. Quadrupels in Québec are harder to find then proofs that God exists. This Dieu du Ciel beer might in fact be one of these proofs! I never had a Westy but I prefer this one to Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus 12. Who could describe all the flavours in there ? The commercial description only mentions a few of them... And the description doesn’t say a word about its rich and thick texture... 9.5% ABV for the brew I had today on tap, on the second anniversary of being with my girlfriend. I don’t think that it is the special occasion that has me giving a perfect score; it is an amazing beer. ADDED: I bought 18 bottles today! Hehe! Price ranging between 2,59$ to 3,55$ for 341 ml, 14,49$ for 6 at a mysterious location. 10,5%. I could presently lower that perfect rating a little but I won’t do it. The beer will benefit from a few months more of aging and the texture will thicken, but it is already heavenly to me. More spices than I remembered on tap. God am I happy they bottled THIS ONE. Thank you, really! ADDED: Aging’s making it smoother and smoother. The perfect score will stay. November 09, I still have 6... And La Porte des Bieres, on Laurier street, in Montreal, still have many bottles... Sold at the bargain price of 4,99$ per 341 ml bottle. Such a bargain and such a rip-off at the same time. If I was rich, I’d buy all of them...

Bejaaamin (115) - London, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 13, 2009
This truly is one of the greatest beers on the planet(possibly in the universe). I never believed in the gods before, but now i thank them for every day i can get down to Chancey’s and sample another one of these. This is better than any other Abt(obviously in my opinion). The first one i had i could do nothing but stare down the glass as people around tried to converse with me. I will not describe to you this beer, words seriously fail me here. Get your ass out there and try this fucking beer.

bulldogops (1108) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 8, 2010
Served in a trappist glass at Dieu du Ciel in Montréal. 10.5%. Dark chocolatey-brown pour with a foamy tan head, medium retention. Aroma is intense sweet toasted malt, toffee, chocolate. An array of flavours on the palate, chocolate toffee malt, fruity blackcurrant and berries, a yeasty spiciness, hint of cinnamon. Finishes with a tinge of bitterness that lingers with this perfect balance of taste sensations. Absolutely superb. A king among Canadian-made beers.

mrhoppy (1285) - Santa Clara, California, USA - NOV 1, 2010
I’ll ad this to my list of 5’s. This brewery is incredible. Alcohol hits you at first. I taste a little wheat in there. I love that they put this in 12oz. bottles. Very sweet with dark fruits. fabulous!

pirulo (3) - Five city, ABKHAZIA - JAN 30, 2014 does not count
Best belgian speciality ale beer in the world. I’ll really love taste oak version

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
whitecap (289) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 29, 2011
Pours dark red into a 300ml glass from Bar Volo on tap. notes of dark ripe fruit, fairly sweet and incredibly delicious.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 13, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2005 Pour was ruby brown with a thin dense tan head...smell was sweet dark fruits...grapes, prunes...yeast and alcohol...taste was also similiar...dark fruits with the addition of plums...a great alcoholic finish cleans out the fruits nicely...finished a little creamy...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 23, 2005
Pours brown with some floaties present when held up to the light. Smells of a Ye Olde Pepper Mill with some very nice chocolate and cherry notes. Tastes of pluots, raisins, blueberries, rasberries and soda bread. Very complex and well developed.

rampmaster (642) - Alden, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2011
Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a tulip glass. Info on the label includes its abv (10.5%) and a nice description of the beer. Appearance: This beer has a dark murky body with some lighter mahogany and reddish brown highlights. From the pour I got a thin creamy off head. The small head quickly fades to a light film covering with a ring of foam at the edge of the glass. Lacing is slick and slides right down the glass. Smell: It has a big fruity/estery aroma with hints of dark dried fruits like raisins and plum or prune. There are also notes of yeast and sweet bready/toasty almost chocolaty malt and as it warms I get some cherry notes too, along with mellow hints of its big 10.5% abv. Taste/Palate: It starts with its good sweet malty base and then adds fruity and yeast notes to the mix. Everything from the aroma is picked up here and slowly fades off the tongue with some mellow peppery/spicy hops and boozy alcohol. Its full bodied and finely carbonated, which I feel is perfect for the style. Notes: I absolutely love this beer and this brewery! This along with Péché Mortel and Aphrodisiaque have been standouts within there styles and they are some of my favorite beers.

dwyerpg (4637) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 7, 2012
What a beer. Doesn’t have all that much aroma, some crispness and spice. This is really quite tasty. Doesn’t taste anywhere near as strong as it is. Until you stand up, that is. Excellent stuff.