overall
Bryggeriet Djævlebryg
Brewed at Stronzo Brewing Co.

Style: Barley Wine
København Ø., Denmark

RATINGS: 233   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Editor’s note: Previously brewed by Djævlebryg at Brøckhouse, Hillerød, Denmark.

English: Old Mephisto is a big beer: Full, warming and intense. Old Mephisto offers balanced sweetness, roasted caramel and a rounded bitterness - all held together by the vinous character. The inviting brandy coloured Old Mephisto can be enjoyed with strong cheeses, full game dishes or on its own.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AndrewsCheese (9) - Santa Monica, California, USA - FEB 1, 2013 does not count
I agree with the general assessment of this beer. I don’t think it’s really a good example of the prototypical style of English Bitter or Barley Wine. Whatever you want to call it though, it’s one of the best I’ve ever had! This is what I want out of a cold weather beer. Strong, malty, deep, not too bitter. Beautiful aromas of brown butter and caramel and the taste is fantastically balanced. It might not fit neatly into any category, but you need to be drinking this. I am continually impressed by this brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gronahuset (8) - Falköping, SWEDEN - JAN 16, 2012 does not count
I think that to much hops bitterness in a Barley Wine some what spoils the library atmosphere of the beer. An atmosphere that I like very much and constantly returns to, But not with this barley wine. I rather have Gudelös in the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
betweenparties (4) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2011 does not count
When handed a glass of the Djævlebryg Old Mephisto, I instantly saw the color of the drink. It was almost purple, but that could have been from the lighting at the bar I was in. Had a nice darker head on it. Took a big sniff and got more of a fruity earthy smell. took my first taste and was very surprised as this was my first Barley Wine experience. Very hearty, smooth, and wet drink. It surprised me because it didn’t have that kick that most drinks do with that much alcohol. Overall, the drink made my night and I was very fortunate to have a chance to try this. I would recommend this drink to anyone looking for that perfect blend of smooth, great taste, with little to no aftertaste.