RATINGS: 2472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Pours clear honey amber with light, slow rising carbonation and thin off-white head that laces the ring. Aroma is floral, light pine, grapefruit and alcohol. Flavor is sweet with dry hops, light orange/citrus plus some alcohol warming, burning if you take a bigger gulp. Creamy palate. Even though the OH is pretty well hidden considering the high %, it is still a bit overpowering.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Bottle. Pours amber to orange color, with a white head that dissipates slowly. I could not discern much of an aroma, it was close to Allspice and toffee but not flowery like some other IPAs. The beer has a moderate hoppiness to it. Flavor is sweet, with a bitter hop finish that lasts fairly long. On the palate the beer is very smooth. The alcohol shines through a little bit, but one could never tell that it is that high in ABU. A very fine beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sandwichpants (117) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Another successful crazy IPA from Dogfish Head!!! Better than I expected, some have said this beer is a little inconsistent or too extreme, I found it neither. It was a very tasty, malty, and especially floral and aromatic brew. Some flavours in there I donít recognize or know how to put words to attest to the complexity of this beer. And despite itís extreme process, alcohol, and IBUs, it was smooth and easily drinkable (though it had PLENTY of body). Not as extreme and experience as Founders Devil Dancer (my current favorite super IPA), but this beer has a wonderful character all itís own, even amongst the other IPAs of this series. Definitely worth a try!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2005
Pours a pretty reddish orange with a faint trace of head. I want to let it warm up a bit, but the appley brown sugar aroma is too dang inviting, and I just have to take a sip. Iím getting a contact buzz off the aroma, itís like a rum raisin coming off this thing. Itís like liquid gold in my mouth, heavy, creamy and full of flavor. A cornucopia of fruits and rum apple sugar cake. Itís got the depth of a great belgian triple. Thereís a slight hint of fire on the finish and tons of flavor. These guys have outdone themselves. Bravo. If my birthday cake could be a beer this would be a strong candidate. PS Goldorakís rating below rules. I couldnít have explained it better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2005
The 120 has been kind of the Holy Grail for me on my beer "odessy" if you will. My first great beer was the DFH 90 minute, and upon sampling the 60 and then finding out about the 120, it has been my goal to eventually get my hands on this brew. Well it took a while, about 2 years actually, but thanks to this site and mkgrenwell I finally got a few bottles of this. Pours an orange/copper color with a nice head. Good hop aroma, with the alcohol ever present. The flavor is really something, the hops are there, but the insane ABV really keeps them in check with a sweet malty alcohol flavor, that is just as strong as all the intense hoppiness of the brew. Itís really a testament to this beer for the hops to come through at all, something with the ABV of a cheap supermarket vodka shoudnít be this easy drinking and flavorful. Not my favorite beer of all time by any means, but damn was it worth the wait. And I can certainly see how it would improve with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 13, 2005
A clear melted copper colored brew that was pellucid, the kind that seems to give an opposite image of your finger, like in that perfect spot in front of a magnifying glass. Head was fleeting, but bright white.
Highly alcoholic and medicinal, like those disinfected gauzes. But this wasnít that infected, band-aid kind of aroma. It sort of reminded me of Laphroag...The hops are massive, but itís different than most of the other hop monsters Iíve tried before, as if the hops aromas were extracted by maceration in booze, like a crŤme de cassis.
The malt is there, and chunky as hell. Take a heaping spoonfull of DME, put in a few drops of vodka and mix it into a rough paste, and chew it like gum. Then shove a few hop pellets in there. I wouldnít exactly call this Beer a balanced one, nor did the brewer intend it to be this way, I bet. A very present malt sweetness that stands side by side with the hops like two gigantic robots fighting for the fate of the universe in some japanese manga. Taste is like rapinis blanched in maple syrup. Even in the aftertaste, smaking your lips immediately brings back the herbal, mouth puckering hops, but the lingering malt also! Itís like rock candy with the hop bud center.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BobbyW3363 (154) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 12, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 Drinking this for the third or fourth time. After trying the 60- and 90- minute IPAs I was really looking forward to trying the 120-minute! It more than lived up to my expectations. Though it doesnít really taste anything like your traditional IPA, this beer is excellent. It pours a nice amber color, and smells both hoppy and malty. The taste is complex; both sweet and hoppy, and surprisingly, the high alcohol content is less noticible in the mouth than one would think. It gives a warming feeling in the chest, but does not burn the mouth or throat. A must try for any IPA fan or Strong ale fan.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
blankboy (6667) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2005
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry & tupalev -- courtesy of Dave B. I had heard this beer was good but never did I imagine it was this good! Pours a clear, slightly bubbly, orange-amber with a small lasting foamy white head. The aroma: hopjuice baby! Oh yeah, I frigginí love it -- I am going to just sniff this all night. Sniff. Sniff. The flavour: Holy Sh!t! Can a beer taste better than this? the following superlatives come to mind: Excellent! Impessive! Delicious!...you get the idea. If I must describe it further then I would say the flavour is a wonderful blend of juicy hops and toasty malt and is surprisingly well balanced. I freaked when I saw this was 21%, I exclaimed loudly "Thereís no way!", hell Iím still shocked as you would never know it by the taste. Palate is syrupy and has a Barley Wine texture. Quite simply one of the best beers Iíve ever had and Iíd argue one of the best beers period.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2005
Bottle graciously shared by Hogtown Harry with Blankboy and GregClow. I was just flipping though some other ratings of this - why in the world are people so hung up on style here? BarleyWine, Double IPA, I donít care, all I know is that this is a beer that I have been waiting to try for some time. I was a little cautious, as the World Wide Stout was massively disappointing, all alcohol and nothing else. So I sipped this with the aforementioned caution. First off, it looks amazing. Dark intense orange, lots of streaming bubbles, thick foamy white head - I canít see a beer like this looking any better, so 5 there. The aroma- wow, it is actually quite mild! At 21% and these hops, I had insulated my nose hairs in case of fire, but it isnít there. What is there is a mild hop aroma with tons of bready malt - it smells formidable, but there really isnít any alcohol to speak of. The taste: WOW. I never thought I would use the word balanced to describe a 21% hopped all to hell beer, but here you go - it is remarkably balanced (more so than their 90 Minute I would argue). I get lots of hops, more really bread like malt, and alcohol for sure, but maybe more like an 8-10% beer - this is remarkably restrained. More importantly, it is the most balanced big Double IPA I have ever had. Medium silky mouthfeel. A nice sweet fruitiness in the background as well. Way more accessible than the World Wide Stout, this is truly heaven in a glass. Thank you Harry for sharing this. 120 Minute: Welcome to my Top 10.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - DEC 11, 2005
Hot damn. This was more like a barleywine with hops than a IIPA. Way overkill on the alcohol, felt like i was taking shots. still had a few distinguishable flavors, but most ofthem were covered up by the alcohol burn. I think itís safe to say that this one pretty much knocked me on my ass this weekend.