overall

RATINGS: 2321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Uriel (146) - San Jose, California, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Gorgeous amber color with a slightly foamy head. Shockingly malty sweet nose with fruity and caramel-like notes. Low carbonation, with a sticky body - this one warms nicely on the way down. The very first hit is hoppy, then the rest of the swallow is smooth and sweet, almost like a trippel. MMM.

jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Beatiful clear amber with an off-white head. Nose is surprisingly more malty than hoppy with sweet fruits. Tastes like an IPA-inspired barleywine; has notes of grapefruit/citrus and obviously plenty of hops. Sticky, syrupy sweet. I found the flavor to be stronger on the side of the toasty malt, dark fruit and caramel. Has a very warming alcohol presence but the alcohol is not overpowering. Actually, I canít believe this is 20% alcohol. Bitter, toasty aftertaste but not nearly as bitter as you would expect given the amount of hops used to make this brew. Very full, round and smooth on the palate with subtle carbonation. This one is a sipper for sure. Overall, nice brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2004
Well, after all the patient waiting to rest my lips upon the 120 Minute, I was... disappointed. Itís a very good beer by any lights, but it buckled under the weight of its ambitions, I think. If Iím drinking a beer, I like it to maintain a modicum of being a beer, but the 21% made it taste more like a liqour. Having said that, it was still a more than acceptable brew. Not surprisingly, it is quite hoppy, but this is tempered by the sweetness (likely needed to jack it up to such high alcohol levels). This strains to stay within the confines allocated to IPAs, quite frankly. If a true IPA is desired, stick to Dogfish Headís 90 Minute IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2340) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2004
This is something like how I remember the 90 being like when it came in 750s. Gold with next to no head. Qwak is groaning. Nose is sweet malt, alcohol & hops. Dark fruits/barleywiney supermaltbomb. Are you sure this isnít a barleywine? Rich malt, rasin, swet grapefruit. Smooth body. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
redmosquito (172) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Well, I do consider myself a hophead so letís see. It pours a cloudy copper color with a decent head out of the 12oz bottle. The aroma is definately hops, overpowering any malt and even that 21% alcohol. My first guess is a citrusy centennial or amarillo hop, but as I let it sit my nose tells me piney northern brewer, or possibly chinook. The flavor is surprisingly harsh, with the hop flavor being somewhat grassy and medicinal. There just doesnít seem to be enough malt flavor to balance the hops. I am impressed at the subdued nature of the alcohol. My palate seems a little sore from the harshness. Overall, I like what they are doing, and the idea, and the product delivers in the aroma, but I was disappointed with the overall product.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Ldogdotcom (1) - USA - DEC 28, 2004 does not count
This beer had everything that I was looking for except good taste. The hoppiness was quickly overpowered by the isopropyl-like burn that quickly turned into a fear of going blind from drinking anti-freeze. Being that I spent $6.99 on one (1) bottle, it quickly equated to the most expensive bottle I have ever purchased. $6.99 for 12 oz is expensive, however, $6.99 for one sip is even worse. It did, however, remove some spilled paint that I couldnít got off of my countertop when I clutched my throat from the putrid taste of the "beer" and accidentially knocked this liquid gold (pricewise, not taste) over. I think a perfect compliment would be a tablespoon of Endorphine Rush, washed down with a bottle of 120 Minute IPA and followed up with being poked with a stick in the eye.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Foxbush (1250) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2009 This was a Christmas gift. I normally love IPAs, but this was out of my league at this stage. This IPA poured with little head and deep copper in color. I like balance, but this was too strong from the get go. I like IPAs but not 120 Minute IPA. As my taste and experience grow I will try again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cfranz (261) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Let me just say, this is the first time I paid ten dollars for a twelve-ounce bottle of beer. But it was quite worth trying. The bottle we tried was brewed in 2004; I donít know if I have the patience to age it for a decade, as the label suggests. It was quite tasty. Its texture was smooth and silky; it slipped on the tongue like Drambuie. It was quite sweet and packed a wallop. The overabundance of hops might have been overwhelmed by the sweetness or alcohol content. This is the brandy of beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 13, 2004
clear glossy amber color, almost no head - thin, off-white and rapidly diminishing. ephemeral lacing too. alcohol, hop liqueur, malty aroma and flavor. cloying. too sweet and to high abv for me. light but sparkly carbonation. cloying, alcohol hop finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeMcPhee (8302) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2009 Deep orange colour with a brandy-like, almost still appearance. Sweet vineous malt character, ice wine aroma, cookie dough and toffee malts. Some berry fruitiness. Flavour is very sweet showing toffee, caramel, white grapes with a light white pepper spiciness in the finish. Very sticky and chewy.