overall

RATINGS: 2352   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 17, 2004
Thick syrup pouring from the bottle. Tiny bubbles struggle to reach the thin white head. Hazy orange color. Smells of apricot, pineapple and alcohol. Dense body that covers your tongue with fruit basket of flavors. Muted hop presence and bitterness. Finishes with alcohol rising into the sinus. Tastes more like a barly wine than an IPA. Hides the alcohol well. Clears as it warms.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Poured an orange with a small white head that left lacing on the glass.Sweet hoppy, grapefruit, and alcohol aroma. Very sweety hoppy taste with nice bitter alcohol finish. I prefer 90 minute over this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2004
Hazy Orange With No Head. Would Like to Try This One Alongside the 90 Minute. I Enjoyed the 90 Minute Better I Think. Definitly some Hops, But Not as Potent As I Expected. Little Bit of Fruit..But Thatís About it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Yeeech, first smell is great, but the first taste is like holy crap this stuff is sweet, kinda like those candies that are made that way. Glad I had only one of these bottles because I definatly am not a hop head like they say you need to be.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jon112981 (327) - Bristow, Virginia, USA - SEP 11, 2004
No head atop the copper pour. Smell is not as strong as I anticipated. Very smooth for something that is supposed to kick you in the teeth. Amazing aftertaste. Makes you forget how much alcohol is in this baby.

badgerben (4395) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 10, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2008 Original Rating, September 10, 2004: Uffda! Pours a dark orange color with no head. The aroma struck me as alcoholic cherries. The hops didnít stand out nearly as much as I thought it would. In all honesty, I thought the 90 Minute tasted more of hops. This had a bit of an apple hit to it as well. 8/4/7/3/16 Re-rating, October 26, 2008: Dark orange color with a thin head. A strong, leafy aroma. Lots of tangerine and caramel malts. Big, rich, sweet malt flavor. A lot of caramel and a bit of toasted malt. Thick and creamy. Tangerine and orange hops. Definite bitterness, but I certainly stand by my prior comment of 90 Minute tasting more hoppy and bitter than 120. I think this is an IIPA with a lot more malt than should be there, if you were brewing to style. If not, then it’s just a damn delicious beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
fiulijn (14381) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 9, 2004
Copper color. Lighter aroma than other American IPAís, excellent taste, very sweet, a bit oily, quite fruity, ending with the strong bitterness. Canít believe itís 20% ABV!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
legion242 (2174) - Richardson, Texas, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Wow, I donít even know where to start. First off, I find thi sbeer to be really one dimensional, but how can it not be, considering how it was made. I recently bought a bottle of Hop Schnapps in Germany, and this whole pint reminds me of that a lot. The 20% definitely goes straight to the melon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - SEP 7, 2004
Lots of hop aroma, grapefruit and strong. Also lots of alcohol as well. Copper/amber aroma with a thin white head. Starts out with a huge grapefruit taste, then a bitterness, and then a astringent flavor. It ended with a curious sweetness that almost tasted like pure sugar had been dumped into the bottle. A nice thick mouthfeel and a long finish. Truly interesting and yummy.

rajendra82 (952) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - SEP 6, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2005 This one came to me thanks to the fine BeerAdvocate mikeys01, as part of HHHIF 1.0 take two. The pour was intense reddish orange with a foamy smallish head capping the body. There was very little latent carbonation to speak of. The aroma was much more subdued than I had anticipated, with resinous hop presence balanced out by sweet malts, and perfumey alcohol. The taste nearly bowled me over with the extreme sweetness of the first sip. The next sips revealed spicy, warm alcohol, and surprisingly very little hop bit, but the initial sweetness continued to overpower all other tastes. The mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky, with a deep burn. The drinkability is a letdown. This is a genre busting drink that is very unlike any other Imperial IPA, or any other beer for that matter. Itís closer to a distilled beverage than your average beer, and makes no bones about it.

Update:
The second time I tried this I liked it a whole lot more. I have updated the scores to reflect that. This time I rather enjoyed the zingingly spicy hops and the searing alcohol burn. And the sweetness didnít bother me as much as I had remembered. Probably a case of knowing what to expect before opening the bottle. A shockingly different beer for certain .