overall

RATINGS: 2427   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogfish120 (143) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAR 5, 2005
I love strong beer so this was for me.....and IPA’s are a fav. Love the rich thick mouthfeel combined with the fruity sweetness and alchohol kick.....who couldn’t want more? Def worth the price.

FROTHINGSLOSH (5188) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 25, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2009 I had managed to have this one only once before and that was before I started rating. Luckily I had kept a second bottle aside -as price and availability problems keep me from having much of this one around. This rating was for the 2003 batch. Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this fine brew poured a light orange color with only a trace of a small yellow-tan head. The aroma is sweet fruit, flowery hops, grapefruit, apple and pear. The mouthfeel is very thick. The beer is remarkably sweet. The flavor is strong with fruity elements and has a sharp hoppy finish. Considering the whopping 20% alcohol in this one I found the alcohol taste to be surprisingly muted. Or maybe I have just been drinking too many high alcohol beers in the last year to notice. Sadly, now my stock is empty and I must endeavor to acquire again...Update 10/27/09 - I have just managed to have this on draft and must say that it is IPA perfection in every way. Sweeter and fruitier on draft and with less alcohol showing through. The score above has been updated to reflect the draft’s perfection.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Maxamillion (103) - Glendora, California, USA - FEB 22, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2005 alcohol!! thats what this beer is about. Really hoppy. its kinda a kick in the face. Taste good at first but is just too strong for me. dont like after taste either. If your looking to get tons of kick in a small bottle this is for you! way to expensive though for 9 bucks a bottle.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 13, 2005
12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DogfishKing (22) - USA - FEB 11, 2005
Sigh......I really looked forward to tasting it. I was quite displeased. I would pay the 8$ for a bottle of 90min before I bought this again. Wasnt hateful but the Alcohol made it nearly unbearable and I love strong beer. Nice novalty...not enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Pulled this out of an old notebook. On tap at andy’s/ Served ina 6oz glass. Very strong alcohol. That really says it all. This is well made, but damn, alcohl!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 6, 2005
I probably shouldn’t have started the night with this one, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Rich bronze, floral aroma, extreme but engaging balance of sweet and bitter, like bowling balls on both far ends of a seesaw, it could have all gone wrong so easily but it works.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ClarkVV (3929) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 28, 2005
2003 bottle sampled 1/27/05 at Anam Cara. Deep burnished copper color with some light yellow/gold hues. Billowing white head. The saving grace of the night and the only beer that I particularly care for out of DFHs extreme creations. Smells of grapefruit, light pine, some floral bitterness, very spicy and fresh, with a dry pale malt in the background, with some dry toffee notes as well. Flavor starts out bitter and heavily hopped, but seems to hang in balance with the malt base. Not syrupy or cloying, with a good Double IPA like feel to it. Alcohol seems to be covered pretty well by the hops. Full body, moderate carbonation. I found it to be drinkable, which was nice, as I was looking to drink beer at the time, not sip liquor resembling drinks. A bit too bitter though, on the end, with nowhere near the amount of complexity it should have. I’ll keep cellaring the bottles I have for another handful of years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JAN 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2007 This is a good beer; however, there isn’t much difference between this $9-for-a-12oz-bottle of this and the comparably priced FOUR PACK of the 90 Minute. Way overpriced for what you get. I will not be buying another of this when I can get 4 of an as good (or maybe even better) IPA. Loaded with hops flavor. HInts of orange and lemon coupled with an earthy taste are dominant on the palate. The alcohol is VERY well-hidden, so take it easy with this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Braudog (5949) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2007 Look up "overkill" in the beer dictionary, and this beer will be there. The overpowering ctirc oil hoppiness on this viscuous beer is just too much. It looks good, but once you get within a foot and get a whiff of the fermented raisin nose, you know you’re in for trouble. 20% ABV? No shit!