overall

RATINGS: 2523   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ratman197 (13100) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - SEP 18, 2005
750 bottle 2003 vintage poured a clear golden amber with an offwhite head. Aromas was earthy,carmel, pine, and citrus. Palate was on the syrupy side. Flavors of sweet carmel, maple, subtle charred oak, with a strong alcohol finish,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 17, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2005 [bottle] Pours a clear amber, with a bubbly off-white head. Aroma is strong pine/hop resins. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and immediate sweetness! The sweetness dominates, then the alcohol warms the palate- I was expecting more bitterness with this brew, but the fruity, floral sweetness takes over and fills the mouth. I expected a lot from this beer, and it provides, but Iím not sure about it being the "holy grail for hopheads". Iíll take the 90 minute for a hop assault, the 120 is a freak of nature.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 16, 2005
Hmmm....I expected sooo much from this brew. Alas, for the price I shall NEVER purchase this again. Pours flossy amber. Crusty caramel in the light. earthy white head. Nose is excellently brash. Massive piney hop emulsion! Mmmm... I thought. This is gonna be ridiculous. So resiny I donít know what to do! As I press it to my pursed lips nothing but cotton candy, brandy, and tree bark flow into my mouth, with an exceedingly bitter backlash on the back-end. Missing the cavernous resins of the aroma. Lacking the enrapturing piney flower of the smell. More like the Greek brandy Metaxa (no Seriously it is a lot like that) Good beer for certain. NOT HOPPY ENOUGH. Raw sugar, flossed out cloying sweetness. Good but not what it purports. If it werenít $3000 a bottle I would buy more. G-rat

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joergen (25841) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - SEP 13, 2005
Bottled. Clear orange coloured with a medium sized off white head. Sweet aroma of malts, caramel, hops and alcohol. Sweet flavour with lots of malts, hops and dried fruits. A bit too sweet for my liking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Engelsmann (651) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 12, 2005
Bottled. Pours a dark golden, with a white head. Aroma is sweet, malty, alcohol, and lots of hops. Taste is sweet, very sweet, with a masive hoppy bitternes. I find this beer to sweet, but stil an okay beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
skisangelo (60) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - SEP 9, 2005
I had a very young bottle, and the aroma was what you would expect... Hoppy. The taste was very hoppy at first, but became dominated by sweet malt. Too malty for me. The 90 minute is a lot better then both the 60 and 120.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - SEP 9, 2005
My sample was pretty mellow, from 2004. It actually didnít have a hop dominance that I was expecting, but the flavor was wonderful! Actually a bit of an anis flavor with vanilla, also a bit grassy. I donít think I will get an older sample anytime soon, but Iíd like to do a vertical of this one! Great beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sleepingbear (27) - Lake Leelanau - Detroit, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2005
I guess I really wanted to like this beer because a twelve ounce cost ten dollars. Once opened and consumed I guess I was pleased maybe it went over my head? It was fabulous, donít get me wrong. It was the Hop Monster that it claims to be. Having a great smooth and lively body laden with loads of flavors that lingered on and on. Excellent, but not something I can drink easily. *So filling that It also would make an excellent loaf of bread should you pour it into a bread tin and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 mins. ;-]

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheEnemy (564) - Chicago, USA - SEP 5, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2005 From a 12-oz bottle purchased at The Sharp Edge, Pittsburgh (East Liberty location) PA
Massive alcohol aroma; also huge notes of dried fruit -- raisin, dried apple, citrus, etc. Almost smells like it would be great on breakfast panakes. (Probably would be, but I donít want to waste a bottle to find out.) Nice amber orange color, slightly cloudy. Little if any head forms on pour and carbonation is slight. Flavor is packed with intense floral & bitter hop. Lots of slightly tart fruitiness and huge complex highly sweet malt mitigates the hop bitterness to save the beer from simply tasting like hop extract. Even as these massive flavors stage a riot on the tongue, they canít disguise the high alcohol content, which gently warms the mouth and esophagus on the way down. Does not taste like an IPA at all -- at least one prior reviewer suggests it might be more appropriately classified as a barleywine, and I concur. Points knocked off for not being to style. Too bad -- this is an excellent concoction otherwise. Very thick almost syrupy palate. No beer that is 20% ABV has any business going down as smoothly as this stuff does. One of my all-time favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikie681 (4) - USA - SEP 2, 2005 does not count
Amber pour with a very hoppy aroma. Very smooth for its strength, though. Orangey taste with pleasant sweet aftertaste.