overall

RATINGS: 2320   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Poured a slightly cloudy golden amber color with a large head that quicly receded to a small coating on the surface. Aroma was citrusy, fruity, and spicy - and you can definitely smell the high alcohol content. Very smooth and creamy feel. This is very sweet for an IPA. While the bitterness is present, I don’t taste 120 IBUs. The taste is spicy and sweet, and while the alcohol is detectable, it doesn’t overpower the flavor in my opinion. The finish is much shorter than many IPAs. Overall, this seems closer to a Barley Wine or a Mead than an IPA. Still, it is a very pleasant brew, and there is nothing quite like it that I have found. As far as IPAs go, DFH 90 minute is still my pick.

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 26, 2004
Poured thickly, a hazy orangey-amber color with a moderate off-white head that diminished fairly quickly. Aroma is sweet, but with a nice full cascade hop smell. Flavor is very sweet - almost citrus liquer-like and a little cloying for me. Definite hop finish and though the alcohol is noticible it's well balanced for a 20% monster. Thick, syrupy body and minimal carbonation. Certainly one that I wanted to experience, but combining price, sweetness and alcohol level, not one that I'll seek out again soon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - APR 26, 2004
4/25/04. Poured out of 12 oz. bottle, bought at Hi-Times Wine in Costa Mesa, CA 4/23/04. Pours a dark golden amber, extremely syrupy looking with a fluffy but rocky and somewhat diminishing off-white head. Lacing is very good, and this beer just looks decadent. The aroma confirms-- you're in for a ride. Slight hint of whiskey with the apparent alcohol, and just a rich, caramelly hop syrup scent all around. Not as strong as I'd hope for, but the aroma is wonderfully complex. First sip, the ride begins-- ridiculously rich, sweet hops and slight porty flavors, alcohol and kayo syrup. A little oversweet, perhaps, but I definitely likes. Mouthfeel is super-full and so thick it almost feels like you're eating it. Finish show the alcohol as well as the hops, but it's definitely not as interesting as the 90-minute. Quite an ass-kicker, this beer-- you drink it and feel almost immediately everything that it has to offer, but it's very pleasureful if you can dig it. I definitely can. Hard to drink it in large quantities, although I knocked down a 12 oz. in the same sitting as a bottle each of the 90- and 60-minutes. I think it's not as elegant as the 90-minute, but still a damn fine and certainly amazing, over-the-top beer. Rich and decadent, it has many of the properties I look for in a special occasion beer. Buyer beware! You cannot handle this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drinkbeer (281) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - APR 24, 2004
2004 release. This beer almost killed me. Such a thick, syrupy palate which reminded me of a barleywine such as Old Guardian. Bountiful hops in aroma and taste, yet the extreme pine bitterness is countered by sweet luscious malts. The alcohol lovingly burns with each swallow. After about 3/4 of a 12oz bottle, I had a mild break out of hives on my skin. This beer caused some sort of alergic reaction...perhaps from the insane amount of hops. I have never before experienced this...but I love it! This shit really did kick my ass!

Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2004
I scored one of these(at 17 bucks I couldn't convince myself to get more)while on vacation in Virginia. This beer poured a clear copper amber color and formed a huge foamy white head that left laticed lace as it subsided. Very little carbonation is present. An aroma of hops and malt, but surprisingly balanced. I thought the hops would have been more dominating with the usual Dogfish experimenting, but I was wrong. A slight hint of caramel is also present with a touch of pine. The flavor was of malt and hops with a medium caramel like taste with a warm aspect of the alcohol present. The finish was a medium creamy body with a sweet finish and warming alcohol. After Imperials, IPAs are one of my favorites. As with World Wide Stout, while this was a good beer, the pushing of the limits pushes it out of the top contention for IPAs if it can even be called that anymore.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - APR 23, 2004
Big piney/citrus hop aroma, some caramelly sweetness as well. Poured a medium amber color, thin head, with a bit of lace. Flavor is predominantly sweet, much to my surprise. Tasted like an aggressively hopped barley wine. Caramel, brown sugar, alcohol, and some hops round it out. Big body, but alcohol is not very well hidden. Although hoppy, not anywhere near as hoppy as I expected. Pretty good, I just think they'd be better off calling it something other than an IPA because the hops just don't bite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - APR 19, 2004
Deep rich amber color with a small off white head. Strange oily, floral, citrus nose. Flavor starts very rich, sweet and flowery hiding the alcohol and extreme hop bitterness all to well. The finish is light orange peel bitter, lingering and somewhat dry with a mild alcohol burn in the throat. Rich smooth palate, but this brew is over-rated, over hopped, overly sweet and way over priced IMHO. The 20% ABV does, however, serve it's purpose !!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 18, 2004
I have to agree with Matta, though my ass is more cream colored than white. There are definitely hoppier beers out there. Extremely heavy bodied with plenty of sweet malt flavor. Alcohol is astonishingly well concealed for such a beefy beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigbish (510) - California, USA - APR 18, 2004
A very good beer. Not as hoppy as I expected, but more of a sweet syrupy flavor. Definatly worth a try if you can find it. Not worth the $8 a bottle I had to pay though.

BennyTicklez (621) - USA - APR 18, 2004
The Hopasaurus Rex of beers. I was scared to try this beer being 21%, but I loved it. I was expecting "brown water" but got far more flavor than I expected. This beer hides the alcohol fairly well. Thumbs up!