overall

RATINGS: 2377   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 29, 2004
Much, much sweeter than expected. Poured a golden coppery liquid. Both aroma and palate was sweet, thick and sticky. Nice and smooth mouthfeel. Quite much alcohol which almost paralizes the tonue. Anyway, it was very delicious, but only moderate portions. Came in a 75cl bottle. Way too powerful for only two people.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - JUN 18, 2004
Bottle was 750 ml corked. The cork took some coaxing, but eventually came out with a small pop. Inspection of the cork revealed it was most likely a composite or artificial cork, but that doesnít make any difference to me. The front of the label says 2003 vintage, but the edge of the label has a printed scale for month and year of bottling, but there are no marks there. Immediately after the cork is released, a strong, citrusy hop aroma leaps out, but quickly goes away. Iím thinking, ďOK, lots of Cascade in this one.Ē Upon closer smelling, I also discover lots of malty sweetness and hoppy earthiness, plus plenty of alcohol. Color is a radiant, copper orange. It almost glows against the magenta sunset behind the pine trees outside the windows. Carbonation is lively, and a respectable, tight white head forms and lingers, in spite of the alcohol content. I have read other beer enthusiasts review of this beer, so I knew the taste would not be overwhelming hops, and I was correct. (Consensus seems to be the 90 minute, which I have not had, has the most aggressive hop profile.) There were lots of hops in here, make no mistake, but there is also lots of malt, or maybe more appropriately, sweetness. After about 5 or 10 sips, I started thinking I was detecting a bit of light Belgian candi sugar. The sweetness was unmistakable against the hops. For a beer hailed and revered for itís hoppiness, it really has an abundance of sweetness. Almost syrupy as it dries on the lips. The sweetness, (apple like) is more noticeable than the hoppiness. (Iíve heard they are now selling a Ďmalt liquorí. Iíve not had it, but wondering if there are any similarities between that and this beer?) Alcohol is also a big factor in the taste of this beer, particularly the finish. It is very warming, which on a night like tonight was very welcome Speaking of the finish, it was sweet, more so than hoppy, slightly fruity, but mostly alcoholic. Overall, my impressions of this beer are favorable, more so because the setting fit the beer so well. A cool night, a warming beer. Had I had this on a typical summer evening, Iím not sure I could have finished it. Do they package this beer in 12 oz. Bottles? Great body, the hops are almost secondary. Again, I wonder if there is Belgian candi sugar or some other non-fermentable sugar in this beer to boost the residual sweetness (maltose?), perhaps added after primary fermentation? As for comparisons with the 60, 90, and 120, I could easily understand how they might be totally different beers. By the way, my Twins lost to the Brewers tonight. The Brewcrew has been maligned in the last couple of years, but they have a decent team this year with a solid pitching staff. Weíll get ya tomorrow tho!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - JUN 18, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2006 Pours a very attractive light orange, small head with some fine lacing. The aroma is unsurprisingly hops hops and more hops. I think itís more of a hop flavored apertif or liquer than a beer, but it certainly is unique.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Dogfish is brillant! I have to admit, I really didnít think I would like this one since my palate tends not to like IPAs. However, Dogfish Head balanced this IPA so amazingly well, that it has to be my favorite of the style out there. I must try for all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - JUN 17, 2004
I purchased this beer back in May and kept it in the fridge. I purchased it a more of a novelty, thinking that a beer with 20% alcohol would be a little too strong, but I was very, very wrong. Aroma was fruity with hints on apricots and sweet malt. Poured out clean clear dark amber with a very small head. Flavor was rich and complex and slightly sweet. Full rich mouth feel and great robust flavors of hops, malt, and fruit. I must say this is the very best IPA I have ever had. The alcohol was well hidden and didnít over power. I just wish I had more!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2004
I had high hopes for this beer, especially considering the price. But, it just wasnít my thing. The aroma is very sweet with some alcohol. The body is very thick with a syrupy mouthfeel. The taste is just about completely dominated by a syrupy sweetness. Under this is the hop bite and alcohol flavors. Although there is a very warm mouthfeel, the big 20% alcohol is very well hidden. So I can appriciate this beer, I just donít personally like it too much. The syrupy sweetness is just too much . It was hard to finish this beer. Like a cherry cough syrup liquor beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zathrus13 (1721) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - JUN 13, 2004
Pours golden/amber. Aroma is hops, grapefruit, pine, sweet malt and alcohol. Taste is very sweet, much more than expected with honey, slight grapefruit and toffee. Mouthfeel is more like a barleywine, somewhat heavy. Overall, I like this one, for its unexpected sweetness and interesting flavors.That said, the 90 minute IPA is still better. This is #96 on my march to 100.

HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 12, 2004
Sweet nose. Good carbonation with good lacing. And look at the legs on this beer! Clear yellow/gold. Sweet cookie flavor. Nice finish. Did not taste like it had 20% alcohol. Watch out! This is a beer to be savored.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2004
This is my 100th rating. I love the 90 and 60 minute so I anticipated this being the best, but Iím not sure it is. Pours a gold color with amber tones, a nice head that unfortuantely did not last. Dry, and easily the most hopped beer Iíve ever had. Taste improves as it warms and the alcohol is masked well but is still noticeable. The beer has an aroma of hops and more hops, but some malt is noticebale. Still, not well balanced. It was dry as I said, and a little bitterness as it warms filled my heart with joy. A good beer, but Iíll take 90 minute over this any day.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
heemer77 (5106) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2004
I continue to be less impressed by heavily hopped Dogfish Heads than those that have less hops. I really wanted to like this, but it is definitely not worth the huge price tag. Lots of little bubbles go lazily up the glass. There is a small head and a light colored copper body. This looks, smells and tastes like an immature barley wine. The smells are dirt, flowers, moss and soybeans at first. Later I also smelled roasted malts. This is very dank and reminds me of deep, dark cellars. The taste begins very sweetly. It later becomes a little more balanced. I tasted cinnamon, toffee, pepper and cloves. Has a spicy finish. An interesting experience, but certainly not my favorite IPA.