overall

RATINGS: 2335   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - APR 23, 2004
Big piney/citrus hop aroma, some caramelly sweetness as well. Poured a medium amber color, thin head, with a bit of lace. Flavor is predominantly sweet, much to my surprise. Tasted like an aggressively hopped barley wine. Caramel, brown sugar, alcohol, and some hops round it out. Big body, but alcohol is not very well hidden. Although hoppy, not anywhere near as hoppy as I expected. Pretty good, I just think they'd be better off calling it something other than an IPA because the hops just don't bite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - APR 19, 2004
Deep rich amber color with a small off white head. Strange oily, floral, citrus nose. Flavor starts very rich, sweet and flowery hiding the alcohol and extreme hop bitterness all to well. The finish is light orange peel bitter, lingering and somewhat dry with a mild alcohol burn in the throat. Rich smooth palate, but this brew is over-rated, over hopped, overly sweet and way over priced IMHO. The 20% ABV does, however, serve it's purpose !!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 18, 2004
I have to agree with Matta, though my ass is more cream colored than white. There are definitely hoppier beers out there. Extremely heavy bodied with plenty of sweet malt flavor. Alcohol is astonishingly well concealed for such a beefy beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigbish (511) - California, USA - APR 18, 2004
A very good beer. Not as hoppy as I expected, but more of a sweet syrupy flavor. Definatly worth a try if you can find it. Not worth the $8 a bottle I had to pay though.

BennyTicklez (621) - USA - APR 18, 2004
The Hopasaurus Rex of beers. I was scared to try this beer being 21%, but I loved it. I was expecting "brown water" but got far more flavor than I expected. This beer hides the alcohol fairly well. Thumbs up!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
garrison (757) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2004
UPDATED: APR 14, 2004 I had a 4 pack of this one as payment for fixing a friend's wife's computer... it poured a dark, reddish hue, with a small, quickly fading tan head, and had a very thick, sticky body. The aroma was one of citrus and grain, and the taste was full-bodied, complwx, and quite striking! I like this beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 11, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2004 Rating # 441
ReRate 11/23/04
This beer is truly a work of Art! How ever did DFH create a beer this potent and dangerously drinkable, I will NEVER understand? After all the bottles that I have opened in the past few weeks; my former 3.7 rating will be taking a bump up!

Yet another brew that BeanDip and the Monkey supplied at our Friday night tasting.
Poured with a golden bronze body and a fat rocky white head that stuck around for the party. The aroma… as my girlfriend suggested, “That smells like Cheesy Bread,” and it did to some extent. I noted a rather sweet and sourness to the beer, somewhat liken to apple vinegar, vanilla, and a molasses combination.
120 IBU’s My White Ass! The flavor had a considerable smokiness to it, very syrupy and molasses like, IMO. I detected some bitterness in the initial finish, but this beer was very sugary sweet overall! Massive suggestions of caramel takeover and make this cousin to a liquor. The palate was very slick and creamy which was very nice……. but come on, what’s going on with this brew? I suppose I need to sample it again…. I distinguished less IBU’s in the 120 than I did in the 60 min IPA?

Thanks again to BeanDip and Michael for having us over!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - APR 11, 2004
Very unique. Pours clear amber/orange color. Had a rocky white head that stuck around. Definately could smell the high alcohol content and the high hop content. Tastes sweet and oily and spicey at first but quickly finishes to a crisp hoppy bitter aftertaste. I rather liked this brew, would go nice with some sharp cheese.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - APR 9, 2004
clear, reddish/orange/amber color, not much of a head, strong alcohol aroma, hops, some sweet malt, pine and grapefruit; flavor has a definite alcohol presence and a slight burn, tons of hops, oily and bitter, some citrus, pine, and grapefruit, some sweetness, rich texture, powerful and warming, dry, not so smooth but well done

BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - APR 9, 2004
Very interesting brew to say the least. Smells like a fruit and cheese tray. Big alcohol in nose and taste. Swear it tastes a bit like seasoned pork. Kind of sweet. Slick texture. Same lovely color as ApriHop. Really didn't seem 120 IBU hoppy at all to me - compared to the 90 min. that is. The 21% kicks you hard. Nothing like I was expecting. Very interesting and quite enjoyable.