overall

RATINGS: 2514   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45įP, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUís, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juelze (1144) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 5, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2009 Bottle 3/25/05 date. Cost me $10.99!!! Talk about expensive. I couldnít pass it up but after getting home and finding itís 21%ABV I donít feel so bad. Smells of very slight hops, caramel malt, and of course alcohol. Pours an amber color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Flavor was decent but where are the damn hops?? More of a sweet caramel malt flavor to me. Too sweet and not bitter enough. Has a nice medium body and finishes remarkably smooth. No way is this stuff 21% ABV it drinks WAY smoother then that. The only way it lets on that itís potent is by the increase in body temperature from this stuff. Although disappointed at the lack of hops itís a decent beer but too expensive to be a daily drinker. Still, any beer that masks the alcohol this much deserves some recognition.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 4, 2005
bottle from brickskeller. criminy. aroma hits you like a hammer. hoppy, boozy. flavor is intense: loads of fruit, maltiness dominates and then the hops step in and dry it down to just the right level. iím in heaven and i donít consider myself a hophead.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
earendil (3) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAR 31, 2005 does not count
Beautiful caramel colour, hop aroma is not as strong as I would have expected, nor is the hop flavour. The flavour is instead sweet caramel malt with a light hop balance. finish is strong and warm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Boutip (5737) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 29, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2005 Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one. Thanks to Beerslayer for that one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
valejo (81) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAR 25, 2005
Wow! Somebody stop me (from drinking more than two of these--900 calories a bottle!). Yeah, this beer is crazy. Super sweet, kinda fruity. ENJOY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - MAR 24, 2005
nice deep golden color, with an inviting hop aroma. intense hop flavor is balanced a strong sweet malt backbone. Alcohol is fairly well hidden for 21%, but is definitely noticaable as it warms. not an everyday beer, but enjoyable as a sipper.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2005
This beer simply encourages my love for Dogfish Head on several levels. It was on tap when I got to the brewpub in Rehoboth, a lovely surprise as seldom as Iím told that happens. After a snifter of it, that lasted me a good 45 minutes of sipping, I was amazed at how well hidden the huge alcohol content was hidden, even as it warmed considerably. The hops profile is almost exactly the same as 90 minute, but more in your face. The sweetness is strong enough to balance all 120 of the IBUs, though. Itís an incredibly balanced beer even as huge as it is. I was more than impressed. The next day, my friends and I ventured up to Milton to the brewery for the tour and to pick up a case of 120 that James and I had reserved. Upon getting there we were given a rather torn up looking case of 120. When we opened the case back here in NC, we noticed that the bottles didnít have the yellow warning caps that DFH has started putting on their big beers. I called the brewery to enquire and it turns out that they had sold the case weíd reserved and instead of telling us, had taken a 2003 vintage case out of Samís personal collection to replace it. Quite a score and quite a brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
marcus (8801) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 19, 2005
I was pretty skeptical about this one, but decided to see what all the hype was about. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a fairly nice brew. The alcohol was not very noticeable in the flavor but, based on my extensive drinking experience, I can verify the 20+% content (I got a little dizzy). The aroma was inviting, and the flavor was a bit syrupy, but tasty. The best time to consume this beer is just before bedtime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nicplemel (19) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 16, 2005
Interesting... very interesting. The aroma on this I thought was great, right when the cap was poped I was overwhelmed, once it was in the glass it was, of course, all that much more dominate. It had a good golden/bronze color but a sort of filmyness to it with no real head to spear of. The flavor was good but not quite an IPA in the classic sense. This was so thick and syrupy that sweet taste over powered the bitterness that I think should be present, you never really have a chance to forget about the ABV either because it’s always breathing through you. The 90 min. is better, but this is an entertaining brew to drink on rare occasions (maybe more often if it were cheaper).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 14, 2005
hoppy sweet and syrupy. splendidly golden and as delicious an offer that you will find from dogfish. the 90 minute is better though.