overall

RATINGS: 2322   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 12, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2004 Clear amber body with ample carbonation. Nice looking lacing. Foamy white head that doesn't amount to much. Alcoholic peach aroma with what I think is a hop burn. Both the aroma and flavor remind me of their Raison d'Extra - I imagine two 20% ABV beers would use similar yeasts. The flavor is a pretty consistent mixture of sweet peachiness, bitter hops and alcohol. Finishes with hop notes and a warm alcohol burn. I honestly can't detect all those hops over the sweet syrupy backbone. An interesting beer, but I'd rather have a super hopped beer that exhibits the hops rather than one that tries to balance the hops with overdone sweetness. I know they're there, I can taste the hops on my lips after sipping, but every inch of them is covered in peachy syrup.

I'd like to quote from <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/ShowBeer review: "A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out."

Update 3/3/2004 - Much better when drank at room temperature. The alcohol in the flavor still makes me pause, but it's much more enjoyable now, and the hops are more evident about the (still excessive) sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 14/20
CapFlu (4459) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 11, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2004 (Bottle) Poura a medium, foamy, white head and a clear, uncarbonated orange-amber body. Nose of well... hops. Whoa! Whoa! Whooooaaa! Tame d'em hops boys. So syrupy sweet, hops that give you a headache. This is hops genecide - so many sacrificed! Fruity sweetness. Alcohol is well hidden. Finish is more sweet though there is a tart, dry hoppiness that I will have nightmares of. A strange beauty...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dorwart (2359) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2004
Fought to get a decent head on this "beer". Minimal carbonation. Great aroma dominated by hops and oranges. Color is a medium orange/amber. Wow big alcohol kick but not a dominating hops presence in the flavor. Quite thick and syrupy with a big amount of malt to balance the hops. Little bitterness in the finish. Burns as it goes down and warms very nicely. Where are the hops? With all the bragging going on I expected this to be stronger and hoppier than the Stone Ruination IPA which puts this to shame. I would not even consider this an IPA. More like a barleywine without the complexity. A good beer for sipping to warm you up. For the price, not a beer that I would buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - FEB 10, 2004
Alcohol hardly apparent in taste but you can feel it. Little/ No head with little lacing. Golden color. Very dry taste which compliments a hops explosion. Wasn't was hoppy as I thought it would be though. I prefer the 90.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 8, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2008 Pours a golden hue with a nice thick white head with nice lacing. Smells of yeast, bananas and sugar/dough. The flavor is something completely different. Like others have stated, this is almost like a barley wine. The flavor is loaded with sugar to cover up the alcohol content. Very drinkable, and would seem to age very well. Flavors of raisins, honey, butter and even more sugar. Very thick on the palate without much bite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WABeerChick (25) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 7, 2004
Ummm...wow. This one was tossed into the mix at a barley wine tasting. Really great color. Nice aroma. Like no IPA or barley wine I have ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 7, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2005 Orange-amber color, hoppy aroma but not monstorus like I expected. Have rerated this because I have deveopled a great respect for whats going on here. So far back in the pile noone will ever read this, but I am upping my rating. Still to expensive, bit I would buy it again

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hophead1962 (11) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 6, 2004
The guys at Dogfish Head are crazy. This beer rocks. I am a hophead but everyone should at least try this beer. You may need to split it due to its alcohol content, but it is worth it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
small whit had, dense and tight. slow rising bubbles, copius in quantity, very tiny in size. bautiful lace. Alcohol in the nose, with sweet fruity hops and some stale malts, hay and musty maltiness. nice full body, but intensely "stale" to me. residual fruity hop resins. dry toasty malt,sweet and tasty. For 21%, the flavor and full smooth body cover real well. an interesting experience

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dickinsonbeer (5077) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 29, 2004
Pours a nice orange/light amber with a slight head which fades fast but leaves decent lacing. Aroma is strongly hopped but not as much as other imperial IPA's. There are also hints of alcohol and sweet caramel malt in the aroma as well. Flavor is of lots of malt blanaced by lots of bitterness. Alcohol increases as it warms. Full bodied with a heavy resiny residue left in the back of my mouth. Overall this is a great experimental beer, with an abundance of alcohol which is hidden quite well.