overall

RATINGS: 2320   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 4, 2003
Deep golden color, I was getting butterscotch and caramel in the nose, hops not detected very well. Very smooth, with a buttery hop taste. Almost burns the pipes going down although the alcohol taste is not apparent. Finish is burnt hoppy. Very unique and really not what I had expected. My buddy had to go to Kentucky for these from NE Ohio. Thanks!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - OCT 31, 2003
aroma is sweet and of pine needles. pours a deep golden color with a small white head that disappears quickly. flavor is very sweet and of pine needles. its bitter but the bitterness is not over whealming. alcohol is very warming and burns the back of my throat a little. like the world wide stout this is an insane over the top beer. however i enjoyed the wws more probably because i like the style better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 27, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2003 Is this beer? I don't know about that. But it is really good to share among many people. It tastes so sweet and astringent in the mouth, but I rather enjoyed it. Never felt that I could finish a whole bottle of this. As a sip tho, it was quite delicious and very strong tasting. Drinkable, but very sticky and sweet feeling with a warm feeling all the way down. Not very alcoholy tasting for 20 percent. Hides it well. Drinkable at least, something I heard is impossible with the WWS.

Hildigöltur (5104) - Kĝbenhavn, DENMARK - OCT 25, 2003
I and MartinKubert shared a bottle with Chuck Norris and some other guy at the GBBF 2003. Very sweet and full bodied.I was very surprised by this one. It doesn't taste or smell hoppy at all, even though it's 120 IBU's! The sweetness from the alcohol is in total control here. Still very tasty and interesting, just not what I thought it would be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 25, 2003
UPDATED: APR 20, 2004 Orange colored with a lathering whitish head...subtly spicy hop aromas..flavors of alcohol, sweet orange ribbon candy, spicy pine needles...This is a BIG spicy alcoholic beer that i had absolutely no clue of the abv when i drank..interesting..however, i think the sugary sweetness and alcohol masks the hop flavors a little too much...but now knowing that its 20%, im not sure its ok to complain anymore.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
document (36) - USA - OCT 25, 2003
Wow. This is a very sweet beer. I'm actually quite disappointed: having not read here and thus not quite knowing what to expect, I thought I'd be getting more hop than the 90 minute and 60 minute IPAs from dogfish head. Instead, it's a bottle of hop-spiced karo syrup. Nearly zero hop bitterness remains after the sugary assault. What points this beer gets for overall impression, it gets for its great ability to hide 20% alcohol. I've had 8% brews that tasted more strongly of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
haddon90 (1423) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 22, 2003
After reading all of the posts, I poured about 1/4 of the bottle just so I could rate it. Nice clear copper color with a non-lacing head. Not as much of an aroma as I expected. The flavor is very complex! You can taste the alcohol but it's smooth. Fruit/floral in the flavor. Strong hops rolls off the tongue. A very enjoyable beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
omhper (19185) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - OCT 22, 2003
Bottled. Pours thick with amber colour. Appley, cutric nose. Extremely sweet, layers of syrup and sugar covers the hop and malt flavours completely and with it all the finer details. Interesting on paper, but doesn't work in reality. At least not for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - OCT 22, 2003
Let's see here...I don't have much to say about this one. It pours a light copper color. Aroma is lightly hoppy (like SNPA) with the alcohol coming through when it warms. Flavor is very sweet with a fresh hop presence. This isn't very big or over the top as I was expecting, very straight forward. The thing that gets me it the ABV. They hide this alcohol like jenna jamison hides the....oh, nevermind.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2003 Pours a nice amber color not much head on mine. Hop and fruit aromas are the most prevelant, some spices back that up. Very sweet flavors of malt and hops. Not too much alcohol in the flavor, thought I can feel it more on the way down and in my belly. While a good beer, one thing I have to say, as a hop head, this is not the holy grail.