overall

RATINGS: 2325   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
document (36) - USA - OCT 25, 2003
Wow. This is a very sweet beer. I'm actually quite disappointed: having not read here and thus not quite knowing what to expect, I thought I'd be getting more hop than the 90 minute and 60 minute IPAs from dogfish head. Instead, it's a bottle of hop-spiced karo syrup. Nearly zero hop bitterness remains after the sugary assault. What points this beer gets for overall impression, it gets for its great ability to hide 20% alcohol. I've had 8% brews that tasted more strongly of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
haddon90 (1429) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 22, 2003
After reading all of the posts, I poured about 1/4 of the bottle just so I could rate it. Nice clear copper color with a non-lacing head. Not as much of an aroma as I expected. The flavor is very complex! You can taste the alcohol but it's smooth. Fruit/floral in the flavor. Strong hops rolls off the tongue. A very enjoyable beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
omhper (19192) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - OCT 22, 2003
Bottled. Pours thick with amber colour. Appley, cutric nose. Extremely sweet, layers of syrup and sugar covers the hop and malt flavours completely and with it all the finer details. Interesting on paper, but doesn't work in reality. At least not for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - OCT 22, 2003
Let's see here...I don't have much to say about this one. It pours a light copper color. Aroma is lightly hoppy (like SNPA) with the alcohol coming through when it warms. Flavor is very sweet with a fresh hop presence. This isn't very big or over the top as I was expecting, very straight forward. The thing that gets me it the ABV. They hide this alcohol like jenna jamison hides the....oh, nevermind.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2003 Pours a nice amber color not much head on mine. Hop and fruit aromas are the most prevelant, some spices back that up. Very sweet flavors of malt and hops. Not too much alcohol in the flavor, thought I can feel it more on the way down and in my belly. While a good beer, one thing I have to say, as a hop head, this is not the holy grail.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 13, 2003
This beer makes you say, we're not worthy, but a little to extreme and over the top. The pour is a light brown color with a nice big head. The hops in the aroma are overpowering. The taste is incredible though, slightly over the top with a malty buttery taste coming across first with a stinging hoppy alchohol bite in the aftertaste. A very rich and full mouthfeel that is very sweet and sticky. Extremely enjoyable but just make sure that you eat first and share this one with a friend, it is too good to be drank alone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (3035) - Georgia, USA - OCT 13, 2003
Calling this an I.P.A. is ridiculous. Everything about the flavor says barleywine. It has that characteristic buttery fruit aroma common in barleywines and it was surprisingly not hoppy given the name. Sweet and alcoholic and definitely best in small doses. It was odd to look at it next to the 60 and 90 Minute. The 60 was by far the palest but the 90 seemed just a hair darker than the 120 and had a better head.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 12, 2003
My 1200th rating, so maybe I should drink 10 of these? Have to thank Tom for bringing some back from KY for Rockinout and myself. Aroma was awesome - floral, hops and sweet malts - only the alcohol could keep it from being perfect. Appearance was glowing golden and mostly clear - no head, and lacing was nice, but as expected, clear like jellyfish. Palate is unbelievably thick - almost syrupy like a liquer, but eventually reminded me more of brandy. Taste was pine and grapefruit hops, but actually the sweet sticky malts took precedence with the hop/alcohol combination providing bee stings of pleasure along the sides of the tongue. After the swallow, it was all alcohol breath, as if I just did a shot of "hop schnapps". As it warmed it gained a very woody flavor and aftertaste. It was tempting to drink this too fast, but in the end, this is a 2 hour 12oz bottle, complex and enjoyable from start to finish. Will aging it change it? we'll see, I've got some set aside.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 10, 2003
Almost copper, amber color. Off-white head and lacing. Lazy bubbles float to the surface. Very, very piney, the smell is great. First hit with major bitterness. But, mellows wonderfully on the swallow. Alcohol is present but masked (unbelievably so). Never had a beer like this but really enjoyed it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - OCT 9, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2003 For me this would be more of a barley wine. Its a very strong beer. High in alcohol but not noticable in the taste. Very hoppy. Dark orange in color. Very good beer and its pleasant to drink. Very good beer to drink in the winter. Its will really warm you up.