overall

RATINGS: 2359   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Been waiting to try this one for a long time. Finally found it in my area. Pours a golden color with very little head, but adequate amount of carbonation and it doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sweet and strong with hops. The alcohol and a strangely strong aroma also come from the beer. The taste is far from what I was expecting. It starts out extremely sweet/tart then smoothes out and leaves the taste of many fruits (and alcohol) in your mouth. The flavor is incredibly complex and enjoyable after you become accustomed to it. For a 20% abv, they hide the percentage really well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - DEC 11, 2003
I fear with aging this would only get even sweeter, not more mellow. Grapefruit and some floral hop aromas, in great abundance. Hi alch burn. Syrupy and sweet - hop liquer, someone said? Sure but I think there's some sweetish malt too. Hard to tell. What an experience! Thanks to BHB one last time!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
crazyvin (1943) - New York, USA - DEC 10, 2003
Great amber color too it and strong hoppy aroma. I was quite disappointed in the flavor. I found the sweet candy like inital taste to be too overpowering. The hops where present, but was covered the intial sweetness. A good beer too age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IFearNoBeer (15) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - DEC 9, 2003
Not like any IPA I've ever had. Way too sweet and syrupy. I couldn't taste much of the hoppiness it promised. I'll stick with DFH's 90 minute IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
leitrim65 (402) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Eccentric is how I'd describe this beer. The amber maple syrup like color pours with a small off white head. The aroma is pure sugar, hops and alcohol. The flavors are of mollasses, with tones of hops and a slight hint of alcohol. Wow! The alcohol packs a punch. I won't be buying six packs of this one anytime soon. Especially at the prices it sells for locally. But, overall this beer is a nice experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 7, 2003
strong alcohol and earthy hop aroma, reddish orange with nice lace, intensely sticky and alcoholic, candy like mouthfeel, hints of earthy herbal hops and a grapefruity finish, alcohol dominates and masks the hoppiness, needs better balance, a few years in a cellar would help

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Bottle pours a nice amber color with a nice creamy head and lots of lace. The aroma is quite hoppy. The flavor is like a liquid Sweet Tart with alcohol. I will not need any candy for at least a year after this. I was expecting more of a hop thing going on, but this really is more of a Barley Wine on acid. Having said all that, it is really quite balanced in its own whacked out sort of way. The palate is very syrupy. Overall, this one is shocking to say the least. But that is the point of this one. I'm just concerned that the other five that I ordered and are in the fridge will conspire against me. These little guys are 12 oz assassins.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 4, 2003
I am a bit relieved to look this up and see that people aren't giving it 4+ because it seems like I'm always the spoke in everybody's overexcited wheel. This was good, not as good as the 90 minute though. A big reason for that is the fact that this gigantic hop infused monster isn't very hoppy...bizarre huh? There is quite a bit of hops in the nose, but the body is all malt and alchohol. Although I must say this, for being such it is pretty damn good nonetheless - HUGE barley wine-esque sweet malt and although the alchohol is impossible to ignore, it ADDS to the palate in its own burning sensation sort of way. I know they had to pump tons of ingredients in those kettles to come up with this one, but I still don't think it's worth $8.99/12oz bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 4, 2003
this is gonna hurt... IBU's and alcohol. Thats the first impression. And the second and third ones. Despite that, it has a very good flavor, it's just hard to find the forest through the trees. Way too extreme to drink normally, but a must have at least once :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - DEC 2, 2003
Color is maple syrup with a thin slightly off white head. Nose is hops and sweetness, not to mention a little alcohol! Flavor is very peculiar, and the alcohol is surprisingly light. There is some definite sweetness here, but I'm not sure how else to describe it, really. I like it, but I can see how this might be a "love it, hate it" beer.