overall

RATINGS: 4245   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 7, 2005
This rates very close to top of my list on robust IPAís. What a wonderful aroma, thick head, lovely amber/copper body, and sweetish bitter joy to drink. I savored these one per evening during a recent vacation. Mmmmm.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - SEP 6, 2005
Great full bodied pale, with a hearty mouthfeel, and a great malt profile which blends seemlessly into a powerful hop finish. Smooth and delicious. Can easily serve as a meal.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gatorbeer (148) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA - SEP 5, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2005 Complex. Strong barley and hops flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Complex and flavorful. Strong alcoholic content.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dyetube (1182) - McKinney, Texas, USA - SEP 3, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2007 This beer made me love the ipaís. not noticeable bite like I was used to in an ipa. nice amber color floral hop aroma and clean taste! I believe this beer is one of the best beers brewed in America today (and even though I love hoppy beers I am still a malt guy at heart and always will be!)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 2, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2005 My first Double IPA. Deep honey color, thin, quickly-receding tan head. Very nice, sweet aroma of apricot (perhaps coupled with some other fruit). You can almost feel the bitterness like fine bubbles on the palate. Itís sharp, citrusy, but then recedes into the malts, but then you get the hops all over again. Throughout, this beer has some very nice fruity notes of apricot, peach and citrus. Delicious! You get a little bit of the alcohol towards the end, and some in the aroma, but nothing overpowering. This might have to become my new favorite beer style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
possumjc (149) - Charleston - Mt Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - SEP 2, 2005
12 oz bottle. Pours a nice amber color with a creamy head. Citrus and pine in the aroma. Very hoppy flavor. This one has a syrupy mouth feel. Probably my favorite IPA. Thankfully we can get big beers in NC now!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
YK23 (465) - Haifa, ISRAEL - AUG 30, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2006 Cask at GBBF 05í, wow!, this is my first imperial IPA, and itís something else, extreamly complex, hoppy is an understatment, itís robust and quite bitter, every sip was something else, woody, piney, cirtusy, flowery, spicy, some apples, all of this is backed and balanced very well by a strong malty sweet backbone, very flavorfull, amazing beer.

SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2005
Tap. Copper/bronze. Billowing, off white head. Big grapefruit/pine hops in the aroma. Same flavor-some sweetness with nice malt support. Syrupy medium body, perfect carbonation level. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snookboy (9) - Cape Coral, Florida, USA - AUG 28, 2005 does not count
strong beer, very personable and not for the light hearted beer drinkers who are used to corona and other water downed beers, nice aroma and color and good after taste considering how strong it is initially.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KUEric (886) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 28, 2005
Bottle: I was suprised by how sweet this beer was. I had some strong malt flavors for a double IPA I felt like. It looked very nice with an darker golden color and a good sized head. I felt like there wasnít a ton of hops in this beer for a double, but they were definitly there in the aroma. There was also some citrus flavors. I agree while you can tell there are a bunch of hops, it is quite suprisingly balanced and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to beerbeast!