overall

RATINGS: 4255   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

weisinator (67) - USA - SEP 15, 2005
I like hops. I didnít realize just how much I liked hops until I tried this. OMFG, this is quite possibly the BEST beer I have EVER had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - SEP 13, 2005
Candy like hop aroma with little to no head. Hazy red-brown appearance. Finally, NC gets an imperial IPA. This has a diffent flavor from 60 min, the hops are more chewy rounding out the bite in the finish. Damn I could drink this all day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - SEP 13, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2007 Got this bottle while visiting relatives in Michigan, and have been looking forward to trying it finally. Pours a golden color with a decent head that slowly fades away to a small cap with some pretty decent lacing. Smells is citrus, pine, hops and malt. Not as overwhelming as I expected. This is my first double IPA, and I was expecting a stronger assault on the nose. Taste is initially citrus and hops, but finishes with a nice malt sweetness to it. Itís smoother and has a lot more balance than I was expecting. I find that I have to force myself to not drink this to quickly. I havenít had very many DFH beers, but this is my favorite one thus far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - SEP 11, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2005 Draught at Tylerís in Durham, NC. Hazy amber color with thin head that laced the glass. Citrusy hop nose and flavor. Caramel malt aroma is also prominent. You can also taste the malt and alcohol in this strong beer. Similar to Rogue I2PA, but much more malty/sweet. Smooth mouth feel, almost heavy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
theacelatrain (262) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 11, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2005 Bottle. Pours copper color, bright and deep, with a dense, lasting beige head. Citrus and hops dominate the aroma, with especially fruity and flowery orange and peach notes. Sweet flavor up front, fruity with some light honey, but big, dry hoppiness at the finish. The sweetness doesnít linger, keeping it from tiring by the end of the bottle. Alcohol is also well hidden. The barley is very present, giving it a full, chewy feel, but creamy at the same time. Absolutely delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tobias (202) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - SEP 11, 2005
12 oz bottle: the pour is the color of shinny new copper. withe a small beige head. the aroma is of citrusy hops, flowers, and sweet caramel/malt. possible peachy apricot hints. the flavor is of sweet malt/caramel/honey with alot of citrus fruits. peachy. towards the end a piney bitterness pokes through to tie it all together. the mouth feel is nice and full. man i love this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jhliesen (738) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - SEP 11, 2005
12 Bottle-Lovely hoppy aroma, poured a nice rich amber color with a small head. I have to admit that the beer a too much oily feel to the palate. The beer tasted much better as the glass went along. The high alcohol content wasnít noticeable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UNCCTF (477) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Bottled. Hazy amber body with a moderate off-white head. Aroma dominated by citrus and hop. The flavor started off malty and full but then turned into a walloping hoppy finish. This is one of the best beers Iíve ever had. Wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Aroma is sweet and sharp; lots of hops. Dark orange body with a medium head. Fruity nose with a nice finish. Lots of hops which cover up the alcohol VERY well. This beer will put me under the table and I will not even know what happened.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slabonator (29) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 7, 2005
Brilliant orange haze in my glass with a nice head - good carbonation. Malty sweet aroma with some fruitiness and noticeable alcohol. You know this is going to be BIG. Good balance in the flavor - it is sweet with some heat to it then it dries out toward the end with a bitterness that hangs on.