overall

RATINGS: 4409   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
screigh (510) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 3, 2006
Poured the typical orange/copper color for the style. Very slight white head but did manage some lacing. A nice hop aroma with a hint of orange in it. Flavor is very hoppy, grapefruit and some bittering finish. This is much better than I remember the first time trying this beer. The only complaint I might have is a lack of malt balance. Alcohol is well hidden. I was suprised it was 9%. Great beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NewCastle1 (59) - Indiana, USA - MAR 3, 2006
Wow, for my first IPA, this is good stuff. Bottle. Very citrusy aroma. Seems to be a hint of yeast or bread smell in there as well. Pours a nice golden brown color. Rich and heavy are 2 words that come to mind. Alot thicker on the palate then I expected. Nice sitrus flavoring to it. I cannot pick out alot of flavors at this point. Still learning alot about beer flavors. Finishes rather nicley. Just a hint of bitterness at the end of this beer. All in all, I think I have found another style of beer that I really enjoy. Cnaít wait to try some more IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
henry3r (586) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - MAR 2, 2006
The bottle poured a sparkling clear light amber beverage with an average sized off-white head that was mostly diminishing and left good lacing on the glass. The aroma was, as it is supposed to be, dominated by hops. There was a moderate to heavy presence of grass with notes of grapefruit in the background. In addition, I was just able to detect a hint of saddle leather hiding in the background. The body was medium to full with soft carbonation and a creamy texture. Initially, the flavor was lightly sweet. As it matured into a long finish, it changed to a moderate bitterness with slight astringency and a nice alcohol warmth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwedin (249) - Happy Valley, Oregon, USA - FEB 28, 2006
Awesome IPA. Beautiful pour. Lasting white head, a little lace, sweet hop aroma. Mild sweetness at once overcome with a very strong but smooth bitterness that finishes with you craving more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
schoolofspool (24) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2006
UPDATED: APR 8, 2006 [12 oz bottle] Poured a orange/amber hue with a tight frothy lasting head. Nose is herbaceous, very resiny, with a plenty of fruit and malt in the background. An onslaught of hops battles it out with the malt sweetness. The succulent oily hops take over which, while very strong, arenít overly bitter. Alcohol stays hidden very nicely without being nonexistant. medium bodied with an slick oily texture and a pleasant CO2 tingle. Long bitter finish with just enough caramel malts to get you through. Although it definately leans on its hops character itís very well behaved. My beer list isnít long, but this is definately in my top ten and I always get to the end of my 4-pack wishing I purchased more! Canít wait to dive deeper into the world of IPAs after this promising start. 7/3/8/4/18=4.0

Re-rate: I know itís only been a month since I rated but Iíve compared quite a few brews to the 90 minute and nothing captures the essence of this stuff. Some bring a well balanced package, and some cram in the hops until oil bleeds from the bottle, but Dogfish walks the line and delivers on some unthought of level. Four of these are going to be subjected to various degrees of aging and I canít wait to see what happens when the edgy hops are attenuated a bit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewer73 (8) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 27, 2006 does not count
One of the very best 2IPAís Iíve had, courtesy of COLES on Elmwood, in bottleís. Went down tooo smooth/easy, drank them all night, donít remember anything else.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Apellonious (53) - USA - FEB 26, 2006
Pours orange with a thin head. Hoppy citrus aroma with a slight hint of alcohol. If you like hops, this is your beer. Very crisp, you can feel the carbo on the roof of your mouth on the intital swigs. But is also has some smoothness to it, which becomes more apparent as the beer warms. The heavy alcohol content is well masked. Like most of Dogheadís beer, definitely reccommended.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bgburdman9 (859) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - FEB 25, 2006
12 oz bottle. Poured a copperish rusty color but not all that impressive of a looking beer. The very first smell was ridiculous and it only got better from there. I immediately had to have all my roomates try this beer. The alcohol is very well masked in this beer. As an amateur in drinking craft beer, this is definitely one of the best I have had yet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NJBeerman013 (1052) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Draft - Dark... so dark and delicious. Good amount of hop and well balanced with malts. Not as big as I was expecting, but good flavor. Aroma was fairly hoppy and spicy, with a grassy undertone. Drinkable, not to much bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JugOPunch (83) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottled 12/28/05: This beer pours a very unimpressive clear rusty brown. Not much in the way of aroma especially given the style and hop character. A mostly malty aroma with subdued hop scent. Not neccesarily bad just very unexpected. The hop character comes out more in the flavor but not as big as I like. It is well balanced and deep with the fruity malts but not particularly bright. The alchohol is well hidden and the body is full and creamy which is probably the best attribute of this imperial. It is very drinkable, which is always important, but for me hardly the best of the lot.