overall

RATINGS: 4425   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 19, 2006
pretty good, nice hops, not too my style, I do enjoy ipas, but this ones got a weird after taste to it.

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 18, 2006
Pours a dark copper color. Little bit of head. Roasty barley aroma with a hint of hoppiness and smokiness. Well balanced beer with citrus bite, rounded off with sweet malt. Overall a really good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - FEB 17, 2006
Bottle, pours a clear ambar color with medium but lasting head. The first time i tried this was a long time ago, and it was to much for me. now that i am 21, my taste is much more refined, i like this beer much better. pungent, floral hoppy aroma, seductive. i’m not a huge fan of 2ipa’s but i really liked the flavor here. very hoppy, with a perfect balance of malts, for the style. earthy, floral flavors. easy to drink but a beer thats good to drink slow and savor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
divepatch (10) - USA - FEB 17, 2006
Pours to a wonderful color of amber with a small head. Great for an IPA, but unfortunately those are not my style. If found it to have an over abundance of hops with very little other flavour. The aftertaste is hard to disperse and not of the best flavour. But again, good for an IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kseecs16 (1213) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 16, 2006
Pours a pristinely clear gold-orange hue with tons of bubbles racing to up to the thin creamy offwhite head. The bubbles continue throughout the beers life maintaing a nice head that leaves some considerable lacing. A very pretty beer the aroma is sweet but hoppy, but not exceptionally strong. In the mouth it is smooth but not thin, and a sweet maltiness to open is followed by the dominating hop bitterness that lingers in the mouth, for me just a little to aggressively. If not for the slight over tartness I would say this was exceptional, but it is definitely very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
imzugzug (103) - Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2006
UPDATED: APR 18, 2006 Nice clear amber with a slight head. Aroma is fruit, fruit, fruit, alcohol. Flavor is outstanding. Hops are more than just a little present but not at all bitter. Just a wonderfully balanced beer leaving a sweet coating in the mouth. DFH never disappoints! ***rerated** Just had the pleasure of this one thru Randal the Enamel Animal at DFH Brewery n Eats. Wow, who would have thought you could improve on such greatness. Hoppy to the 9th degree without any hint of bitterness. Super citrusy and slightly floral in flavor. This is just right {think 3 bears here}. 60 min, just not enough...120 min a little too much...90 min, JUST RIGHT!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFowler (31) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - FEB 15, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2013 Hip hipity hop don?t stop the hops....WOW. Just when I thought it couldnt get any hopier Dogfish Head dropped the hops on me. At 9% alc. by vol. its not for the meek. Well balanced. Full flavored. This is where its at. This is my first Double Imperial India and from the looks of it I might have to change my favorite Beer. Now I?m not going out on a limb here and saying I like this better than Stone IPA, but its a close second. Once I?m able to get some more of the top rated double IMP IPA?s I think I will be able to make a more educated guess. Until then happy hopping my friends....UPDATE this blows Stone IPA out of the water, BUT they are in two different classes so I don?t know ..... please someone school me on the differences of the two types of IPA?s

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - FEB 13, 2006
UPDATED: APR 11, 2006 Really good head, with light golden brown color and some little bubbles. Immediately the fruit permiated the room. Pineapple, apricot, malt, hops, bubblegum, in that order. The mouthfeel was refreshing and a little slippery. the flavor is immense, very sweet, very fruity/floral hoppy. The alcohol is undetectable. A worthy brew. 4-11-06 Redrink, after further examination, there’s a bit more going on in both the aroma and the flavor. Granted, this is after a couple months of tasting beers/aging. The light caramel malts are much more obvious in the nose, almost syrupy. Further, the flavors are much more complex. I’m detecting notes of pine more than anything else, though the same supporting cast I pegged down last time is there, a point extra on aroma, flavor and overall impression, I love this beer more than before.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - FEB 13, 2006
The aroma and palate are the best parts of this one. Smells like conversation hearts. Fruity, sweet. Great head. Looked like a lot of carbonation but couldnt tell on the palate, it was smooth and creamy. Taste is simple, fruity, hoppy, malty. Can barely taste the alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
outerupt (133) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2006
Poured from a 12oz. bottle. The head is dish soapy, thinish, but persistent with tight lacing on the glass. The colour is a loveley amber-red and somewhat syrupy. Fantastic nose of grapefruit, mango, and strawberry, with an herbal overtone hinting at marijuana. The hops are a bit soft on bitterness and are well balanced with a slight corn syrup sweetness. One of the most distinctive beers of the style.