overall

RATINGS: 4185   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
spikee (96) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 6, 2005
Strong aroma of pine and gin. Beautiful golden, copper pour with little head. Flavors of pine, strong citrus, and hops. Absolutely delicious overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2005
Crystal clear. Dark golden to light amber. Big, foamy, off white, everlasting head. Very tiny bubbles from bottom to top. I get some aroma that I just don’t have the words for. Some citrus. Most beer has the citrus though. I can say that the aroma is very robust. Its like nothing like I’ve ever smelt. Its a good thing. Malty Malty Malty balances the Hoppy Hoppy Hoppy very well. A bit more alcohol than I would like to taste. Very full bodied. Not a lot of bubbles rolling over the tounge. Pretty good. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these and falling on my face when I get up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7086) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Pours a cloudy orangish-amber color with a moderate white head that lingers very well. Aroma is very complex, with pine and various citrus hops dominating. There was also some alcohol present, which is to be expected. This beer attacks the taste buds with its wonderful hoppiness. Flavor is surprisingly well-balanced with the beer’s malt and alcohol. Absolutely fantastic! This beer get better as it approves to about 45-50 degrees. Highly recommended!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 3, 2005
I am a fan of Dogfish from wayback, and this is one of their finest regular beers. It pours a surprisingly amber color for an IPA with a good head that subsides slowly, perhaps shortened by the 9% alcohol level. The aroma is extremely complex, with hops, hops and hops dominating. The only drawback I have with this beer is the residual sweetness I detect in the mouthfeel and the finish. A fine blend of aromas combining citrus and herbs with a touch of caramel. Well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mephisto (1268) - TAIWAN - MAY 3, 2005
amber color w/ very little head. full bodied, bitter aftertaste. very hoppy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
pale amber color, nice long lasting head. beautiful, hoppy aroma. goes down smooth, with a hint of a grapefruity flavor. overall, an excellent entry for dogfish head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
notwoohoo (109) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 29, 2005
I absolutely love this beer. Much better than both the 60m IPA and the 120m. Increidble hop aroma and taste with a nice malt backbone to keep it balanced. One of my favorite brews. Citrus hops as well as nice mouthfeel

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - APR 29, 2005
Dogfish has a winner with this beer. It has a nice clear yellow color, a good bitter finish with a distinct grapefruit taste. It’s a lovely beer and one that I’ll be looking for frequently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FoolishMortal (989) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 28, 2005
Thanks to The_Beer_God for this particular bottle. Pours an yellow gold color. Generous white head with excellent lingering. Very spicy, slightly floral hop aroma. Floral nose very quickly becomes malt dominated. Sweet maltiness balanced by noticable alcohol heat and bite. In the finish, the hops return again with a slight bitterness and a pleasant citrusy mouthcoat. This citrus helps dampen the lingering alcohol character. Suprisingly light bodied for such a big beer, with a more balanced mouthfeel than I anticipated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2005
#200 bottle from Lou18. I’ve never been a hop head & never expected to become one. then Lou sends me this gem. an amber yellow color with a moderate foam head. strong hop-floral aroma but after the first taste, the rich maltiness rounds out the flavors. I’ll have to get more of this one! a real winner