overall

RATINGS: 4198   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - APR 29, 2005
Dogfish has a winner with this beer. It has a nice clear yellow color, a good bitter finish with a distinct grapefruit taste. Itís a lovely beer and one that Iíll be looking for frequently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 28, 2005
Thanks to The_Beer_God for this particular bottle. Pours an yellow gold color. Generous white head with excellent lingering. Very spicy, slightly floral hop aroma. Floral nose very quickly becomes malt dominated. Sweet maltiness balanced by noticable alcohol heat and bite. In the finish, the hops return again with a slight bitterness and a pleasant citrusy mouthcoat. This citrus helps dampen the lingering alcohol character. Suprisingly light bodied for such a big beer, with a more balanced mouthfeel than I anticipated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2005
#200 bottle from Lou18. Iíve never been a hop head & never expected to become one. then Lou sends me this gem. an amber yellow color with a moderate foam head. strong hop-floral aroma but after the first taste, the rich maltiness rounds out the flavors. Iíll have to get more of this one! a real winner

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
carl4beer (522) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - APR 27, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2007 pours clear golden amber with little head. aroma of citrus and malt. Nice crisp hoppy mouthful that does not linger. A bit of caramel and smoothness with a little linger of sweetness. This is one of my staple year round brews... As far as double IPAs, it is not big overpowering hop experiance, but rather a perfectly balaced brew that can be enjoyed anytime...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
skisangelo (60) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - APR 26, 2005
Pours a bright amber color with a thin light beige head. Very light lacing. The aroma is heady hops, with a bit of citrus. I could drink this all night.. just might forget what happened due to the 9% alcohol.

WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - APR 23, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2005 Absolutely incredible aroma, floral and hoppy, with some hints of berry. Pours a coppery amber, with not much of a head to speak of. The flavor is thick and hoppy, with a nice hint of sweetness. One of my favorite IPAs of all time. My only complaint would be that it is perhaps too powerful to really enjoy more than one or two in a night. ReRate: I just have this on tap at Eli Cannonís, Middletown, CT. Randall made an appearance, and a Randallized 90 Min is fully worthy of the full 5 rating. tastes like fresh green delicious hops with an aroma straight from heaven. a freaking godsend of a beer. best of my life. holy cow.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ungstrup (29170) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - APR 23, 2005
[Cask at GBBF 2004] A hazy amber beer with no head. The aroma is grassy and hoppy, while the flavor is sweet with primary notes of alcohol as well as lighter notes of hops leading to a very dry end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BitchesBrew (714) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - APR 22, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2006 Very strong aromatic hop aroma... caramel color. Slick, oily mouthfeel. I used to think this beer was crazy, over-the-top hops, but after sampling many other IIPAs, this one seems a bit to syrupy and sweet for me. Still, itís a great beer- excellent on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - APR 18, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2006 Had four pack of these the other night and enjoyed each one more than the last. Great tasting beer with an extreme hop taste. This is THE beer for hopheads without a doubt! Great flavor, wish I could drink it everyday. 3/6/06 Had on tap at the Alehouse in MD and I just wanted to add that this beer is unfathomably better on tap than in the bottle. Try it through the Randall too for a mind blowing experiance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - APR 15, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2006 Bottle. Bank error in my favor! I bought a single, and when I brought it to the checkout, they rang it up as a 60 Minute IPA. I got 30 minutes for free!
Poured clear amber with a good head that left a good lace. Initial aroma warned of over the top hops. At that moment, I was convinced that death was imminent. I let it sit for a few moments, partly to let it settle, partly out of fear. Aroma became a bit woody, and caramelly as the hops retreated a bit. OK, first sip *cringing* Hmmm, itís pretty smooth. I mean, thereís a hop sting, but itís not overdone. Thereís also caramel and sweet malts, woodiness and some astringency. Thereís not a lot going on (as far as breadth goes), but what it lacks in breadth, it more than makes up for in depth. All present aspects are heavy. Lots of hops, but itís balanced by lots of malt, and thatís balanced by the combination of brandy and woodiness. It finishes dry and bitter, but not too much to make you cringe. This is much better than I was expecting Rerate. I had to bump this up a notch. After repeated samples, this is by far one of my favorites. It sits somewhere between IPA and barleywine.