overall

RATINGS: 4346   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kapital75 (6) - USA - OCT 31, 2005 does not count
maybe it was just me but after pouring this beer smelled like its namesake. thankfully, i was able to get past that. very flavorful and kicks like a mule!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pbjclimber (150) - Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2005
Poured an amber color that is not perfectly clear with a tan head. There is great head retention and very good lacing. There is a sweet taste to this beer along with the hop and slight malt flavor. It is almost a grapefruit sweetness with a medium bitter taste. I can see how people really like this beer, but it is not for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shanereid (75) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 25, 2005
I loved this IPA. I admit, IPAs are my favorite. But this hoppy IPA is unreal. Looks good, smells good, and taste so hoppy it will knock your socks off. Buy it now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Metalhead (632) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - OCT 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2006 Not sure if it was the dry hopping or what but this tasted like a cross between a IIpa and bad fish. It was a fresh batch and the fishiness subsided as it warmed but holy crap. COLD,this stuff blows. 2-28-06 Re rate. Having have a few more bottles something tells me I got a bad batch. Poured light gold with little head. Aroma of mild hops,light citrus and a hint of sweetness. ABV well masked. A bit watery in the mouthfeel for a beer this strong but thats a plus (or not)as it makes it easy to drink a few. Tastes pretty much like it smells.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PeterLikesBeer (104) - Berwyn Heights, Maryland, USA - OCT 21, 2005
Pours amaber with a small off white head. Aroma is piney and hoppy. The taste has a lot of hops but is balanced out very well by sweetness and bitterness. nice long bitter finish. Well done.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
miketrum (18) - NAUGATUCK, Connecticut, USA - OCT 19, 2005
a great great IPA. Had it on tap in a pint glass. Very hoppy but balanced. I am a hops freak and this did the trick.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
moody (12) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Wow!!! I canít knock this one for anything. One of the most drinkable beers Iíve ever had. Not as bitter as most IPAs. Little aftertaste. Goes down easier than Paris Hilton.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 11, 2005
This beer looks sexy in the glass. Pours a clear rich amber with a frothy white head that diminishes to a thin cap. Nose is piney with that strange dogfish malt smell. Palate is thick and lasting. Like drinking pineapple juice. This beer could be a little more bitter, but otherwise itís great. And Itíll do the trick quick without you realizing it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tmad (93) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - OCT 11, 2005
A golden amber color with a beige frothy head, aroma is sweet fruit. Wow this is a darn good beer, plenty of mouth watering hop flavor, with just the right amount of malt. A sweet taste similar to grapefruit, this is simply a great tasting brew if you enjoy IPAís.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
dogfishho (599) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2005
I am by no means an expert at describing specific flavors, but I will attempt it nonetheless. I had this on tap at a bar neer my home having never heard of it. It had an amber/golden mixture in its color with a thin head, though this could be due to ambiant conditions in the bar. I love IPAs as a group and this one is top shelf in the category. Spiced fruits come through when first sipped with that signature IPA hoppiness on the long finish. This beer got me interested in the rest of the excellent DFH line.