overall

RATINGS: 4121   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cdog (32) - Farmington, Michigan, USA - DEC 30, 2004
A good IPA but not my favorite. I got a little metal taste after every drink. Not a nasty metal but a lingering taste on the sides of my taste buds.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2004
This is easily one of the best IPAs available. This is a more accomplished IPA than the 120 minute, which probably suffered from overkill. The hops are strong, but remain balanced. The finish is strong, but clean, with a slightly lingering caramel flavour.

cfranz (261) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 28, 2004
While trying to smell this I got some up my nose. Sometimes I feel like a total moron. Hoppy New Year! Dogfish seem to know what they are doing. They could slap their label on a bottle of floor cleaner and I would probably taste it (and rate it a 4.1) Iím waiting for the 150 minute IPA (next logical progression).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Poures a very inviting amber/orange with a quickly thinning off white head. Sappy pine, hard candy sweet, thickish aroma. Very rich and chewy mouthfeel. Sticky sweet maltiness, fruity, toffee, almost rum-cake like. Although the alcohol is evident, it is still very smooth and easy drinking. This is easily one of my new favorite beers. Try it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Pours a beautiful deep gold. Thick white head thatís practically 1/4 the body. The aroma is suprisingly subdue - caramel being the main scent. This beer starts with a sweet chocolate/candy base. Then the hops literally jump off the tongue and tingle the roof of my mouth. Is this an IIPA or a stout? Good balance for ALOT of hop/malt activity. Is it too much though? The finish shows a bit of the 9% abv, but definitely not overbearing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - DEC 22, 2004
In the bottle. This was dark gold in color- not really amber at all. Aroma of tootsie roll candy. In fact, the dominant flavor was candy sweetness. So sweet in fact that you could not tell that there was any alcohol at all. Hops were a disappointment as I had expected some ultra-super-dooper-high hop bitterness. This was very underhopped in my opinion for a top-notch IPA. Could it be that Dogfish head gets my newest "Overrated" vote?

mds (2168) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 18, 2004
bottle. copper body with a medium sized white head. hoppy aroma is just phenomenal, also notes of citrus and caramel. WOW, this beer has great balance and is very easy drinking. A little bit of alcohol shows up but I wouldnít be able to tell that itís 9%. The guys at Dogfish have certainly done it with this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2004
12 oz. bottle. Pours a beautiful hazy golden color with decent off-white head. Minimal lacing. Aroma contains citrus notes....and sort of smells like rubbing alcohol. Not a very pleasant smell, in my opinion, but you can definitely smell the hops. Nice rich mouthfeel. Bitter, hoppy flavor; slight floral and citrusy notes. Overall, kind of overrated, in my opinion, but definitely not bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
amovie (1) - Holmdel, New Jersey, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
This is the best beer I can get where I live in NJ. It moves fast so its alwasy fresh.

JoeMcPhee (8216) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2006 Rerate: Orange-golden colour topped by a thick off-white head. Gorgeous grapefruit, orange, and pine hoppiness. Sweet maltiness, with a touch of brown sugar and toffee. More sweet apricot/papaya fruitiness as well. Flavour is also very hoppy tasting. Sweet caramel balancing the sweet fruity hops. Light resin and a beautiful citrus flavour. Some hints of alcohol toward the back that help thin the body a bit. Great beer. I underestimated it the first time around. Deep amber-orange colour with a very thin white lacing. Slightly cloudy. Rich caramel toffee malts balance off a huge load of pine, spice, and grapefruity hops. There is also a bright citrus hop aroma and some cookie dough in the malt profile. Flavour is quite well-balanced with just enough malty sweetness to balance the prominent hopping. Resiny and citrusy hop flavour with a nicely bitter finish. A good beer, but I think itís highly over-rated. 8/3/7/3/15