overall

RATINGS: 4111   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Great red pour with great hops. The taste starts great. You can taste the malts. The taste is like graitfruit and malts put together. The mouthfeel was kind of like hard liquor at times, but good. The finish was a little bitter. Really terrific though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Nice orange color with a lasting white head...good lacing. Excellent aroma of hops, fruit, and cotton candy. Great hop profile, hints of citrus and cloves. Hops were much more mild than expected...great tasting IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
xray (50) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - NOV 18, 2004
IPA’s are not one of my favorite styles of beer but this is the best of the bunch. DFH overdoes the hops without overdoing it. Dark orange hoppy color with a crazy head poured from the bottle. Nice balance of malt and hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - NOV 18, 2004
Relatively clear amber body with vibrant oranges and syrupy brown and honey colors. Head is loose, white and does not last long at all. Smell is hoppy with pine fragrances, as well as fruity melons and bananas. Mouth feel is cool and syrupy. Flavor comes with a wallop of dry vegetable/pine cone hops then gets sweeter with fruity papaya, pineapple and sweet melon. Aftertaste is that excellent, dry, biting hop flavor that you want from a good IPA coupled with some nice roasty nut flavors. Alcohol is definitely there too and is brutish for the otherwise refined high alcohol beverages by DFH. But still, its completely normal for a big IPA. You know, if I had been blindfolded in a room of 100 IPAs (heaven for most of you), I guarantee I could have found this beer and classified it as DFH, it just has that distinctiveness. Cheers, for drinking back to back 99-100 percentile beers by a fine brewer from my region.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OKBeer (1168) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - NOV 15, 2004
330 ml bottle at Smokeless Joe’s. Orange amber colour with a frothy and bubbly white head. Fresh, leafy, piny, grapefruit, and caramel aroma. Bready, caramel, and lightly fruity malts leading to a fantastic fresh pine, grapefruit, and fruity bitter finish. Full bodied and smooth mouthfeel. The relative "balance" of this compared to Dreadnaught just leaves this head and shoulders above that for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
deadguy (42) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2004
This is my fav. of the dogfish head IPAs - hoptastic! Moderate head and lacing, the beer pours deep copper. Finish is very hoppy with a linger of slight citrus. I love amirillo hops, their flavor is very apparent. The malts are balanced with the hops for a well rouned taste. I dig it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - NOV 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2007 Orange with and off white head. The aroma suprised me. I was expecting more hops, but instead I got a sweet yeasty aroma complimented by spices. The flavor suprised even more as the hops weren’t dominant. It had ridiculous maltiness for an IPA. The dominant taste was sweet fig, and the hops were not very strong. This beer ends more bitter than it starts. Just a sweet superbly balanced beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 7, 2004
An instant classic in my books. I’m all about the hops and this has it in spades! Pours a big creamy smooth beige head and a hazy orange. Nose is floral, spicy, citrus and sweet. Malt start with hops tickling the tip of my tongue. Dry finish with a tad of carbonation and more hops aftertaste. Alcohol is a silent and wonderful delight... fabulous and complex.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jtxx (148) - san antonio, Texas, USA - NOV 5, 2004
almost a copper/bronze color..head stayed the entire drink, which was at least 20 minutes. sweter than i like. one or two a night is enough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Crockett (1002) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 31, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2005 My original rating for this beer was terrible. I will allow the numbers to speak for themselves as this is one of the few beers that I crave on a regular basis. Although I do have a couple of bottles at home, I prefer to sample at bars and save the ones in my care. This one really grows on you, and although it isn’t balanced, she is quite delicious and fun.