overall

RATINGS: 4111   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
BJM8 (17) - USA - OCT 11, 2004
Maybe itís me, but these Dogfish Head beers donít do it for me. I find them wildly overrated. Overly citrusy, very hoppy, and not a great aftertaste at all. Iím disappointed...no comparison to Stone IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ricardowess (25) - Sedona, Arizona, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Clear IPA with beautiful honey color and a creamy (smallish) head. Smells of maple and tastes like caramel malts. Malts head off the aftertaste of this hoppy concoction. Thanks to my brother for sending it via USPS!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gmku (294) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - OCT 9, 2004
Wow. I know this has a great rep, but I guess I donít entirely get the whole superabundant hop trend. Seems really harsh to me, and I generally think of myself as a hophead. Iím glad to have some on hand, and itís certainly a tasty beer--thereís enough malt to keep it drinkable, and the ensuing 9%ABV beer buzz from my 12 oz bottle was pleasant. I just donít enjoy getting the roof of my mouth ripped to shreds by those hop soldiers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
canary dog (649) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - OCT 6, 2004
A good quality strong beer, as is most of Dogfish Headís products. However, I just canít enjoy too much of this style anymore: strong, citrusy hops that are presented in an almost thick and sweet cloying fashion. Drink only 1 bottle per session.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2004
Pours a nice ruby, with a decent head. Pronounced flavour is mostly hoppy, but well-balanced with some fruity cherry and pear notes. Aroma is also mostly hoppy, but has some fruity notes as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 6, 2004
Pours a hazy amber with a medium, long lasting head. Aromas is huge floral hops with some citrus. I thought that the hops would really dominate the flavour but the malt really comes through, obviously with a big hop too but more balanced than I expected. Silky smooth mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2005 Hazy orange with a good sized white head. Aroma is citrus with some sweet pineaaple undertones. Smooth, creamy feel. Flavor is very well balanced and relatively complex. Hops definitely take center stage, but unlike some IPAs, the hoppiness does not completely overpower the malt. There is a lot going on in this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 3, 2004
My second review, this time from a 12 oz. bottle, the previous from a 750ml, ah, but I was so much older, then, Iím younger than that now... Gorgeous peachy color, big, fresh, full head of bone-white foam. Aroma: BAM! Whoppity-snappityBAM!BOOM!BAM!, thatís the full force of the pine up in there, the intense grapefruit, all the citric flavor that embarks on the senses and nevers flags for a second, grassy, herbal, potent, totally hoppy, sprucey, piney, pineappley, so much going on in this nose! But, to taste...Ah! A wonderful mess here, a big, mix of hops and citric fruity flavor, the punchy pine on the palate, yum, yum, yum. If youíre not sufficiently infatuated with humulous lupus, sit this one out, by all means. A big, sticky, fruity, citric mouthfeel, and, yeah, thereís grapefruit, but so much more. Like licking a forest floor, at times, this one, if I may be so bold. Yeah, but if itís hops you want, lean back and enjoy this onslaught, itís astonishingly tasty! Love it, love it, love it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2005 Pours a light peach. The head is well developed and thick and leaves a nice coat of lace around my la chouffe tulip. Nose is spicy. Pine, oily hops and flowers all around in the nose. Not bad. Many juicy hop tones. The malt is very subdued, providing some body and a backbone but not much flavor. The hops bring tons of grapefruit accompanied by orange and lemon. The alcohol is warming but doesnít produce any flavor at all. Very bitter and quite dry but still very smooth. Delicious DIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 26, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2004 (tap) WHOA now... HOPTASTIC flavor, warm and smooth... iím feeling this one... and it feels like a long, sexy massage.