overall

RATINGS: 4184   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Awesome beer that started off my eve before New Years Eve. Moderate head, about 1/3". Smells sweet, smooth and crisp. Color is calming; an easy amber brown. "Holy crap" was what went through my mind as I took the first sip. Tastes of honey, alcohol and lemons. Mouth watering and semi-citrusy; very sharp. Grassy and bitter afterbite, making me pucker up. You could feel the alcohol resonate with the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Nice hoppy aroma, but could use a little more dry hopping. Golden to Amber and slightly hazy in appearance. Very heavy malty flavor. Balances more toward the malt than the hops. I get a slightly strange aftertaste. Another rating said metallic, and that is what it feels like. Warmth from the alcohol content. Overall, not bad but I would rather go with a hoppier regular IPA or an Imperial IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jde123 (763) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2005 Pours amber with a bubbly countenance. Forthright aroma, punches you in the face, but not overly sweet. Very silky and rounded palate, decent enoguh flavor, but seems to have been brewed with a quixotic detachment better relegated to lesser imperial IPAs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cdog (32) - Farmington, Michigan, USA - DEC 30, 2004
A good IPA but not my favorite. I got a little metal taste after every drink. Not a nasty metal but a lingering taste on the sides of my taste buds.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2004
This is easily one of the best IPAs available. This is a more accomplished IPA than the 120 minute, which probably suffered from overkill. The hops are strong, but remain balanced. The finish is strong, but clean, with a slightly lingering caramel flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cfranz (261) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 28, 2004
While trying to smell this I got some up my nose. Sometimes I feel like a total moron. Hoppy New Year! Dogfish seem to know what they are doing. They could slap their label on a bottle of floor cleaner and I would probably taste it (and rate it a 4.1) I’m waiting for the 150 minute IPA (next logical progression).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Poures a very inviting amber/orange with a quickly thinning off white head. Sappy pine, hard candy sweet, thickish aroma. Very rich and chewy mouthfeel. Sticky sweet maltiness, fruity, toffee, almost rum-cake like. Although the alcohol is evident, it is still very smooth and easy drinking. This is easily one of my new favorite beers. Try it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Pours a beautiful deep gold. Thick white head that’s practically 1/4 the body. The aroma is suprisingly subdue - caramel being the main scent. This beer starts with a sweet chocolate/candy base. Then the hops literally jump off the tongue and tingle the roof of my mouth. Is this an IIPA or a stout? Good balance for ALOT of hop/malt activity. Is it too much though? The finish shows a bit of the 9% abv, but definitely not overbearing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - DEC 22, 2004
In the bottle. This was dark gold in color- not really amber at all. Aroma of tootsie roll candy. In fact, the dominant flavor was candy sweetness. So sweet in fact that you could not tell that there was any alcohol at all. Hops were a disappointment as I had expected some ultra-super-dooper-high hop bitterness. This was very underhopped in my opinion for a top-notch IPA. Could it be that Dogfish head gets my newest "Overrated" vote?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mds (2193) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 18, 2004
bottle. copper body with a medium sized white head. hoppy aroma is just phenomenal, also notes of citrus and caramel. WOW, this beer has great balance and is very easy drinking. A little bit of alcohol shows up but I wouldn’t be able to tell that it’s 9%. The guys at Dogfish have certainly done it with this one.