overall

RATINGS: 4203   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2010 Pours a dark gold in color with a healthy head that lingers for some time allowing for some excellent lacing. Very nice hoppy taste with caramel undertones. By far my favorite IPA and one of my favorite beers.

Update 8/7/08: Ive sampled this beer so many times over the years and it is still my go to even after all this time. This is the quintessential IIPA for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
liquid Dutch hydro THC. sticky cream head, brilliant honey colored body, full range of hop bitterness/flavor/aroma. stellar. best at 60F.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
ARMed (597) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2005
Absolutely terrible aroma. I could not drink the beer due to the smell. Taste was nice and crisp with a ton of flavor. Good balance and nice hopiness. No my cup of tea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JAN 21, 2005
Deep amber/bronze with a rocky off white head and good lacing. Hops out front of the aroma (as expected). Nice malty and apple sweet aroma as well. For an aggressively hoppy IPA, this one is also extremely well balanced. Some very hoppy IPAs are so far out of balance that they become unappealing - not the case here. Bracingly bitter but still clean finish to round out a great IPA!

RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Certainly one of the top three IPAs Ive ever had. Strong delicious Hops presence in the aroma, texture, flavor and finish. Absolutely one of the best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
erod61 (31) - Bangor WI, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Im not usually a big fan of IPAs. This was my first DFH and it makes me rethink my position on IPAs. I found the beautiful copper color and the piney citrusy aroma gave away the wonderful taste to follow. I have three more in the cellar to look forward to!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bockyhorsey (2610) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 17, 2005
First beer had at a beer festival. Good head and gold in color. Noticed a fruity aroma and beer went down fast because by smell I knew I would like this one right from the start.

Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - JAN 16, 2005
Good to see Dogfish in Arizona. A nice floral aroma very citrusy. Nice heather like appearance. Hops are ever present. Could use a little more balance, still this beer is very thirst quenching. Clean and refreshing on the palate. Very similar to Hopfather here at Papago brewing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gsteph (321) - knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2005
Great looking bronze pour with a good sized white head that stayed around for a few minutes. Left good lace as it subsided. Aroma is intense...fresh cut pine, sappy, and hops, hops, hops with a little cutting from the malt. Flavor has the same intensity...strong piney, floral, citrus flavor. The barley does its job here. The tongue assault is held in check. The balance is remarkable and the flavor is on from beginning to end. Finishes bitter. Very appetizing and leaves me wanting more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Bottle. Classic IPA color...thin white head ok lacing. Smells wonderful...sweet pine aroma...initial sweet malt flavor that quickly subsides to a wonderfully harmonious orchestra of hops!!! So amazing! hop heaven....crisp delecious, very well done. not a ridiculous amount of hops but just perfection. I would love to shake the master brewers hand! I loved this beer.