overall

RATINGS: 4184   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2004
12 oz. bottle. Pours a beautiful hazy golden color with decent off-white head. Minimal lacing. Aroma contains citrus notes....and sort of smells like rubbing alcohol. Not a very pleasant smell, in my opinion, but you can definitely smell the hops. Nice rich mouthfeel. Bitter, hoppy flavor; slight floral and citrusy notes. Overall, kind of overrated, in my opinion, but definitely not bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
amovie (1) - Holmdel, New Jersey, USA - DEC 13, 2004 does not count
This is the best beer I can get where I live in NJ. It moves fast so its alwasy fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeMcPhee (8302) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2006 Rerate: Orange-golden colour topped by a thick off-white head. Gorgeous grapefruit, orange, and pine hoppiness. Sweet maltiness, with a touch of brown sugar and toffee. More sweet apricot/papaya fruitiness as well. Flavour is also very hoppy tasting. Sweet caramel balancing the sweet fruity hops. Light resin and a beautiful citrus flavour. Some hints of alcohol toward the back that help thin the body a bit. Great beer. I underestimated it the first time around. Deep amber-orange colour with a very thin white lacing. Slightly cloudy. Rich caramel toffee malts balance off a huge load of pine, spice, and grapefruity hops. There is also a bright citrus hop aroma and some cookie dough in the malt profile. Flavour is quite well-balanced with just enough malty sweetness to balance the prominent hopping. Resiny and citrusy hop flavour with a nicely bitter finish. A good beer, but I think itís highly over-rated. 8/3/7/3/15

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Good lord dat-alada-hop...Silly name excellent brewery. Havenít had anything bad from them yet!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bleeng (1496) - Houston nowhere near Beersel, Texas, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Dark golden/orange color with a lingering whitish head. Smell-super hopped! Sugary/hoppy taste and full of flavor to the end. This is one great beer that has just arrived in Houston-lucky us.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2004
Dark orange with a cream colored, soapy head. Strong citrus and piney hop aromas. Flavor is mostly bitter hops, with grapefruit and lemon dominating, overlaid on a caramel malt base. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat oily, and the finish is lingering and bitter. The 9% ABV provides a pleasant alcohol burn. Not my favorite style, but I did enjoy this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 . Distinct malt tinged hop aroma, thick almost syrupy mouthfeel, ( the glass is always sticky if you get this on tap) the citrus hop blended perfectly with over the top malt, I see no room for improvement, its the standard that everyone else will have to match. My only hope is that DFH never softens or weakens it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2005 Draught. Flying Saucer in Fort Worth, Texas while attending the Breederís Cup, October 30, 2004. Great look of dark orange and amber and nose is strong malt and hops. Huge thick and chewy head that stays for the entire pint. I have been told about this one for a while, but I believe it has a bit too much sweetness. I did drink this one outside on a sunny day (not the perfect environment for a heavily malted IPA) but I still found it a bit too malty and barleywine-ish. Not that that is terrible by any means, it just masked these great and uncommon hops, and I wanted to taste some more of those. I canít wait to try the 60 minute.... I sampled this one again on 1-29-2005 with homebrewerguy from the bottle. Not nearly as sweet as the draught and also a bit more smoky. Actually a little more interesting if sampled from the bottle. Good stuff

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Wow, this is a huge beer. The only imperial IPA Iíve had before is Victory Hop Devil, and honestly, I was a bit drunk at the time so I never rated it (Mondiale de la biere 2004). That being said, I donít remember that one being as malty or complex as this. This tastes much like some of the better barley wines Iíve had. Huge nose of malt and hops, sweet and chewy mouthfeel, with a LONG finish of 3 hops Iíve never knowingly had before. Incredible beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2776) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2012 Botte dated 11/03. Open the bottle for a big malty smell. Malty, malty, malty! I poured it into a narrow pilsener glass for some odd reason, but that let me see its copper body with golden highlights, under a bubbly head. The taste is sticky; any sweeter and itíd be beer candy. Then I noticed the nice American IPA hop bill sliding in nice and gently, until it demonstrates itís every bit the match of the oversized malt profile. Total impression is of a hoppy young barley wine. I hadnít realized this was an Imperial IPA. Iíll have to see if I can cellar my remaining bottles. Still, glad to have had a relatively fresh one, so I could catch the hops before they fade out.