overall

RATINGS: 4357   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldMrCrow (2049) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 25, 2005
UPDATED: APR 23, 2006 Composite rating: from the bottle and on tap.

Pours copper-orange and clear with a full and long-lived head for the style. The aroma is, unsurprisingly, a hoppy grapefruit and juniper. This one is rich on the palate, oily with a drawn out and complex rush of flavor.

The flavor was sweeter and maltier than I expected upon my first sample (I was better prepared upon later encounters.) This is not a bitter IIPA (the glass of Rogue IIPA that I was drinking at the same time was far more intense and far more bitter). Instead, one gets a suite of sweet alchol/fermentation flavors, banana esters, and lots of syrupy sweetness.

I donít understand the hype here. Like most of the beers coming out of this brewery, the hype seems be way out ahead of the product itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - JUL 24, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2006 12 oz. bottle. Pours a orange-copper color with a thin head. The aroma is the best of an IPA or Double IPA, IMO. It hits you with a sweet, intense hopiness. Like sticking your nose in a fresh bag of hops. Mouthfeel is viscous, but not overboard. Taste starts sweet and finishes with a sweet bitterness that lingers for a long time. You can tell care went into providing a good malt background for the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jefcon (1451) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 24, 2005
Copper and lacy in the glass. Hop, citrus, dandelion aromas with some caramelly malt. Multiple bites of hops, but not at all bitter. Complex and balanced with lemongrass, orange, and hickory notes. Long on the finish with a great weight and character on the tongue. Very, very nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
1FastSTi (3341) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 23, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2005 Sampled from a 750 care of DavidP. He mentioned that itís from 2002. The picture on the bottle is a guy trying to pound a nail up his nose. The appearance is a beautiful, shiny/iridescent red copper color. Wispy white head looks like cirrus clouds. The aroma is barleywine-esque. I get a huge sweet and spicy malt with a ton of bitter hops that didnít fade much with age (although I canít compare to a fresh one). I get a lot of the two-row present. The flavor is to die for. Holy cow! I get caramel, two-row barley, still has tons of hops, I also get a chocolatey backbone. The palate is nice, rich and creamy, but I get a bit too much alcohol. 7/5/10/4/17 = 4.3 >>>>>>>>>>>& (2005?) that is from a 12 oz. bottle. I poured it into my Pilsner glass for optimal appearance. And, yes, that is achieved. It has the densest milky merengue head that I have EVER seen on a beer. Absolutely gorgeous. The aroma is still like a barleywine IMO. The palate is so delicate and soomth. Rich and creamy. No hint of alcohol. I donít recall the flavor comparison by memory, but in reading, Iíd say the flavor is very similar. Really good stuff. 7/5/10/5/18 = 4.5

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jcr (2263) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUL 23, 2005
Aroma greets you with hops and malts - citrus, caramel. A pleasant sweetness of caramel rides on top of the bittering hops as you sip and swallow. Slight afterglow of alcohol. This is one well-crafted IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2005
I agree with the reviewer a few lines below....I enjoy the 60 minute IPA better. The 90 minute IPA has more of a malt finish to help balance the heaps or hops. Any way you slice it, Dogfish Head makes great tasting beer!

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUL 18, 2005
Loved this beer, even though it was sweeter than I thought it would be, it worked, very balanced, alcohol was hidden well. I enjoyed it at a warmer temperature. Canít wait to have it again!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrewDad (5090) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2005
A great beer. Sam really hit the hops on this 90 minute IPA. had a strong finish and a great overall color. I loved the hoppy undertones throughout the beer. Drank this at PIB (Portland International Brewfest)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - JUL 14, 2005
This is a good IPA, but a little too much over the top hop flavor for me. Not sure if it is too much, or the wrong selection for my taste buds. I preferred the 60 min. better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TURDFERGUSON (4004) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2006 very good in the bottle...even better on tap. i know this is true for most beers, but you can really taste the difference in the hop presence when its fresh from the keg.