overall

RATINGS: 4245   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2799) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2012 Botte dated 11/03. Open the bottle for a big malty smell. Malty, malty, malty! I poured it into a narrow pilsener glass for some odd reason, but that let me see its copper body with golden highlights, under a bubbly head. The taste is sticky; any sweeter and it’d be beer candy. Then I noticed the nice American IPA hop bill sliding in nice and gently, until it demonstrates it’s every bit the match of the oversized malt profile. Total impression is of a hoppy young barley wine. I hadn’t realized this was an Imperial IPA. I’ll have to see if I can cellar my remaining bottles. Still, glad to have had a relatively fresh one, so I could catch the hops before they fade out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hrnplr (5) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 28, 2004 does not count
Maybe the most drinkable of this brewery’s IPAs. Not as swiggable as the 60, or as incredible as the 120, but a killer beer. Well-balanced, perfect choice of hops, and just the right kick...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 28, 2004
After the 60 minute I was expecting something crazy. Well, it’s not crazy, just really bitter. I was amazed to find that I could barely even smell this beer. I don’t really care for the hops DFH used. Are they the same as in the 60?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Lite citrus hop upfront on the aroma. Poured a hazy orange/amber color. The taste had immediate sweat malts with buried hoppy grapfruit that start to move foward (as citrus and wood) then retreat, letting the malty sweatness back in. Finishes with a bitter pine and wood flavor. A very enjoyable drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Great red pour with great hops. The taste starts great. You can taste the malts. The taste is like graitfruit and malts put together. The mouthfeel was kind of like hard liquor at times, but good. The finish was a little bitter. Really terrific though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Nice orange color with a lasting white head...good lacing. Excellent aroma of hops, fruit, and cotton candy. Great hop profile, hints of citrus and cloves. Hops were much more mild than expected...great tasting IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
xray (50) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - NOV 18, 2004
IPA’s are not one of my favorite styles of beer but this is the best of the bunch. DFH overdoes the hops without overdoing it. Dark orange hoppy color with a crazy head poured from the bottle. Nice balance of malt and hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - NOV 18, 2004
Relatively clear amber body with vibrant oranges and syrupy brown and honey colors. Head is loose, white and does not last long at all. Smell is hoppy with pine fragrances, as well as fruity melons and bananas. Mouth feel is cool and syrupy. Flavor comes with a wallop of dry vegetable/pine cone hops then gets sweeter with fruity papaya, pineapple and sweet melon. Aftertaste is that excellent, dry, biting hop flavor that you want from a good IPA coupled with some nice roasty nut flavors. Alcohol is definitely there too and is brutish for the otherwise refined high alcohol beverages by DFH. But still, its completely normal for a big IPA. You know, if I had been blindfolded in a room of 100 IPAs (heaven for most of you), I guarantee I could have found this beer and classified it as DFH, it just has that distinctiveness. Cheers, for drinking back to back 99-100 percentile beers by a fine brewer from my region.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - NOV 15, 2004
330 ml bottle at Smokeless Joe’s. Orange amber colour with a frothy and bubbly white head. Fresh, leafy, piny, grapefruit, and caramel aroma. Bready, caramel, and lightly fruity malts leading to a fantastic fresh pine, grapefruit, and fruity bitter finish. Full bodied and smooth mouthfeel. The relative "balance" of this compared to Dreadnaught just leaves this head and shoulders above that for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
deadguy (42) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2004
This is my fav. of the dogfish head IPAs - hoptastic! Moderate head and lacing, the beer pours deep copper. Finish is very hoppy with a linger of slight citrus. I love amirillo hops, their flavor is very apparent. The malts are balanced with the hops for a well rouned taste. I dig it.