overall

RATINGS: 4107   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

pineypower (2402) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - APR 24, 2004
As typical with dogfish, this beer has a long lasting creamy white head. The hop aroma smacks you in the face the minute you pop off the bottle cap. It pours a golden hue of amber. The taste is very hoppy as the name would suggest with a dry/alcohol finish. At first sip you don't realize the 9%, after that it hits you. Great Imerial IPA to sit back and enjoy

jercraigs (7335) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 19, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2006 Re-Rate July 2006 Cask @ Ashley’s in Ann Arbor. I was excited to the point of annoying my fellow beer travelers at seeing this available. Teehee! Orange body with a massively creamy head is glorious, and long lingering lace down the glass. Green leafy hop aroma is suprisingly sweet. Sweet yet hoppy flavour with lots of green resiny hops, bitterness is dangerously well balanced by malt. Smooth creamy palate. Worth the trip to Michigan! 9/5/8/4/17 - 4.3<P> Re-Rate Oct 2004 Orange amber body with a fluffy white head. Big hoppy aroma with a resiny sweetness in the flavour. Full smooth body, sweeter than I remembered it being. 7/4/7/4/17 - 3.9<P>Original Rating Crowned by a beautiful pillow of an off white head. Orange body with lots of slightly floral hops in the aroma, lead you to a very hoppy but surprisingly well balanced flavour profile. The bitterness is not as powerful as I anticipated. Velvety soft palate that cannot quite be described as thick. Thanks to IPfreely for sending this one my way. 8/4/8/4/17 - 4.1

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - APR 18, 2004
Pretty good stuff. Very hoppy. Pours a nice golden/amber color with a frothy off white long lasting head head. Lots of hop aroma and flavor with a slightly sweet/alcohol finish. Enjoyable, but I have to say I like the 120 minute better. I think if I had tried this first I wouldve liked it more. Still, tasty stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 15, 2004
Another killer brew with big hops in a 90-minute boil I haven't been able to get my hands on the 120-minute IPA yet, so this one will have to do. You will have to love the basic IPA to get along with this offering.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
garrison (749) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2004
This poured a dark amber hue with a lasting head, with an herbal-citric smell. The flavor was sharp and complex, but I have to go against the masses here and say that I prefer the 120 Minute... the 90 just didn't have the certain quality I was looking for in an IPA. Yes, it's a very good beer, but just not what I was expecting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2004
"Deep orange color, medium head. Aroma is floral and herbal, touch of grapefruit. A big bold malty and hoppy IPA. Very smooth taste. The over malting is balanced by the extreme over hopping. At 9% alcohol and 90 IBU, you would expect this beer to be much harsher and stronger tasting. It is surprising in it mellowness and subtly. Malts have a touch of fruitiness and sweetness to them. Hops are dominant and are floral and slightly spicy. Complex flavors. Thick taste, thick I will be picking hops otta my teeth for a couple of days. Grapefruit flavor intensifies as it warms. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter."

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
roder60 (1280) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2004 Beautiful hoppy citrusy aroma. Makes my mouth water. Dark gold/light amber appearance...a little murkey, with a small amount of manilla head. The flavor is a massive onslaught of hops and absolutely no malt taste. Bitter and dry aftertaste. Sits nicely on the palate and you really don't get the full balance until swallowing. Very good IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tijean77 (2) - USA - APR 13, 2004 does not count
i wish that i had opened this 750ml bottle earlier. open'em up if you've got 'em...there is no need to wait...hop heads unite and enjoy before all we have are 12oz'ers.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 12, 2004
Beer pours a nice thick dark amber. The smell is dominated by piney hops. The taste is dominated by hops as well. Minimal malt balance -- that's fine with me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1807) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - APR 11, 2004
750ml bottle: Mine was bottled 12/02 and opened 4/11/04. This one poured a cloudy, dark golden color. There was a big frothy head on it, which settled down rather quickly. Some lacing down the glass. Don't know if the aroma mellowed as it aged, but it is a bit weaker than expected. Still, it has a strong hop aroma, with some lemony notes. Suprisingly sweeter taste with only a little bitterness. maybe even a little bready and lemony taste. This was really nice!