overall

RATINGS: 4390   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAY 11, 2005
As expected this is a very one sided brew. It has a crazy amount of hops. I personally donít like the woodsy/pine resin flavor that is associated with some of these types of brews, and this one had a LOT of it. I wouldnít go out of my way to get it again. $9.99 for a 4 pack.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerRules (243) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 11, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2005 Nice bubbly light brown head and the beer has an amber color. Aroma is delicious, smells of grapefruit, pine, and alcohol. Flavor is awesome, tastes hoppy, citrucy, and of caramel. However the finish is a bit too sweet for me. I was afraid this beer would be a hop assault, but theres enough malt to make this very drinkable, almost dangerously drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BillBrasky (5) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 10, 2005 does not count
This was my first Dogfish Head brew, and wow, I am impressed. A smooth pour and nice head presents itself immediately in your hopefully clean glassware. First impression is the quite hoppy aroma that fills your nasal passages with a just a hint of some strong citrus juice, maybe grapefruit. First taste gives you instant gratification with a smooth yet powerful wave of flavors. Hops hit ya then the malt smoothes it out. Great, great finish, not overly hoppy like some IPAís. Sticky to the tongue but does not linger toooo long. Nice coating of flavor all around. This is one of my new favorite beers, and I will cherish this find like a song that reminds you of old memories. Luckily, I can find this at my local grocery store.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GonZoBeeR (2987) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 9, 2005
On tap a the moan and dove... Aroma:Good nose of hops,light caramel... Appearance:Amber gold,good head... Flavor:Hops and butter....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Pours golden amber with a big fluffy offwhite head that settles to about half an inch and laces the glass amazingly well. Aroma is of citrus and pine but you can definitely pick up aromas of malt and a hint of spice even. The aroma leads me to believe that this has the malt to back up the hops. The flavor can best be described as smooth.. Amazingly smooth for an IPA. The malt so well balances the hops in this one. Very well balanced.. Some citrus flavor but mostly sweetness (caramel) can be tasted in this and a touch of grapefruit on the back but not that usual bitter smack Iíve come to expect from IPAs.. On the palate this might be the thickest IPA Iíve ever tasted. Coats your mouth with creamy goodness. This is a great brew! I think Iím in love!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
spikee (96) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 6, 2005
Strong aroma of pine and gin. Beautiful golden, copper pour with little head. Flavors of pine, strong citrus, and hops. Absolutely delicious overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1867) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2005
Crystal clear. Dark golden to light amber. Big, foamy, off white, everlasting head. Very tiny bubbles from bottom to top. I get some aroma that I just donít have the words for. Some citrus. Most beer has the citrus though. I can say that the aroma is very robust. Its like nothing like Iíve ever smelt. Its a good thing. Malty Malty Malty balances the Hoppy Hoppy Hoppy very well. A bit more alcohol than I would like to taste. Very full bodied. Not a lot of bubbles rolling over the tounge. Pretty good. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these and falling on my face when I get up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7326) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Pours a cloudy orangish-amber color with a moderate white head that lingers very well. Aroma is very complex, with pine and various citrus hops dominating. There was also some alcohol present, which is to be expected. This beer attacks the taste buds with its wonderful hoppiness. Flavor is surprisingly well-balanced with the beerís malt and alcohol. Absolutely fantastic! This beer get better as it approves to about 45-50 degrees. Highly recommended!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 3, 2005
I am a fan of Dogfish from wayback, and this is one of their finest regular beers. It pours a surprisingly amber color for an IPA with a good head that subsides slowly, perhaps shortened by the 9% alcohol level. The aroma is extremely complex, with hops, hops and hops dominating. The only drawback I have with this beer is the residual sweetness I detect in the mouthfeel and the finish. A fine blend of aromas combining citrus and herbs with a touch of caramel. Well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mephisto (1275) - TAIWAN - MAY 3, 2005
amber color w/ very little head. full bodied, bitter aftertaste. very hoppy.