overall

RATINGS: 4390   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
UPDATED: APR 17, 2005 Nice but not great Imperial. too much malt sweetness for me not hoppy enough. a good beer fron a much overrated brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tejas (909) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 2, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2009 Iím not a big hop head or at least I didnít used to be. The flowery hop aroma in this one is actually very enticing. Nice 1 finger head that holds itís form. Very smooth and hardly any of that hop bite that I used to hate. Extremely drinkable. The 9% is not noticeable at all. I could drink this regularily and thatís saying a lot for this malt lover.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Holdwine (1116) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Wow! Like jumping into a hops pool. Dark red pour with a small lasting head. Must be sipped to get the full citrus tang with the sharp hoppiness. I guess there is malt as well, but who cares?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2007 a wonderful deep, mahogany red appearance with thin, white head; aroma of full of hops (more on the floral side) and sugars, while the flavor is full of grapefruit, malts, and sugars; good palate

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2005 a wonderful beer. with much anticipation i poured my first glass and was certainly not disappointed. the grapefruit flavor is very unique and the alcohol punch is just right. beautiful deep golden color and nice sweet/spicy aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2006 I wasted two glasses of this stuff just trying to find one thing wrong with it. Never did, but I enjoyed trying. Pours a lighter golden color which is a little weak but the balance of hops and malt in the flavor along with the crisp finish is just perfect to me. Alcohol is masked nicely and it is deceptively strong. Wow, just highly enjoyable and I wish it came in 6 packs and not the 4ís.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gachupines (1044) - USA - FEB 22, 2005
One of my favorite IPAís that I can find regularly. Taste is very hoppy and floral, but surprisingly drinkable considering its strength. Almost dangerous, because I could drink it as a session beer if I didnít realize the alcohol was as high as it is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Fridge temp bottle pours clear golden amber. Frothy head receeded to thiun but never disappeared. My favorite "widely available" IPA. The hops come through like freshly crushed indica buds. Full of resin and tart and piney woods. Crisp, short lingering aftertaste that begs for another. $9 a four pack. Tthey should charge more for this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jackamackson (127) - USA - FEB 19, 2005
pours a nice clear dark amber, with a frothy white lacing head. aroma is piney hops. nice citrus hoppy flavor, almost balanced by malt. you can detect the alcohol a little, but itís very well hidden. good full mouthfeel. a great iipa.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beaver (1420) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 14, 2005
12 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a fine creamy white head that lasts through the entire glass and leaves some lacing.

Its aroma is some spicy floral piney hops at first. It kind of devolves into a peppery leather smell though that isnít very appealing.

The flavor is sweet melon and some pepper up front. I donít get much hop flavor, but it does have a good lingering bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but very smooth.

Overall, I found this to be underwhelming. Itís a pretty average IPA and didnít live up to the high expectations (or price).