overall

RATINGS: 4288   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - AUG 5, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2005 Cask-conditioned (Gravity) at the Great British Beer Festival, Kensington Olympia, London. (Thursday Session). Massively herbally hoppy beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jeppe (2631) - ōlbutikken, DENMARK - AUG 5, 2004
Pours a clear orange golden body with a foamy off-white head. Heavy bittersweet hoppy aroma with undertones of toffee and caramel. Flavor is very hoppy (!) with a good bitterness specially in the finish. Dry, heavy and flavorfull. Hides the alcohol well but gives you a warm feeling inside.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
melvinatheses (1) - Maryland, USA - AUG 2, 2004 does not count
Not what I was expecting based on the other comments. I didnít care for the aroma or appearance. A little heavy in my mouth, not as much bitter aftertaste as I was expecting with as much hopping that they do. I know itís bottle conditioned, but maybe my bottle was a little flat? Recommended and I would drink it again, but not on the top of my list.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
beak43 (3) - Springfield, Ohio, USA - JUL 31, 2004 does not count
Way over rated. I was expecting hop nirvana in a glass and was met with very little anything. No aroma, some hop bitterness and a very slight grapefruit flavor. No balance between malt and hops. Very disappointing, maybe I got a bad bottle but I was not impressed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 27, 2004
Great stuff. Amber with an off-white head. Aroma was grapefruit/hops. Full-bodied, thick, creamy. Flavor was awesome. Citrus/grapefruit. Refreshing and satisfying. Excellent!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (774) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 24, 2004
This is one fine ale....one of the best Iíve ever enjoyed. It pours a nice deep amber color. The aroma is a sweet, floral, citrusy one. The mouthfeel is thicker than I imagined, not as syrupy as the DFH 120, and darn good. The taste is superb. Iíd be hard pressed to think of a better example of the style. Hop Wallop and Ruination are excellent, but this bad boy kicks it all up a notch. Iíll always have some of this on hand...period.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
HoppyKev (50) - Redford, Michigan, USA - JUL 23, 2004
Dark golden pour with a good head that held for a fair amount of time. Nice hop smell not overpowering. The suprise to me on the beer was the balance. I expected more hop bitterness and was met with that but almost just as much sweetness as well

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EtownEraser (63) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 15, 2004
Probably the best IPA that I have had to date. Nice pour with a amber color. Excellent maltiness to compliment the hoppiness. Outstanding flavor. It brought me lots of happiness!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
motelpogo (6876) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - JUL 15, 2004
on tap at blind tiger and i reckon it might have been a bit more subdued than in the bottle. woody, sherry aroma. pretty sticky in the mouth but with some vanilla and plum and then a big hit of grapefruit

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUL 14, 2004
Bottle(s). Iíve had so much of this and Iím shocked Iíve never rated it here. Pretty copperish amber pour; medium brainy head that fades to a lingering trace. Aromas are a surprisingly solid mix of malt and hop. Flavors are not even close to blaanced. This beer is an assault of hops. The difference between this and many hop overboard beers is that this one presents a substantial, sweet, chewy malt backbone on which to stand its hop component. Itís good beer. No, itís great.