overall

RATINGS: 4184   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2006 This has to be the most extreme IPA I have ever tasted, which was to be expected. But my overall expectations were way off. There was very little head, and what did exsist lasted only a few seconds then ran for the sides of my glass and hide there the rest of the session. A deep, hazy amber. The nose was strong of hops and hops alone. The taste is brutally hopped, but right when you are about to curse the heavy hand of the hop tosser... the malts come around and save the day. You are still left with the pine-citrus linger, which is plesent, but not extra-ordinary. I suspect much time went into balancing such a big beer. I like IPA’s this one was just a little over the top for me. ~--~ Re- Rate! 3/12/06 bottle ~--~ Well apparently more carbonated this time. Aroma is good but really just like smelling a hop bag. This is thick and surupy?... Thick. Oh, and strong by the way. Two glasses and a fine buzz, check!, Yes Sir! Good and pure. Would I change my previous rating? No... & thats saying something since this was one of my first IIPA... SOLID.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sethatuml (38) - USA - MAR 11, 2004
Hoppy. Very Hoppy. A real treat for fans of beers with flavor. Crisp and clean, with great bite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JSmith1181 (13) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Probably one of my favorite IPA's, although im not a huge IPA fan in the first place. Most notable about this beer is how the taste demands to be recognized. I'm sure I'll find myself picking up some more sometime down the road, I've gotta get back to this one at hand.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 3, 2004
There is an interesting clash with this beer that I can see. I am in the middle of my second of a four pack and the aromas are very subdued. There is hoppy presance and you can tell that there is strength there but everything is strangly muted. Then the color is orange/red but clear with a beautiful head. But really clear, not what I was expecting to see of a so-called bottle conditioned beer. The flavor on the other hand is explosive with powerful malty body that beats up your mout and then come the hops like a pack of wolves hitting every hidden spot with their beautiful bitterness. All-in-all this is an incredible beer, and I haven't had a DFH brew that I didn't like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - MAR 3, 2004
I have had it on tap and the orginal in the 750ml bottle - this is my first tasting of the 12oz bottle in the 4-packs. Deep gold color, with lots of hops and malt in the aroma. After pouring into a glass I notice that the beer is filtered. Still has a wonderful, intense malt and hop flavor, leaving me with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. Its also nice that I only have to drink 12oz so I don't have to be shnockered like after having the BIG bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2004
surprisingly wonderful from the inconsistent dogfish brewery. great one to try for those wanting to make the jump to the 'double' ipa's. well balanced, though i suppose it isn't THAT well balanced because the style dictates huge hopping rates. very drinkable, give it a try!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - FEB 29, 2004
I've had this in bottles, on cask and today got the first pint out of a brand new keg (Map Room-Chicago). What always strikes me about this beer is how well balanced it is. Before I tried it the first time I thought it would be way too bitter, but its a big enough beer to hold its own. Reminds me of a 290 lb linebacker that moves like a ballerina-bulky, yet graceful.

zach8270 (3358) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2008 [bottle] Pours a hazy amber with a thick and fluffy white head. Hoppy aroma mixed with the scent of pine. Initial sweet taste that gives way to a caramel finish with a nice creamy mouthfeel and a super smooth finish. Leaves a nice bitter flavor afterwards.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Oh beautiful, for spacious beer...for amber waves of greatness!!! I sampled this at the San Diego Strong Ale Festival and Im glad i did. It pours an ambery orange hue with a pretty white fairly long lasting head. The aroma is naturally supra hoppy with a life of its own. Weeds, grass, trees, twigs and woody smells dominate your nose. The 90 minute goes down VERY smooth with one hell of a caramelly sweet finish. There is definitely some souring acidity right in mid sip, but man that is one hell of a great finish. Dry, with hints of vanilla, clean, fresh hops, a tingle of carbonation, and a caramelly sweetness. You could almost feel the stickyness or syrupiness of this great IPA throughout the tasting...a great beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - FEB 23, 2004
My favorite beer at the 2004 SE gathering. Very hoppy aroma. Crisp, clean hop flavor throughout with a lingering bitterness on the tongue. Wonderful!