overall

RATINGS: 4553   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RichardGretton (4576) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - AUG 10, 2005
Cask@GBBF, 05. Pale beer with a dry and sweet aroma and a syrupy flavour with a dry finish. Overall an over rated beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
leaparsons (9544) - Wigston, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - AUG 10, 2005
Cask, GBBF 05. Hazy orange/gold with a small head. Aromas are very floral, spicy pine hops with palma violet sweets and spices oranges. Sweet with quite a degree of alcohol. Flavours are sweet and malty for starters, followed by lots of hops pine and spiced oranges. Also, some orange pith bitterness with warming alcohol on the finish. Had quarter of a pint and that was enough for me.

Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - AUG 10, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2005 Copper, Aggressive, alcohol bite, very hoppy... obviously, complex, piney, citrusy, herbal spiciness. Good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 7, 2005
Bottle. Deep orange color with little head. Intense but well balanced hop nose-- lots of grapefruit and floweriness but also a fair amount of malt sweetness, pine tar, and alcohol. Flavor is very well balanced with lots of hops citrus acidity and bitterness, a hefty sweet malt middle, and a tacky, tangy hop/ alcohol aftertaste. Consistently impresses me, just a really fine treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - AUG 7, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2005 Cask conditioned - gravity dispense - GBBF 2005. An amber orange coloured beer with a massive hop aroma featuring lots of grapefruit character. The taste is lovely and hoppy. Plenty of citrus hops - grapefruits, oranges and satsumas. Full of flavour and for me better than the Ruination.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DanielBrown (4336) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - AUG 7, 2005
On tap at GBBF 05. Superb aroma of the most inviting hops I’ve ever smelt. Still looking, oily gold beer. Big, booming tasty beer. Dry hops, juicy, jammy with rosehip. Smooth and flavoursome, all the way through. I’m with harrisoni in calling this as my fave brew of the fest.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
harrisoni (16708) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - AUG 7, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2008 Cask at GBBF 2005. My beer of the festival. Never had anything from Dogfish before, so I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Slightly cloudy dark copper/orange colour. Slight herb on the intensely hoppy slightly metallic aroma. This is just a huge rollercoaster of a beer. Superb. Good citric lime flavour mixed in with the hoppy finish. I could still taste this in my mouth the day after (4.5) Cask at GBBF 2006. The hop aroma is just so wonderful. Fresh hops, grapefruit and golden syrup flavours. (4.8) Cask at GBBF 08. This is one of my favourites and I looked forward to it for 2 years, so I had it twice on the day it came on before it ran out. Just so drinkable for a 9% beer, it’s untrue. 4.6/5

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
raymow (1344) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 4, 2005
I hate to say it, but I liked the 60 minute better. I guess I’m not as much of a hop head as some. Anyway, the quality (as with all Dogfish Head beers) was evident (as were the hops!)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 4, 2005
Hops and pine at the nose. Very complex and big flavorfeaturing hops aplenty yet also having a definitve malty backbone. Bitter but only to a point where it is recognized and enjoyed. Dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (11728) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 3, 2005
12-oz bottle. Pours copper with tiny slow to fast rising bubbles and a huge foamy off-white head that literally begs you to grab a spoon and dig in. Excelllent creamy lacing. Fruit (peach, plum and grape) aromas with hoppy pine notes and a light roasted caramel nutty malt (straw) and yeast (dough) nose. Moderately bitter sweet caramel hop and buttery maple flavor with light acidity and barley, oat notes. Medium bodied and creamy palate with a warming feel, finishes dry and spicy.