overall

RATINGS: 4390   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bleeng (1565) - Houston nowhere near Beersel, Texas, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Dark golden/orange color with a lingering whitish head. Smell-super hopped! Sugary/hoppy taste and full of flavor to the end. This is one great beer that has just arrived in Houston-lucky us.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2004
Dark orange with a cream colored, soapy head. Strong citrus and piney hop aromas. Flavor is mostly bitter hops, with grapefruit and lemon dominating, overlaid on a caramel malt base. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat oily, and the finish is lingering and bitter. The 9% ABV provides a pleasant alcohol burn. Not my favorite style, but I did enjoy this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2009 . Distinct malt tinged hop aroma, thick almost syrupy mouthfeel, ( the glass is always sticky if you get this on tap) the citrus hop blended perfectly with over the top malt, I see no room for improvement, its the standard that everyone else will have to match. My only hope is that DFH never softens or weakens it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2005 Draught. Flying Saucer in Fort Worth, Texas while attending the Breederís Cup, October 30, 2004. Great look of dark orange and amber and nose is strong malt and hops. Huge thick and chewy head that stays for the entire pint. I have been told about this one for a while, but I believe it has a bit too much sweetness. I did drink this one outside on a sunny day (not the perfect environment for a heavily malted IPA) but I still found it a bit too malty and barleywine-ish. Not that that is terrible by any means, it just masked these great and uncommon hops, and I wanted to taste some more of those. I canít wait to try the 60 minute.... I sampled this one again on 1-29-2005 with homebrewerguy from the bottle. Not nearly as sweet as the draught and also a bit more smoky. Actually a little more interesting if sampled from the bottle. Good stuff

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Wow, this is a huge beer. The only imperial IPA Iíve had before is Victory Hop Devil, and honestly, I was a bit drunk at the time so I never rated it (Mondiale de la biere 2004). That being said, I donít remember that one being as malty or complex as this. This tastes much like some of the better barley wines Iíve had. Huge nose of malt and hops, sweet and chewy mouthfeel, with a LONG finish of 3 hops Iíve never knowingly had before. Incredible beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2880) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2012 Botte dated 11/03. Open the bottle for a big malty smell. Malty, malty, malty! I poured it into a narrow pilsener glass for some odd reason, but that let me see its copper body with golden highlights, under a bubbly head. The taste is sticky; any sweeter and itíd be beer candy. Then I noticed the nice American IPA hop bill sliding in nice and gently, until it demonstrates itís every bit the match of the oversized malt profile. Total impression is of a hoppy young barley wine. I hadnít realized this was an Imperial IPA. Iíll have to see if I can cellar my remaining bottles. Still, glad to have had a relatively fresh one, so I could catch the hops before they fade out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hrnplr (5) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 28, 2004 does not count
Maybe the most drinkable of this breweryís IPAs. Not as swiggable as the 60, or as incredible as the 120, but a killer beer. Well-balanced, perfect choice of hops, and just the right kick...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 28, 2004
After the 60 minute I was expecting something crazy. Well, itís not crazy, just really bitter. I was amazed to find that I could barely even smell this beer. I donít really care for the hops DFH used. Are they the same as in the 60?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Lite citrus hop upfront on the aroma. Poured a hazy orange/amber color. The taste had immediate sweat malts with buried hoppy grapfruit that start to move foward (as citrus and wood) then retreat, letting the malty sweatness back in. Finishes with a bitter pine and wood flavor. A very enjoyable drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Great red pour with great hops. The taste starts great. You can taste the malts. The taste is like graitfruit and malts put together. The mouthfeel was kind of like hard liquor at times, but good. The finish was a little bitter. Really terrific though.