overall

RATINGS: 4392   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2004 Comparing the Stone IPA I just had with this Dogfish 90 Double IPA. Stone was Excellent, Dogfish is even better!!! Wanted to save some of these for Milestones but posting made me rethink cellaring this one for too long a time period. Dark Amber out of bottle Hoppy, Sweet, Potent, Intense. Believe it or not I like this better than Dreadnaught!!! Very nice beer. Iím glad I bought all these from Vintage Cellar and they were available. This is truly a great Beer. Dogfish just a wee bit better than Stone Ruination.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 12, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2004 Its all there but for some reason it doesnít come together for me. Iíve tried this now a few times and hesitated to rate considering the legendary props. But I canít hold out any longer. The booziness is distracting and the hops are too astringent. However, lets zoom out and consider all the crap thats out there- this is still quite a fine effort. Re-Rate on Tap at the Maproom 8-11-04: Here is what everyone is talking about! The ingredients come together in a seamless and creamy double IPA that is wonderful. Still not as nuanced as dreadnaught and a bit too much alcohol in the end. New rating combines bottle and tap results.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhrankSlovacek (54) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Pours orangish, blonde. Crisp, strong, hoppy nose. Heavy bitterness, and powerful hops.Dry finish. The first taste was the best, after several drinks my tongue was saturated w/ bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MaxRebo (6) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 8, 2004 does not count
If youíre a hophead, then this beer is fantastic. It pours with a tall head that eventually diminishes and leaves a nice lace behind all the way to the last drop. Aroma is of fresh hop flowers and citrus. This is what turned me on to Imperial IPAs. Iím new to rating, so itís tough to describe this beer. It has a decent mouthfeel -- sort of snappy. Sharp bitterness with some citrusy flavors. When I first tried it, I thought it had such an interesting flavor. I wasnít sure if I liked it, but I couldnít stop taking sip after sip. I guess thatís a good sign? :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cubedbee (10) - USA - JUN 4, 2004
Light gold color with thick bubbly white head. Pleasant hops aroma. Very nice feel in the mouth. Strong hops feeling upfront. Tastes very good for the amount of alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Theli (3) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUN 2, 2004 does not count
A truly awe-inspiring IPA. Powerful, slightly fruity aroma. Deliciously intense hoppy flavor with an interesting herbal aftertaste. This beer has taken up a permanent residence in my top 10.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (4603) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 1, 2004
Ruthless. Simply ruthless. This has a great mouthfeel. Lots of piney orange fruitiness with some diacetyls. Intense burnt orange coloring, but the bottle and label ought to take a deduction, however Iíll give it a pass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2004
You can smell the hops as you our the dark amber/brownish ale into the glass, finsihing it with a full lasting head. Hops are most prevalent flavor, with a little bitterness and a good amount of dryness. An exceptional beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
osmg95 (44) - Florida, USA - MAY 31, 2004
Iím not the biggest hops fan as I prefer to lean toward the sweeter side of malt. Still, The aroma was unreal. A beautiful frothy head that had a very pleasing hoppy aroma. Extreme cloves comes to mind. The initial flavor was a bit overwheling for me (too hoppy) but doesnít linger for too long. The finish is soft and sweet. You certainly can feel the 9% ABV half way through. The strong hops flavor reminds me of the same hoppy flavor s at American micro breweries. As the beer warmed up to 60F, hops flavor mellowed and I really enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5159) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - MAY 31, 2004
The color is a very dark copper with a medium white head on top. The aroma is pungent with orange peels and caramel. There is a very sharp hops bite of pine and orange peels. Not much malt balances this out. This is very good but, I personally would prefer the 60 min.