overall

RATINGS: 4198   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

Superstar (45) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2003
Hazy orange with ample white head. Citrusy, and floral hop scents abound. Very hoppy flavor, but had some nice malt characteristics to back it up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 5, 2003
Dark Golden color. Small head. Nice Cascade head. I was very impressed with how balanced this beer is. This very well may be the finest beer I've tasted!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 2, 2003
Pours a beautiful golden deep amber, a steady stream of bubbles rise up the center forever. The head lands thick, creamy lacey, and creates a thin layer that keeps going and going. Man, I wish I had a picture of this, it's making me drool just looking at it. Big hop aroma, of course, but not as strong as I expected. There is a big, nutty, almond malt type color in the nose too. Starts off a bit on the citrus side, more like sweet oranges with the peels thrown in, rather than a tart grapefruit. A little on the roasty edge going out, there is so much sweetness in here that the bitter finish takes quite a while to come through. This is a very unique Imperial IPA. I think the sweetness may be a little be to much of an overcompensation for my own tastes, but wow, what a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Great label on the bottle. A big hoppy aroma. Big, big head. Deep dark flaxen color. Very bitter and malty flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mhanley (3) - USA - MAY 28, 2003 does not count
This is my favorite IPA. A bit pricey, but worth the bux. I really enjoy a hoppy beer, and this one strikes just the right balance for me between hop & sweet. My second favorite DFH behind World Wide Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
freekyp (1476) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 27, 2003
Orangy body with little in the way of head. Srong spicy fruity notes in nose. Good lacing but little head retention. Initial taste is slightly sweet then hop bitterness takes over with a vengeance. Bittnerness lasts long into aftertaste. A hoppy bonanza!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 26, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2003 Re-rated: The rating given previously was really good. I'm not sure whether my taste buds have changed or the ingrediants in the beer, but it seems to have an strange flavor or should I say off-flavor. My previous rating was from a big bottle while the most recent tasting was in the 12 ouncers. It still has a good malt backround and nice mouthfeel with a nicing warming from the alcohol. Anymore when I drink it I notice a cardboard/oxidation flavor to it. Its even in the aroma. I'm not sure whether it's the hops used but I find a similar thing in the 60 minute. It shys me away now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
whatusay (20) - San Francisco, USA - MAY 22, 2003
The west coast IPAs have a serious IPA competitor on there hands! After trying just about all the great IPA's out there, Dogfish Head Brewery may very well have the best. This beer has ridicules amounts of hops, but very tasty. If you like this one, try the 60 minute and 120 minute IPA's.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
Holy hop overdose. Gimme more. If you like hops (lots and lots of 'em) you've come to the right place. Perhaps a little too much alcohol, but oh, those hops!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 22, 2003
This beer pours a cloudy and pale orange color. It has a moderate head and the aroma is very earthy and hoppy. The taste was very odd. If you've had the 60 minute IPA, this is very similar, just stronger tasting. The taste was very much like the aroma - very hoppy and earthy. I'm not sure what exactly it tastes like, but I'm not a fan of it. It says that this was voted one of the best American beers recently, but I did not enjoy it much.