overall

RATINGS: 4249   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2003 Strong Ale. Much like a barleywine. Very good, and and hoppy. If you like hops, then this is a good beer to try. Nice body and aroma.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DiamondD (38) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 3, 2003
Pours a nice vibrant orange-hued copper color with a decent head. Good lacing as head diminshed slowly. BIG hop aroma. Very nice body. Flavor is great. Gentle but big up front hop sensation balanced by a subtle maltiness that hides in the background. Not to much lingering bitterness at the backend. Very good IPA. I highly recomend it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - AUG 30, 2003
I have a glass of pale golden brew, with nearly no head. I smell flower fields smoldering. It drinks smooth initially, but the hops sit on the back of my tongue. Not unpleasant by any stretch, but I may have been expecting more...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
DYCSoccer17 (3320) - Woodland, California, USA - AUG 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2011 Pours a slightly hazy honey color with a moderate 1-2cm white head. Aroma is of a smoky, must odor with maybe a hint of fruits. Start is hoppy like like an IPA should be with a smoky flavor. This really smooths out and leaves a mild hoppy after taste. Palate is appropriate and the 9% is spledidly hidden. Although this has gotten a lot of rants and raves, I must admit that I was expecting more.(6/4/9/4/15)----- ounce sample on tap at Davis Beer Shoppe. Soy sauce aroma with hints of Panda Express Orange Chicken. This is just sweet, and annoyingly cloying. Transparent orange body with a medium white head and decent lacing. Starts with a ton of orangey hop character. Becomes fruity and medicinal. Malt character is roasted and a bit burnt. Finishes with sweet, sugary, and sticky flavors. A bit boozy, and unimpressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - AUG 28, 2003
Awesome character full of hops. Similar to the 60 minute but seems to be a bit sweeter actually. The malts really do a fine job of balancing out this beer. Bring on the 120 minute...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
monkeyman (57) - Alabama, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Bottled 05-03. Where can I begin? This ale don got no stinkin' hops! A fresh '97 Sierra Nevada Celebration or Bigfoot (ever see a golden retriever shake its head to dry off? Same thing with me, first sip of either 2!); or a (yeah this ain't no forum…) a '97 Brooklyn East India Pale Ale… now those ales had hops (What was it about '97??)! This one wasn't even as hoppy as fresh Anchor Liberty, but there was a bit of Cascade presence, followed by lovely malts (don't know malts... yet). Did I mention that the alcohol was completley hidden?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 25, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2003 Tasted in DC from Cairo. Oh sweet mother of Jesus. I am tasting this after trying the World Wide stout. And the bottle is a 750ml. Woooooo. Absolutely beautiful massive hopped taste. Magnificant. Nasty, dirty, lovely. This is what I am looking for. My search has come to an end. I am a hop head. Orange brown colour. Big beautiful white head. Scent is one thing only - hops. Massive. Great. Hops forever.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
madsberg (10184) - Søborg, DENMARK - AUG 24, 2003
Bottled: Clear dark golden coloured. Off white frothy medium lasting head. Very hoppy aroma. Fruit accents. Flavour is dominated by the hops. Wellbalanced. Starts mellowed but explodes in a acrid bitterness on the palate. This bitteness grows as the beer warms up, and sit on your palate for quite a long time. Nice. Have tried several of these imperial IPA's and kind of like them, but find it hard to find distinct differences in the samples. Thanks to Raindog for this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3292) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2013 This is the beer that led me to this site. I found the bottle with the guy nailing himself, it looked interesting, I took it home and drank it. I was impressed, so I went to the website, found a link to here, all downhill ever since. This is a rating of the 12 oz. bottle. Nice aroma, hoppy, faintly of violets. Appropriate deep gold color, nice head, good lacing, clear. Taste is hoppy, with just enough malt to balance it out. The alcohol is totally masked, well done. A highly commendable beer. RERATE Almost 10 years later, actually hard to believe it has been that long. Draft at Aw Shucks, kicked the keg when they filled my growler. A touch more toward orange than gold in my opinion now. Aroma tends towards earthy and pine hops. Flavor matches. Good toasty, slight caramel malt backbone. The malt backbone probably impresses me more these days than the hops, which now strike me as a touch on the rough side. Probably old school high co-humulone hops as opposed to the smoother varieties you get these days. Alcohol is just a touch apparent now. Won’t change the rating, just too much nostalgia here, but if I were totally honest, it would probably drop to around a 4.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Nice copper/amber color with a thin off-white head. Tons of hops, but kept in balance, not too overpowering. Nice masking of the 9% abv. A great IPA.