overall

RATINGS: 4426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 24, 2003
Finally found this in a 12oz bottle! According to the bottle, it was packaged in 6. No clue as to 6 of what, but if it meant June, this was a mighty fresh bottle. Pours a dark orange color. It wasn't easy getting a head on it, but once it was there it stayed around for a while and left a nice lace. Smells florally malty with some strong hops in there. Tastes a bit citrusy. Well balanced between the hops and malt. I was expecting more, to be honest. I mean, it's good, but just not *that* good. The high alcohol content is barely perceivable, but it's there. Mouthfeel is good and full; anything *but* watery. Nice crisp finish. Drinkability is good as well. I think I was expecting something a little more "extreme" than this. I wouldn't have a problem having several of these, but from all the hype I was thinking one would set me back a few days.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
What a great IPA. Reminds me of the arrogant bastard from stone. Great hop aroma, flavor and bitterness balanced with malt at the end. The finish is a liitle more on the hop bitterness and flavor than the bastard. It still has that nice spicey hop flavor that lingers on your lips after you drink it. What a great beer that I will enjoy again.

Dickinsonbeer (5075) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2003
I have had this in both 26 oz bottle and in 12 oz. Deep orange in color, with slight head which sticks to the glass. Citrus and grapefruit hop aroma, with the flavor being somewhat piney. Some malt background but overall, it is dominated by high alpha hops. Alcohol is hidden well. Surprisingly quaffable for such a strong beer..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2004 Bright brassy orange, decent carbonation, snow white velvety head, and thick lace. Great aroma of honeysuckle flowers and sweet apricots. Initially the thick malts are striking, however the palate gradually surrenders unconditionally to the hop onslaught. Flavor also has some dustiness. Very full palate. This is a serious hop fix.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 14, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 Every day this brewer starts becoming my favorite. I love the diverse product line and cannot wait until more product is readily available in So. Cal. Well, since I'm not in So. Cal I don't give a rats ass if it makes it out there. This stuff is perfect on Randall. Glad Blind Tiger has it on most of the time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
tim299 (1) - USA - DEC 14, 2003 does not count
This is one of my favorite IPA's. Very hoppy and a lovely ABV. Don't take many to make you feel good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Pours a quite cloudy orange color with a big thick white head with great lacing. Aroma is a strong citrusy hoppy smell with a touch of spice. Big malt up fron that is beaten down by a considerable hop bite. Medium body and a nice aftertaste lingers for a while.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreeves (276) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Noticeable alcohol aroma and flavor, but plenty of hops to balance out the strength. A delicious beer, one of the best I've had. Good citrusy, hoppy flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - DEC 5, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2004 Very impressive brew. Huge hop nose, unlike anything I have ever experienced. Hops Galore! Nice lasting head and light copper color. Malty, yet very hoppy flavor. Not too bitter and backed up with malt. Lingering hop flavor that is rather pleasant. Not unpleasantly citrussy like some breweries would make. And very drinkable. Did I metion the hops?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VAYankee (335) - Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Light copper coloring with a thin offwhite head. Rich spicy aroma - floral and pine hoppiness on a mellow malt backdrop. The spicy flavor is an excellent, smooth blend of malt and pine hops; neither are overpowering but both easily noticed. Leaves a pleasing aftertaste with moderate, understated bitterness, yet it is not dry. This beer is truly worthy of its high ratings.