overall

RATINGS: 4373   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 25, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2003 Tasted in DC from Cairo. Oh sweet mother of Jesus. I am tasting this after trying the World Wide stout. And the bottle is a 750ml. Woooooo. Absolutely beautiful massive hopped taste. Magnificant. Nasty, dirty, lovely. This is what I am looking for. My search has come to an end. I am a hop head. Orange brown colour. Big beautiful white head. Scent is one thing only - hops. Massive. Great. Hops forever.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
madsberg (10595) - Søborg, DENMARK - AUG 24, 2003
Bottled: Clear dark golden coloured. Off white frothy medium lasting head. Very hoppy aroma. Fruit accents. Flavour is dominated by the hops. Wellbalanced. Starts mellowed but explodes in a acrid bitterness on the palate. This bitteness grows as the beer warms up, and sit on your palate for quite a long time. Nice. Have tried several of these imperial IPA's and kind of like them, but find it hard to find distinct differences in the samples. Thanks to Raindog for this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3410) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2013 This is the beer that led me to this site. I found the bottle with the guy nailing himself, it looked interesting, I took it home and drank it. I was impressed, so I went to the website, found a link to here, all downhill ever since. This is a rating of the 12 oz. bottle. Nice aroma, hoppy, faintly of violets. Appropriate deep gold color, nice head, good lacing, clear. Taste is hoppy, with just enough malt to balance it out. The alcohol is totally masked, well done. A highly commendable beer. RERATE Almost 10 years later, actually hard to believe it has been that long. Draft at Aw Shucks, kicked the keg when they filled my growler. A touch more toward orange than gold in my opinion now. Aroma tends towards earthy and pine hops. Flavor matches. Good toasty, slight caramel malt backbone. The malt backbone probably impresses me more these days than the hops, which now strike me as a touch on the rough side. Probably old school high co-humulone hops as opposed to the smoother varieties you get these days. Alcohol is just a touch apparent now. Won’t change the rating, just too much nostalgia here, but if I were totally honest, it would probably drop to around a 4.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Nice copper/amber color with a thin off-white head. Tons of hops, but kept in balance, not too overpowering. Nice masking of the 9% abv. A great IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Clear amber color with thin head.Hoppy aroma with some floral notes.Very smooth for the ABV.The best well balanced IPA I have ever had.Finishes with a solid warming feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
presario (4784) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 18, 2003
Much more enjoyable than the 60! Light gold. Medium head with a nice lacing. Strong hop aroma. Perfect hop blend with an interesting malt finish. Alcohol notes are not overly strong. Clean and dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 18, 2003
Lemon, citrus hoppy aroma. Soft and pleasing. Pours golden brown, thin white head. Very smooth. Pleasant sweet aftertaste. Hop bite but not as hoppy as expected. A smooth and tasty beer, much better than the 60 min.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 15, 2003
This is my first rating, I think I picked a good one to be my first. Bottle. This is a hophead's wet dream. Intense floral hop start, then a nice bitterness that stays constant during the the sweet maltiness afterwards and a warmness at the end. Thick and sticky. Just keeps getting better and better as it warms and as you have more of them.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rocky (1) - nutley, New Jersey, USA - AUG 13, 2003 does not count
I have just started the rating process. To date the Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA is the best beer I have tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 13, 2003
Very clear golden orange color. Smells of floral and fruity hops. Hides the 9% abv, very well. Has much more malt balance than I expected. Very good.