RATINGS: 4591   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
burcusabrews (106) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - AUG 23, 2004
Thick aroma of milk chocolate with citrus notes. Ambery orange color with a trace of a white head. Flaovrs of milk chocolate with a very bitter peachy aftertaste. Would like to see more aroma and flavor hops to balance intense bitterness

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hildigöltur (5105) - København, DENMARK - AUG 22, 2004
[Cask conditioned] Amber coloured. Extremely hoppy, rather citrusy and fruity. Very bitter. Long bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
shadey (2079) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 18, 2004
Pour is a burnt orange amber without much head. The aroma is all hop bitterness. The first hit of flavor is all hops but it quickly finishes on a lighter note. I don’t know if this is worth the really high ratings it has recieved. It wasn’t nasty like the 120, but I wouldn’t call it a top 50 beer.

HopsformyHips (113) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - AUG 18, 2004
I get really excited about IPA’s and this one did not let me down. Nice maltiness to balance the crazy hops! Thank you dogfish head.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - AUG 17, 2004
I must admit that I love a good IPA. In this case this one qualifies on all fronts. The beer poors a nice orange color with a big frothy off white head. The araoma is full, foral hops with citrus nose and enticing. flavor is hugw with the incredible hops but nicely balanced by a stong and enjoyable malt backbone. Check this one out it is worth the hunt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 17, 2004
UPDATED: APR 10, 2008 Bought a bottle at Hyde Park Express. Poured great. Smelled like chronic bud. No lie, this stuff smells like pot. Tastes like northern lights chronic. Maybe with some northern brewer hops thrown in. Bitter as a beer gets. It gives new meaning to the word bitter. Definitely intense, but highly offensive to my palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rogueman (19) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 17, 2004
Sitting in Avalon, NJ, doing the vacation thing, and no better double IPA than DFH 90min. I have had the 60 and a pint of the 120, and I would say that the 90 is the perfect hoppiness for me. Smells great, as good as Exponential, which rates high with me! Between this, Oggi’s hopjuice and Alpine Exponential, I would have a hard time picking my favorite. I look forward to a blind taste test.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kosh (20) - Georgia, USA - AUG 14, 2004
didn’t realize this was bottle conditioned until after the pour. a deep golden hazy pour. aroma was citrus and hops and something i just can’t place. was surprized at the smoothness of this beer, i assummed it would be hop overkill at 90 IBU but perhaps the smoothest ’big beer’ i’ve had in this style to date! A very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
IndianaRed (3845) - Boise, Idaho, USA - AUG 12, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2004 Bottle pours a deep hazy golden with a very nice just off-white head that is reluctant to leave just yet. There is enough effervessing to maintain it and to support rich sticky lacing. Aroma is quite hopy (of course) but also somewhat fruity citrusy and floral. Like pumpkin bread or shortbread cookies. Tastes of strong hops but ballances well with the other, yeast, grain, butter and strangely... carbboard. Mouthfeel, this I think is its strong point. It feels full,, heavy, substantial and smooth. Before you swallow, as you draw it in you can tell that it is going to feel good going down. And it does. The bitter hops stays with you and is the calling card it leaves on your palate. Possibly my favorite of my non-favorite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dukefan (215) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2004
As a Imperial IPA fan, I would have to rate this one in my top five. It really shows great signs of sweetness, citrus and bitterness throughout the palate. Impressive.