overall

RATINGS: 4266   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
amneziak (18) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - MAR 28, 2009
Appearance: Pours an impressive clear medium burnt orange color with a diminutive tan-colored head. Right off the bat I can tell you there is not as much head as I normally like to see on an Imperial IPA. Even a forceful swirl of the glass brings minimal head to the surface. There is, however, a nice bit of lacing which at least proves there’s something good going on in this bottle. Smell: When I hear people say that Imperial IPAs smell like cat urine I typically scowl in skepticism. However, I really do get that aroma in the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA; and I mean that in the best way possible. Along with this strong presence of pungent hops and powerful malt comes a touch of orange caramel, and oddly enough, even a faint smell of espresso beans. Taste: This definitely tastes like an Imperial IPA, yet it has a heaviness that you don’t normally find in its class. Even as I taste it I’m reminded of the same bitterness one might expect from the mouth feel of an espresso. And while I do only get a faint taste of coffee, there is clearly enough hops to keep it firmly planted in IPA territory. Mouthfeel: There is a good amount of bitterness here. Although, I would hope that an Imperial IPA would have a touch more luster than this seems to have. The bitterness and flavor profile that is left behind is quite pleasurable, though. Overall: Not as impressed as I’d hoped, but I’d definitely drink a shit ton of these again. The hoppy bitterness is really pleasing and the flavor it leaves behind is quite enjoyable. At 9% ABV, I think this is a good session beer if enjoyed 12 ounces at a time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
quierocerveza (18) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 23, 2009
Flavorful mix of hops and malt, excellent nose and a beautiful outer shell. 90 minute a local rider.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Merin (18) - Arizona, USA - MAR 4, 2010
Very good IPA. Tastes alot like the 60 Min. But slightly more bitter to me. Which is always welcome. Aroma was citrusy. Appearance was that of most IPAs, perfect. Taste was basically perfect. Well balanced and smooth. Palate is comfortable and casual. Over all an exellent IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
thebarnesbomb (18) - Indiana, USA - MAR 14, 2010
Technically a Double IPA, but no doubt one of the best IPA’s around. Fruity hops are prominent, but surprisingly well balanced with malts as well. Excellent beer choice of a slightly higher price range!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johngiolas (18) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - APR 24, 2010
90 Minute was once the benchmark for Double IPAs among my beer-drinking friends. Pliny the Elder has, for me, redefined this variety. 90 Minute is high on hops and malt. It is 90 Minutes malt balance that reduces its appeal as DIPA. 90 minute’s malt balance is cloying, almost syrupy sweet -- it lacks the citrus/grapefruit tartness of the best hop DIPAs. For this reason, 90 Minute is not very drinkable -- a far cry from the two Plinys. Other, far well less known DIPAs, such as Squatters Hop Rising outshine this overrated beer. Not to mention the Russian River Plinys and Alesmith DIPAs. Long live the king, the king is dead. It’s time for Dogfish Head to revisit this variety.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
papajohn56 (18) - Lakeland, USA - JUL 20, 2010
Bottle. Pours a orangy copper. Aroma of pine, with notes of malt. Tastes of loads of hops but is balance by a strong malt profile with just a hint of alcohol lingering on the tongue. My favorite IPA and probably beer out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
paulys55 (18) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2010
Probably my favorite offering from Dogfish, nice floral citrus aroma. Pours golden amber with nice frothy head, sticky lacing. Hops are immediately exploding in my mouth and the booze is almost masked by the intense flavor making this a dangerously easy to drink brew.

kevobutler (18) - USA - APR 26, 2011
great citrusy hop aroma and taste with a strong malt backbone to support it. A staple IPA, one of my favorites.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
greatscott75 (18) - California, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Pours a hazy amber with a 2 finger head that quickly disapates. Nose is bready and a little funky. Taste isn’t that hoppy for a DIPA and has a huge malt backbone.

Quicker (18) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 6, 2013
A great beer, I would say one of the best IPA’s out there for sure. Love this beer!! Great appearance, aroma and taste. Doesn’t get much better than this one.