overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1860   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A strong IPA brewed with real apricots and finished with whole leaf Willamette and Cascade hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3035) - Georgia, USA - JUN 17, 2004
I have been craving a hoppy beer and this being the only one I have in my current stash, I was looking forward to trying it. Itís a solid IPA, but the apricot is very reserved. Iíve had similar peach/apricot aromas from other IPAs (I think itís a combination of yeasty fruitiness and certain types of hops) and Iím not sure that I wasnít looking for it that Iíd notice apricots in this. Itís more apparent in the aroma with a bit of dried apricot lurking under the slightly peppery hops. The flavor is mostly hops, but not overpowering, with a nice strong bitterness in the finish. The color is a dark amber on the red side of the category and the head is small and eggshell white.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JUN 16, 2004
Somewhat a good beer. I love the combination between the genuine hoppy bitterness and the sweet fruity apricot flavor. Another great beer from the mighty brewery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HighlanderOne (985) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - JUN 14, 2004
Interesting. Smells like rotten apricots, but actually not that bad. I didnít detect any apricot in the flavor, but there was definitely something diffferent, a sort of wood essence. Aside from that, itís a well made IPA (Iíd expect nothing else from these guys).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jon112981 (327) - Bristow, Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2004
Golden color. Smells amazingly like a sweet IPA. Sweet, fruity tasting start, goes down smooth, finishes with a little kick of hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2004
UPDATED: APR 13, 2009 From tap in pint. Small whitish head, totally diminishing. Brownish/orangish amber color. Pretty much, I found it as advertised: soft apricot and understated fruit flavors at the begining transitioning into that unmistakable IPA dry hops bitterness that lingers through the finish, which was average length. I thought the sweetness and the fruit balanced really well with the hops.

Re-rate. Recently had another bottle of this. I donít know if the difference has to do with bottle vs. tap, change in recipe, or change in my tastes, but I thought the apricot was way over-the-top and artificial. My friend who enjoys beer but isnít a beer geek gagged and I had to finish it. Itís not horrible, but I had to adjust the rating down. Solidly mediocre.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jtw (1085) - farmington, Michigan, USA - JUN 8, 2004
complex aroma of hops and sweet fruit--obviously apricot. looks like a regular IPA, small lasting head on a golden body. complex enough in the flavor, but it seems like the apricot is there just to mask some of the hops. strangely sweet and bitter at the same time, and not a great combination. definitely an interesting brew and easily worth trying, but not much more than refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 6, 2004
Bottle. Theres no doubt that Dogfish Head are one of my favourite breweries, but iím not so sure if i liked this effort. Fresh and refreshing apricot flavour, light body, both of which is what iím sure they were aiming for. Perhaps its because iím not a big apricot fan in general, it just didnít do anything for me. But i do see how people could like it though, it was OK.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 6, 2004
Pours a nice orange, about the color of dried apricots. Decent head that is about the color of the label. I really like how this one smells! Very fruity and hoppy with that distinctive heavy malt of IPAs. Tastes like a well-constructed IPA with a lot of fruity character. Loads of citrus flavors, as well as a teeny bit of apricot, backed up by a huge malt backbone. All in all, a mighty tasty brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
zach8270 (3370) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JUN 5, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2008 [draft - 10th Annual PA Microbrewers Fest, Pennsylvania Brewing Co. - Pittsburgh, PA] Poured a nice reddish hue with a slightly thin white head. Faint and subtle aroma. I can sort of smell the apricots but mainly I got a hop flavor. The taste is that of an IPA with a very slight hint of fruit [those apricots] underneath. Not as overpowering as I thought it would be. Rather enjoyable brew that was nice and smooth to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Fruity and hoppy aroma with a nice red/orange color. Only a slight tinge of apricot but decent hops. Smooth, crisp, and refreshing.