overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1885   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A strong IPA brewed with real apricots and finished with whole leaf Willamette and Cascade hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FlacoAlto (3810) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Pours a deep copper color, and is quite clear. Topped by an cream colored head that is quite thick. Aromas of apricot, citrus, hops, fruit, and perhaps a hint of mustiness. A silky smooth body up front, but finishes with a sharp hop bitterness and a hint of alcohol. As expected this beer is quite fruity, with the apricot coming into play in the middle of this beer. There is a dry wine like finish to this beer that kicks in after the bitterness. The apricot flavor is not dominating, but adds to the character of this beer, in an aromatic way. Even while I sip this beer the aroma of the apricots is noticeable in the taste, if that makes sense.

This has always been a beer that I have wanted to homebrew since I heard about this beer. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to taste it, and this beer has renewed my interest in brewing an example of my own. I especially like the idea to throw norms to the wind & use an extra hoppy style as the base for a fruit beer. Props to Dogfish Head for another creative/ innovative beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Wow - i really didn't expect to like this very much - so many fruit beers are just....fruity! This beautiful copper colored beer adds apricot as just another ingredient in the mix and keeps it all nicely balanced. Aroma - I thought it would actually be fruity, but hops stood out more. Body is medium thick, juicy. Nice blend of the citrusy hops and apricot flavors. I might have to buy some more of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerGod (5341) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 15, 2004
Thanks to Mike from Bon Vivant for sharing his sample bottle with me! Pours a orange-amber with a small whitish head. Nose is fruit laden with hops. It leans towards apricot but there are other fruit aromas present. The hops seem the driving force behind most of the aroma, though. The taste is essentially an IPA with some fruit towards the finish. We seemed to discern orange and possibly peach but not a stand-out apricot. This was good, so don't get me wrong, just not as apricoty (is that a word?) as I thought it would be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JMerritt (1842) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2004
Sampled at the Peoria Int'l Beer Festival. Light amber colored, with a small white head. Spicy hop aroma, hints of black pepper, I swear. Raw hop flavor, herbally and green, with a stale straw finish. Full and mildly carbonated mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 14, 2004
Amber in color with a large white head. Aroma of fruit cocktail,specifically apricots in s sugar syrup,although very close to peaches.Sweet malt flavor with floral hop character and light citrus. Sorta of like #9 beefed up and injected with life.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 13, 2004
Bottle, 2004 bottling. (3/13/04) After a couple near misses with fruit beers lately, I promised myself to stay away from these things. Next thing I know, I snag a 4-pack out of the hand of the clerk as she's stocking the shelves and run to the cashier, ready to try again. Burnt orange to perfect copper in color. Absolutely clear, glowing, and lovely. Smallish white head (Duvel glass) that fades very quickly. (50F) The aroma is confusing and complex at first, my mind is telling me C-hops, but my instinct is arguing...I decide to wait it out until 60 F and try again. At 58 F I can't wait anymore and dive in. Smells like a Northwest IPA...floral hops - also note a pungent yeastiness emerging as it warms, as with a Belgian strong ale (like Duvel). Some alcohol is present in the nose. Pine, cabbage, reduced OJ, mustard grain...I am tempted to wonder if the beer is infected. I convince myself to have no fear and press on. Flavors are evergreen, bell pepper, orange citrus; velvety smooth front and across middle. The flavor of the beginning vanishes mid-way through and is replaced by an assault of aprihop. The use of apricots is apparent, but it is in no way jammy or artificial. The hops that I initially pegged as three-C's are Amarillo according to the website, so that makes sense and explains the citrusy notes. This beer is aptly named. No alcohol in the flavor, despite the 7% ABV. Not at all sweet or cloying. Very nice diversion for a fruit beer: the fruit only adds to an already tasty concoction, rather than defining the flavor. As the beer continues to warm (now 65-68 F), a bit of sourness comes to the forefront along with aromas and flavors of (I think) must and barnyard that are a wonderful surprise. My only complaint is a touch too much astringency, especially on the finish...a problem I'll happily deal with three more times.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2004
Translucent copper color. Low density short lasting off white head. Malty aroma with a faint hint of apricot. Thin, moderate bitter and sligthly fruity flavor up front with a hoppy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6154) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Thanks to Eric for this beer: Honeyed orangy hue with a white head and some lace. The aroma hints of apricot, floral hops, toasted buttery malts, grapes, and light spices. The taste starts fruity with a sharp bitterness following. A spicy and somewhat winey finish. Medium-bodied with a lively and crisp mouthfeel. A very quaffable fruit beer, surprising since I'm not a huge fan of apricots, recommended since this works.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
temporrari (385) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 7, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2007 Pours deep, transparent orange. Short lived off white head that diminished into nice lacing. Fairly hoppy aroma. Subtle apricots in there. Flavor is smooth with no alcohol detectable. A somewhat underwhelming beer, but decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - MAR 7, 2004
UPDATED: APR 17, 2006 Initial aromas of fresh apricots and fresh hops. A bit earthy, too. The hops jump out first, slowly mingling with the apricot. Malt fills it out at the end. Malty, nutty, almost smokey aftertaste with plenty of piney hops. Can’t really tell if it’s an IPA with fruit or a fruit beer with big hops.