overall

RATINGS: 837   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davisí 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, weíve created our own Bitches Brew - a bold, dark beer thatís a fusion of three threads imperial stout and one thread honey beer with gesho root, a gustatory analog to Milesí masterpiece.Featuring the albumís iconic artwork, created by the late Mati Klarwein, on its label, Dogfish Headís Bitches Brew will be unveiled at SAVOR, An American Craft Beer & Food Experience, June 5, National Building Museum, Washington DC. Havenít experienced the Bitches Brew album? Two 40th anniversary editions of Miles Davisí Bitches Brew -- a Legacy Edition and a deluxe Collectorís Edition -- will be available Tuesday, August 31. The newly created ale is designed, according to Dogfish founder and president Sam Calagione, "as the ultimate partner for chili or spicy curry chicken" and best enjoyed "sipped cool, not cold, from a snifter or red wine glass while listening to the Bitches Brew album." Calagione was drawn to the alchemical spirits in Bitches Brew right out of college, acquiring a copy of the album "within months of the first time I brewed a batch of homebrew in my apartment in New York City. I listened to it when I was writing my Dogfish business plan. I wanted Dogfish Head to be a maniacally inventive and creative brewery, analog beer for the digital age. You could say that my dream was to have Dogfish Head, in some small way, stand for the same thing in the beer world that Bitches Brew stands for in the jazz world. You can imagine how excited we are to be doing this project 17 years after I wrote that business plan." "Thereís a spirit of innovation, of creativity and individuality, thats at the core of Milesí music," said Adam Block, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Legacy Recordings. "Sam and Dogfish Head approach their art from the same place and consequently the marriage is an easy and cool one." Dogfish Head and its "off-centered ales for off-centered people" were the subject of "A Better Brew," an article in The New Yorker (Nov. 24, 2008) examining the rise of extreme beer. "Beer has lagged well behind wine and organic produce in the ongoing reinvention of American cuisine. Yet the change over the past twenty years has been startling," wrote Burkhard Bilger. "Dogfish is something of a mascot for this unruly movement. In the thirteen years since Calagione founded the brewery, it has gone from being the smallest in the country to the thirty-eighth largest. Calagione makes more beer with at least ten per cent alcohol than any other brewer, and his odd ingredients are often drawn from ancient or obscure beer traditions. It is to Budweiser what a bouillabaisse is to fish stock."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jmacatiag (76) - , California, USA - NOV 22, 2010
Brew Masters...thank you. Dogfish Head Bitches brew is great. I had it cool poured into a snifter. It pours out a dark brown color with a think brown head. Retention was great as was the lacing. The aroma was a great mix of chocolate, honey, roasted malts, and what seems to be coffee. The flavor was more along the lines of roasted malts and notes of chocolate. I didnít taste the honey but the sugars was probably used up in fermentation (as the the show brew masters suggests). It has a nice full body and a clean finish. You can taste the alcohol in it a bit but it doesnít distract from the experience, instead it adds to it. Cheers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheGB (480) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 22, 2010
Had at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth. Dark black with a thin head, not much aroma actually. Taste is medium to full bodied with very smooth taste and nice malt. Interesting and very delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
17thfloor (2428) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 21, 2010
Bottle. Glad I shared this. Pretty impressed with this guy, nice piece of brewing here. I think I have notes somewhere? because I canít figure out why I didnít rate it right after drinking. Easily might be one of the most complete DFH brews to date. Reminds me slightly of Paolo Santo, had just enough depth to keep it quite drinkable. Actually, much more drinkable than I was expecting, in terms of body that is. Too lazy to try and write down taste details, but I remember ;)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jeff789 (1404) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 21, 2010
Thick dark huge tan head, nice lacing... Honey and grapes over a roasty malty aroma, dark fruity... Distinct fruitiness, honey imparts an element of sweetness without being over the top... not nearly the roast or chocolate i was expecting... Not nearly as flavorful as id like an imperial stout to be...

smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Bottle. Ginger Man, NYC. Iíd seen this on some menus in September/October but finally splurged for a bottle. I was not disappointed. I couldnít get a sense of the honey in either the aroma or taste, but there were wonderful chocolate and coffee notes that more than made up for it. Nice, warming, smooth, I was more than a little bit disappointed when the bottle was empty. Iíll have to try it again soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beersearcher (2294) - Glendale, California, USA - NOV 15, 2010
Pours a hazy brown almost black with a light brown head and lacing. Pretty beer to look at. I donít know about the honey and gesho. I am not tasting them but I am getting a lingering stout with great coffee notes. After having more sips, I am noticing some pepper in the aroma and on the back end of the tongue too.

SDalkoholic (2089) - Linda Vista, California, USA - NOV 14, 2010
Bottle from South Bay Drugs: What an amazing concept and an honorable tribute to Miles Davis. I personally thought this double LP record was amazing the first time I heard it, and itís just one of those records I refuse to sell in my extensive vinyl jazz collection. Created a small and delicately refined layer of foam head while the liquid was a jet black color. The aroma is different than other stouts. But still has a sweet nose with a background of diary and milk chocolate. This beer has introduced me to the gesho root which I had never heard of before. Iím not sure if I am able to distinguish this new flavor since there are so many other bold flavors happening. Some of these flavors are bitter cocoa powder and bits of dark chocolate, roasted malt, black ground coffee, and an aftertaste of coconut milk. This is a very rich and complex beer just like the masterpiece album Bitches Brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
danielcurtis81 (1517) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 14, 2010
Served from a 750 mL bottle thanks to Nolan. The appearance is a motor oil pour to a high gloss flat black with a lighter tan head. The aromas are fairly light with some honey and mild roasted malts. The flavors are a burnt edged but mild roasted malt. Honeycomb cereal, touch of chocolate. The mouth is medium bodied with a bit to open carbonation. Not a bad IRS but not my most exciting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
GT2 (7863) - Carlsbad, California, USA - NOV 9, 2010
750mL. Pours a clear brown to near black with an average, healthy, tan to brown head. Great retention and lace. Nose is pretty much all black olive tapenade, tobacco along with barbecue ribs, chocolate, sweet honey, maple glazed barbecue. Taste is chalky, watery, thin, bittersweet, some caramel, toffee. But as I savor this, I come to a very haunting conclusion. This beer tastes almost exactly like grape flavored cough syrup, namely Dimetapp. I was enjoying it and now all of a sudden I cannot finish my pour. Literally, this went down the drain.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jayb0 (981) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 8, 2010
An inspired beer that for me is one more beer that has helped DFH regain imo some momentum of late. I love their spirit but after a few too many misses Iíve been real happy with some of the latest offerings.